• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Your team is wiped on HoE, you're playing Berserker... what now?

Lord Exor

Aug 6, 2013
So this has happened to me a few times recently, in that I find myself being the last man standing on a Hell on Earth game. So in this scenario, what are the best tactics to use? I often find myself beset by zeds that I can only assume teleport in an attempt to cut me off and block my movements. What can you do to avoid having the zeds always intercept and surround you?

Currently the spawn system is like that, so AFAIK you can't avoid it, however you can be more careful of when to engage and when to move, making sure to time your reloads and heals or whatnot before you turn the next corner with possible spawns. because of the same avoid turning corners if there is an option.

Upvote 0
If you're really worried about a corner you could chuck a grenade there before you run in.

If possible try to avoid hugging the wall as you turn the corner and, instead, turn the corner as wide as you possibly can. I've found that this makes enemies (at least slightly) less likely to spawn right on top of you and if there are enemies around the corner it gives you some extra time to mentally prepare so that you handle them well.

Just like with any other perk that has been suddenly forced into kiting, try not to pay attention to what's behind you because what is in front of you is more important and most likely easier to break through safely.

If you suddenly run into a big zed as you're running along, don't fall prey to the Berzerker tendency to hit first and think later. Busting through safely is more likely to happen if you parry their blow and focus on killing any trash that's blocking your path around and away from the big zed instead.

And, finally, if the rest of your team wipes and you're using Dreadnought instead of Skirmisher curse Kenshiro, because you're already dead.

Upvote 0
If you have the pulv, crovel or evis, you can bash as you engage zeds around a corner, which will allow you to slip past them. I find it to be more reliable and effective than trying to parry while running past and potentially getting knocked around.

Unfortunately you can't really be told how to carry properly. It requires experience, which means your team has to wipe lots before you can reliably carry with 50+ zeds left. Zerk with skirmisher is the perk to be for it, with firebug coming second due to fear and panic, or maybe medic for being able to heal yourself lots. When you're the last one left and scurrying around the map trying to survive, you'll often be cut off and killed really really quickly. Eventually you'll learn the safest routes to kite, and the most dangerous corners/stairs/doorways. There are some really unconventional routes I've started taking on Burning Paris which seem to be much safer than the ones I see people typically take. It's something that takes a lot of time to learn for each map, and requires a lot of wipes. I guess you could always try playing solo with some faked players. That might give you a feel for it.

By the way, it's unlikely to be due teleporting zeds, and more likely die to really close spawns. They spawn right around the corner, and even right behind you. I have videos of this that I might upload sometime, because it really needs to be fixed.

Upvote 0
Pharrahnox;n2274176 said:
If you have the pulv, crovel or evis, you can bash as you engage zeds around a corner, which will allow you to slip past them. I find it to be more reliable and effective than trying to parry while running past and potentially getting knocked around.

Unfortunately you can't really be told how to carry properly. It requires experience, which means your team has to wipe lots before you can reliably carry with 50+ zeds left. Zerk with skirmisher is the perk to be for it, with firebug coming second due to fear and panic, or maybe medic for being able to heal yourself lots. When you're the last one left and scurrying around the map trying to survive, you'll often be cut off and killed really really quickly. Eventually you'll learn the safest routes to kite, and the most dangerous corners/stairs/doorways. There are some really unconventional routes I've started taking on Burning Paris which seem to be much safer than the ones I see people typically take. It's something that takes a lot of time to learn for each map, and requires a lot of wipes. I guess you could always try playing solo with some faked players. That might give you a feel for it.

By the way, it's unlikely to be due teleporting zeds, and more likely die to really close spawns. They spawn right around the corner, and even right behind you. I have videos of this that I might upload sometime, because it really needs to be fixed.

Please do, i'm all for a challenge, but this type feels just very artificial and takes away from the fun for me and a lot of people, i'd rather have a harder time with the zeds themselves than with warp and sensorial inconcistency. Also great advice.

Also the zeker has it very good in this situation, lately i've found myself in it but in SUI with sharp, very little room for mistakes, still can be fun but it gets old.

Upvote 0
true, the only major difference is that since it was slower paced, and it had lots of designated spawn areas in the sides of the route it was more likely to control the spawns to some extent, while now it's more likely to get more spawns right in front/on top. so it's more messy but still manageable, but difficulty depending on maps/perks vary more IMO.

Upvote 0