• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your Brutal and honest opinion About Red Assault

LATTEH

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
I didnt put this in the leveldesign section because i would probably get more common players to post here. And In risk of looking like an idiot i wanted to gather feedback on my map From the community (You). I know it isnt that popular and has some problems, but I want to try and make a better level for everyone that plays. It won't be able to get improved unless you guys can say what you think and dont like about my level.

Be honest about it. Just be prepared for some follow question's if you only post it sucks. Thank you in advance. How much the level gets Improved Is in your hands!

I haven't played the latest release that you just put out.

It doesn't show up too much except on the RGN server and I think I played it last week (or the week before) a few times. Because of that I can only offer a vague opinion till I try the new version or play the old one again.

I like the map (past version), but I believe it needed some work at the time. I remember that because Mike specifically asked me my thoughts. It felt like it had some balance issues when the map was full, favored Germans, but that was just an impression and haven't played it enough. I also think there were areas where I couldn't mantle thru some windows.

Sorry, that is all I have for now. I'll offer more feedback when I get a chance to play it again.

Upvote 0
Here are 3 things that I feel should be looked at...

On the Russian right flank nearest spawn, that right side should be opened up more. Otherwise the Russians are channeled into a total frontal attack on Objective C ( the walled courtyard)

Also, the last objective thats almost right in front of the German spawn, is basically sitting in a bowl which becomes a shooting gallery for the Germans..Not enough cover from people shooting at you from above.

Also, the German spawn is way to far away from the initial objectives and way to close for the final objective...

Overall, its a fun map. These are the only problems in my opinion that I felt would improve the map...

Upvote 0
For me, the map just did not feel unique. It felt like just a random attack on just some random buildings for little reason. The name even gives off that feeling 'Red Assault'. Changing the name to something more interesting would gather more interest. It's not necessarily a bad map, it just feels very generic as of now.

ps do some investigating on the destroyed buildings directly north of the last cap. The map boundaries and collision/blocking are very glitchy, and players that wander around into the back ends of those buildings will get stuck.

Upvote 0
Its kinda green...

Other than that, played a few rounds, and was fun.

The last cap, the valley seems a little anti-climatic only because it seems an odd area to capture. Perhaps change F-Valley to F-(right side) and G-(left side) and move them on the flanks? I know, a big thing to do. BUT if it were feasible, make them unrecapturable.

When I play more, I will look are more stuff.

Upvote 0
Artistically, I don't really see the map as making sense... it doesn't feel like an area that people live and work in, and a lot of the architecture clashes. I'll echo VietViking and agree that the map design doesn't really feel that compelling, and the lack of a historical context contributes to that.

Not sure if the issues above are easy to fix...

Upvote 0
Artistically, I don't really see the map as making sense... it doesn't feel like an area that people live and work in, and a lot of the architecture clashes. I'll echo VietViking and agree that the map design doesn't really feel that compelling, and the lack of a historical context contributes to that.

Not sure if the issues above are easy to fix...

I'm going to have to disagree with Nikita on this one.
I felt it did have a good theme; to me, it felt left fighting in a political section rather than an industrial.

I actually played this map Friday on the Bloodbath server.
I kinda liked it. I didn't get the chance to advance past the first few objectives (stayed mostly in the skirmish area) but I thought it was a sound design.
My complaints revolve around the fountain and left side of the square. Making the fountain an objective means that every attempt to cap it alerts all the guns to that 10x10ft square. This can be bad if there are multiple people playing with grenades, but good if a SL smokes the area and there is cover to hide in (Fox holes, ditches).
The ruined part of the square I found a little confusing. It seems like it was split into 1 section where you can't advance and another where you can go outside or up the stairs. I would just consider revising it a bit.

My thoughts on why it hasn't garnered much attention is that combat seems too close. I still feel the community is looking for the bigger-maps like Bridges and Winterwald(I LOVE this map. Why has everyone stopped hosting it?) instead of another CQC map.

What I would do in your shoes is expand the square to Fallen Fighters size, and then design around it. Open it up and then develop accordingly for an advance on the bridge and then on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Winterwald(I LOVE this map. Why has everyone stopped hosting it?)

I need to start a fan club. I think people just don't want to download it probably or hate the fog.

For Red Assault, I like the design of the city. It is very nice. I think it lacks life. It doesn't look like anyone has lived there for some time. There are no cars. The houses are empty. The walls have no pictures. Where are the kitchens?

I see a lot of debris but its mainly just bricks. I think there should be tables and bookshelves stuffed in there.

As for people saying they don't understand the end goal on this map, I think they are trying to recapture the city.

What I would do in your shoes is expand the square to Fallen Fighters size, and then design around it. Open it up and then develop accordingly for an advance on the bridge and then on.

This would require a whole redesign of the map. It is hard work moving stuff around and expanding objectives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a good map. Overall there is nothing wrong with the map and its design. I think some of its issues may fall in the gameplay. Just a couple things I noticed were:

1. Allies spawn point needs to move up to B/C at the very least when D (Bridge) is capped. Once D is capped, you still spawn from the original end of the map which is 200 meters from E. I think some maps (Mamyev,Bridges,Barashka) can get away with these spawn distances but this is not that type of map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126662787

2. Time needs to be increased
Unless the Allies simply bowl through the caps, the alloted time is too short. It is very easy to get bogged down at D (Bridge) and a few more minutes would even this out.

3. I wonder how gameplay would be affected if A cap was eliminated and Axis started out by occupying all other caps. The A cap capture is essentially a "gimmie" and pointless. Axis put up small fight for B/C but things really don't kick off until the Bridge.

4. Are you able to mantle anywhere along the bridge to cross over through the river itself? I attempted to do this but could not. this might lend itself to less bottlenecking on the bridge as well.

5. I liked the green hue myself, it reminded me of the end battle scene in Saving Private Ryan when there is darker hue to the screen.

6. On a very small note, I noticed the middle window when facing D from Allies side of building is unable to be mantled, not sure if this is by design or not.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126662792

Overall I think it is a GREAT map and I really enjoy playing it. Maybe a little tweking of the gameplay is needed. Sorry to ramble on, but I truly appreciate all of the time and effort that all the map makers here have put forth. Thank You for your time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There also needs to be more than one radio for the allies...maybe set up another one in the hospital...otherwise the commander pretty much has to sit out the whole match next to the radio in the rear. The last objective is virtually impossible to take for the reds. I have never see the reds win this map. Ive seen them roll through the first 5 points in 5-6 minutes only to get stuck there for the rest of the game. Overall, I love the feel of the map. Thanks for taking the time to make it!!!

Upvote 0