• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Release WIP - Sound Mutator

Not sure about this sound mutator.

tryed it in the workshop and for me i find the reverberation does not feel right. I hope that makes sense. And it goes for all the sounds in it.

They are quite tinny,like they are in a room.

But they do have a rawness that i think is lacking from the original RO2 sounds... the original sounds probably just need to be sharper for my liking rather than what is in this mutator.

Being shot at by the Russian LMG with bullets past the head is a bit wierd the sound..i like having the bullets past the head, but not that sound.

Also i found a bug, the mounted Russin MG on the first set of houses on spartnovka does not sound right.... this one:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159966742

Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately that's the case for all the Maxim's, as well as any guns that've been changed and have looping sounds as well as single shot sounds. I haven't cracked that problem yet. I'll probably remove those changes and leave them untouched for now.

Would you mind being a bit more specific with your issues? Pick one thing you really don't like as an example.

Upvote 0
New update to the mod is here:

All right, I bit the bullet and uploaded what I've got at the moment. :D

Last time some people had issues with the mod not working immediately after an update, restarting the game fixed this for them.

Note: I the dynamic movement is functional but very exaggerated at the moment (so there isn't a placebo effect ;) ) particularly in the snow. Try running uphill in the snow, lol.

I could use some input on what you guys think is a reasonable percentage for certain conditions; i.e. if a player is running uphill in snow, he should move only at 60% max speed etc.

Currently the only effect terrains are snow (reduction) , pavement (bonus), and shallow water (reduction.)

Traveling uphill will stack a reduction on whatever terrain you're on.

Barring any game breaking bugs being discovered, I'd like to formally submit it for white listing within the week (as soon as I fix any easy things you guys find.)

Edit: be sure to check the configuration menu for the new things!

Upvote 0
Jesus christ, was playing this on Mamyev, and I can say that it's the first time that I've ever been scared playing a video game, haha. Everything is really 'abrupt' and loud. Really, really immersive. The only things I've found was that some sounds cut off (or don't echo out), and I think that the incoming whistle could do with a bit of variation, at least for the map arty (the one that's there for decoration). The map arty becomes a bit repetitious. But all in all, this is so good, can't wait for it to be white-listed.

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity: have you altered the explosion radii of the RS grenades?

Also, your alternate sounds for the RS weapons are great, particularly the Type 38's; that rifle has such a satisfyingly taut, percussive pop to it.

I'm away from my code at the moment, but no I don't believe so. The fragmentation will reach out and touch you though, and it can go about 25m.

Thanks! I'd love to find that magic combination for the M1903 as well.

Upvote 0
I'm away from my code at the moment, but no I don't believe so. The fragmentation will reach out and touch you though, and it can go about 25m.

Thanks! I'd love to find that magic combination for the M1903 as well.

This mutator really does make in-game grenades the fatal fistfuls they truly are.

I think what you have done with the M1903 is more than satisfactory. Of the M1903s I've heard being fired, you've handily nailed the prolonged, booming crack the rifle possesses. If you feel the urge to work on it more, I'd say it would only need very slight tweaking if at all.

Upvote 0
I was thinking something you could add to the Mutator.

I think it would work well on the upcoming maggot hill and even spartnovca as they are maps that look like hot days...

Cicadas and maybe bees..more flys near dead bodys.
I found this:
~ Sound Therapy - Hot Summer Day ~ - YouTube

That is what the game misses most, the atmospheric sounds that are such a juxtaposition to the sound of the battle, quite eerie. (i dont think it needs the birds though) especially in the summer type maps.

This one in the Jungle, i think it might really only work on Kobura map, or maybe hanto? Guadacanal?

Hot jungle day - the relaxing sound of the jungle - YouTube

Upvote 0
I was thinking something you could add to the Mutator.

I think it would work well on the upcoming maggot hill and even spartnovca as they are maps that look like hot days...

Cicadas and maybe bees..more flys near dead bodys.
I found this:
~ Sound Therapy - Hot Summer Day ~ - YouTube

That is what the game misses most, the atmospheric sounds that are such a juxtaposition to the sound of the battle, quite eerie. (i dont think it needs the birds though) especially in the summer type maps.

This one in the Jungle, i think it might really only work on Kobura map, or maybe hanto? Guadacanal?

Hot jungle day - the relaxing sound of the jungle - YouTube

As I understand it something like this is most easily done by mappers. However, I have long considered adding a component to pawns that randomly plays ambient sounds (or loops a very long track like one of those.) The only problem that arises then is the file size, and I'm already nearing the 200MB Workshop limit. Rest assured this is on my TO DO list.

Upvote 0
I will use Kita Jima as an example. I am fairly certain that I have seen and heard plenty of bug and birds.

In fact (I could be wrong here), I have sometimes seen where birds take off and it usually means there is a player moving thru that area. If I am right, that is pretty neat.

So as Dibbler says, its something that needs to be added by the mappers.

Upvote 0
Kitajima has awesome atmospheric bird and insect sounds, it's very immersive. I've grown very fond of playing that map with a low player count just because of the sounds. Everyone is sneaking around and because of the heavy cover you are better off listening for other players nearby than sticking your head out. I haven't noticed birds flying off or changing their calls when humans are nearby, but that would be a fabulous thing indeed.

Upvote 0
I haven't noticed birds flying off or changing their calls when humans are nearby, but that would be a fabulous thing indeed.

Yeah, if you are Japanese and laying in wait and see some birds take off from the American side, glance in that direction. It could be coincidence but I always recall seeing at least one American emerge from that spot.

Upvote 0