• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bandaging and Health Regen

nebsif

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
So practically, what's the difference between the two?

In BC2 (never played COD MP) after getting shot it takes some time for the health regen to kick in and only then heal you up, in BF3 if ur supressed it wont even start healing.
Say RO had this system, would you feel a difference in gameplay when most rounds 1 hit kill anyway? Or better even, say it was like in RO1, you get shot and if its not lethal you simply stay with low health+get limb penalties, would you miss that silly & pointless bandage thing we have now? (hell no)
When you bandaged and got killed a minute later, did you EVER EVER EVER think "it was because I had low health/was wounded" or never notice it because the outcome would be the same regardless? (nope)
Do you ever change your tactix and following actions after you get wounded considering how lethal&accurate the weps are? (nope)

Even health regen + bloody screen make a better job at keeping people hang back/hug the dirt for some good 30 seconds before they rush onward, here I cross open space, get leg shot, 4 seconds (prone/unprone included) and im rushing forward again.

tl;dr

My point is that the current bandage system is just health regen with a different name, one of those "make it more forgiving" features that contribute nothing to the game other than making it possible for newbs to shrug off rifle rounds in the speed of a sneeze.
Personally i'd just be happy if we had doubled bandage&bleed out times + limb damage/penalties, but it starts to feel it would be easier to ask and get tank unlocks like coaxial and HE rounds than this. :(

The difference is that bandaging does not regain health in RO2. It only prevents you from loosing more health by bleeding out.

There is no health regeneration for infantry in RO2.
There is however a tank repair functionality in the tank resupplies.

Is there any effect on player performance for being wounded? I have not noticed any thing in sway or stanima, only that my guy cries in pain sometimes.

Thanks for coming on the forums and answering questions btw.

Upvote 0
Is there any effect on player performance for being wounded? I have not noticed any thing in sway or stanima, only that my guy cries in pain sometimes.

You die if you get shot in the same area again I believe, no other effects other than your guy whimpering a bit every now and then (I think?).

Upvote 0
A LOT of people complain about the bandage system. I personally LOVE it.

There's a balance of realism to gameplay. If there wasn't, we'd all be playing characters laying in holes freezing and starving to death.

Bandaging is limited. Health regen is unlimited.

Bandaging makes you venerable to enemy attack and immobile. Health regen lets you keep moving or even camp.

A quick field dressing (though much slower in RL) is something people actually do. Health regen is 100%magical or a physical mutation (i.e. Wolverine.

I wouldnt have a problem with bandaging taking 2-3 times as long on realism, but the way it is now is just...more fun. You're injured and you need to tend to yourself. Even if just to make sure you're still alive.

Upvote 0
A LOT of people complain about the bandage system. I personally LOVE it.

There's a balance of realism to gameplay. If there wasn't, we'd all be playing characters laying in holes freezing and starving to death.
That is such a ridiculous strawman that it used far too often. What the **** does that have to do with anything?
Bandaging is limited. Health regen is unlimited.
I've never noticed it being limited as there are few scenarios where you take three shots and survive. Makes it feel like I always have a bandage at hand when wounded.
Bandaging makes you venerable to enemy attack and immobile. Health regen lets you keep moving or even camp.
k
A quick field dressing (though much slower in RL) is something people actually do. Health regen is 100%magical or a physical mutation (i.e. Wolverine.
Oh come on, RO2 bandages don't work like quick field dressings. They might as well be magical if that's an argument. You could argue all day about if it acts like health regen or other technicalities, I don't really give two darn's. The worst thing about health regen is apparent, if I shoot someone and he doesn't die it feels like a wasted bullet. Whereas if there was actual damage I'll know that he is crippled.

Nothing kills immersion more than shooting a guy in the leg, then in the arm and having him run up the stairs and drive his bayo up your neck.
Still, mods will fix it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What? In BC2 you never regenerated health. Unless that's some feature in normal mode I'm not aware of. Never played normal, only Hardcore. There's never been any health regeneration in RO2, and bandaging is not the same. Say you get shot 3 times and somehow live and bandage yourself, one more shot no matter where it is, you're dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

There is an increase in rifle sway, about a 2x increase which is noticeable... but come on, 2 times a number really close to 0 is still a number really close to zero...

Upvote 0
You are BLEEDING slowly. You have three seconds to live.

Apparently soldiers during the battle of Stalingrad had about a pint of blood total in their bodies.

Bleeding out should take much longer as should bandaging. As it stands, people actually have a decent chance of bandaging in the open while still under fire.

It's only been 3 seconds when I was injured badly.

Bleeding slowly it literally takes me about half a minute to die. Still not like real life, but much longer than you stated.

Upvote 0
I know(!!!!) and the difference in gameplay between this and health regen is almost null.

We've experimented with permanent crippling effects in the past, during the MOD days. The problem we encountered was that people who got injured simply suicided and re-spawned rather then playing on with the damage effects. We introduced a crippling effect that vanished over time after that fiasco (regeneration effect). Basically bleed-out and bandaging is a variant on this theme.

So no, currently, due to experience, permanent damage systems are not in infantry combat, only in tanks. That is probably why we have a repair system for tanks as well. My best guess would be that if we would have a permanent damage system for infantry, we would be 1 small step away from health packs for infantry as well to prevent people from just commiting suicide.

Just my 2 cts.

Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
Here are just a couple reasons the bandaging system is better than nothing at all.

#1. It forces the enemy to take a moment to stop returning fire and bandage themselves, allowing you to get into a better position if they decide to try and return fire again, or it will force them to retreat.

#2. People who do not bandage will bleed out. Yellow wounds are a slow bleed, meaning they have 5 or so seconds to bandage yourself, If you dont, you bleed out. a Red wound is serious bleeding and requires immediate bandaging or a second or 2 later, you bleed out.

The bleeding system is great for when people are crossing a field, and you wing them. No bleeding system means he can keep running. A bleeding system could force him to bandage before he can make it to cover, or risk bleeding out. If he bandages while in the open, you have an easy shot.

When assaulting or defending, forcing a bleeding wound on the enemy can give you those momentary seconds needed to get into position, or to go on the offensive, because the guy hides to bandage.

I give it my approval 100%.

Reactions: GeneralGinger
Upvote 0
I understand the purpose of the bandaging system, it allows for wounds to have some effect (though minimal) and allows for the combat to continue without halt. However I too believe that wounding has too little of an effect on game play.

In RO1 when you got shot in the hand you dropped your weapon, or if you got shot in the leg/foot you slowed down. These were things that stopped you dead in your tracks and made you have to recover before continuing the fight.

I understand that in RO2 the developers wanted combat to be much more fluid and intense. That is why they added systems like the movement/vaulting system which makes movement much more natural. The bandage system is another attempt by them to make combat constant and intense. Unfortunately in this case the trade off is that being shot and wounded is simply not as life threatening as it should be, it is easily shrugged off and the person is usually able to continue to charge despite their injuries.

Now one could make the case that Adrenaline would dampen the effects of wounds to the point where they are accurately portrayed in game. But I don't believe the effects of Adrenaline are so great that this would happen every time no matter the soldier.

I think that a hybrid between the old system (from RO1) and the system would be the best option. I believe that foot/leg wounds should slow the characters down, and that hand/forearm shots should cause the players to drop their weapon in hand. I also think that the wounds should bleed and should have to be bandaged to stop bleeding. This would offer a good mix of realism and game play. I personally think that the bandage times should be longer, but I can understand not implementing them for the sake of more casual or "smooth" game play.

Edit- To reply to Sasquatches last comment. I believe that the -2 team penalty for suicides is enough of a deterrent to keep wounded people from suiciding in droves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So no, currently, due to experience, permanent damage systems are not in infantry combat
What we have now is the worst. I liked the RO1 way more (temp penalties?), getting shot in the leg or hand ment something and felt more immersive, while bandaging faster than you can get a plaster out of ur pocket is plain stupid and became a mandatory reflex players developed w/o much or any thinking involved.

You guys could at least increase the time it takes to bleed out and bandage to make it somewhat more meaningful, currently people often get behind a corner in under 10m firefights and bandage before the other guy can come close and finish you off while vulnerable.

Upvote 0
The problem we encountered was that people who got injured simply suicided and re-spawned rather then playing on with the damage effects.

Seriously? You guys can figure out how to suck points away from me if I shoot one of my idiot teammates who decides to stand in front of my deployed LMG, but can't figure out how to penalize suicide more when injured so you decided to go with health regen?

I'm not exactly buying that... I suspect it was one of many business decisions to make the game more appealing to a larger market and not a technical issue.

Upvote 0
We've experimented with permanent crippling effects in the past, during the MOD days. The problem we encountered was that people who got injured simply suicided and re-spawned rather then playing on with the damage effects. We introduced a crippling effect that vanished over time after that fiasco (regeneration effect). Basically bleed-out and bandaging is a variant on this theme.

So no, currently, due to experience, permanent damage systems are not in infantry combat, only in tanks. That is probably why we have a repair system for tanks as well. My best guess would be that if we would have a permanent damage system for infantry, we would be 1 small step away from health packs for infantry as well to prevent people from just commiting suicide.

Just my 2 cts.

we would be 1 small step away from health packs for infantry

lulz... And the insta-bandage is better // different how?
As for the suicide, I don't believe it would be much of a problem in RO:II, what with the super awesome ranking honour system we have now.

;)

Upvote 0