• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will TW ever make the rest of the tanks like RO1 had?

No, Im not trolling. Why did they think 2 tanks was good enough for this game in the first place? When the many vehicles for Ro1 was plentiful? They overstretched their resources. So can't they just release the tools so modders can make the vehicles instead?

In all fairness, there are 4 tanks and 2 transports in the vanilla game. The Gentleman who answered you above has actually already released a mod that adds a functioning Japanese Ha Go to Several RS maps. I would not expect any more official releases of vehicles in this game as the next TWI game, RS2 is already being promoted.

Upvote 0
Not to mention a freelancer seems to be crediting the panzer IV and T-34 models from RO2 to him. Which would mean TWI didn't make them internally. 3 months per tank they said.

Plus you need maps to stick them on. Also they are far more complex than RO1 tanks.

Manpower and priorities. I would also reccomend reading some feedback for their other tanks they introduced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yoshiro said there wont be more than two tanks, as the players didnt used them wisely in RO1.Just imagine how you recreated about 20 vehicles, but everyone uses only 2 of them. TWI dont need things like that.

What??? This was completely 100% opposite. Furthermore ro1 mod makers were making mods with NEW vehicles and these were also played by the players, at least when RO1 didnt start to die slowly.
What is it supposed to mean at all, how do you imagine it? Lets say germans have Tigers, Panthers, Pz4 and Pz3 on respawn but players take only pz4, same amount of different tanks on soviet spawn but soviets take only t34?

And right now we have 4 tanks in game, do you see players completely ignoring pz3 and T-70? Even if these are the only available?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Historically all sides tended to only use 1 tank for 1 role. Beciase they only needed one tank for one role. Which generally ended up as recon, main battle tank and tank destroyer. Early in the war they also had infantry support but that was phased out as all tanks even SPGs could perform That role.

Only in times of desperation were many more types of tanks used. They would use anything they could get their hands on. Rather than the best they could get their hands on.

So if you give the player a choice of many tanks they will only take the best tanks. So yes yoshiros observations matches general human nature. Why gimp yourself?

Panzer III transitioned to the panzer IV which then was replaced by the Panther. Why would anyone use the first two of you have them all 3 as an option? Panzer IV would probably see the smallest amount of use as well.

Time and effort wasted on people who haven't figured out which tank is best yet. Restricting certain tanks to certain tank commander roles only mean people don't pick the role. Just look at any RO2 tank heavy map with light and medium armour. After the first 5 minutes you don't see any t-70s or panzer IIIs due to them being frustrated by being wiped by t-34s and panzer IVs. Not to mention the T-70 and Panzer III can't even kill each other lol. Their frontal armpur is too thick so neither of them can penatrate each other it's hilarious. You can run out of AP ammo before one dies. You are better off using HE shells. As that always deals damage on impact penatration or not. How little it may be.

Upvote 0
So if you give the player a choice of many tanks they will only take the best tanks. So yes yoshiros observations matches general human nature. Why gimp yourself?

You probably dont understand what you are talking about because you didnt play ro1, at least this is the impression i get after these words.

In ro1 tanks were not controlled by roles, they were just spawning together with players, and those who choosed to be tank crews had to spawn as a walking human first and then go to tank and then press use button.

If, lets say, All tigers and panthers are already taken and are fighting somewhere on the map, you can only take other tanks, pz4 and pz3 and so on. You dont have a choice. This is how all tanks were used in ro1.

IF in RO2 T-70 or Pz3 are not being used then this is purely role design (or/and map design) flaw. If players are always getting choice between better and worse tank they will definitely take the better one obviously. This is the same if all riflemen had a choice between bolt action rifle and mkb42 fully upgraded.

I definitely remember that on maps like Arad there were tank crew roles that were only able to take pz3 or t70, but i am not sure how it works now.

Upvote 0
Tanks were abused in other ways with that system. You know that. It was a flawed system and still is if you play darkest hour. In fact darkest hour has actually changed it to be similar to how it is in RO2 anyway that's how flawed it was. People taking tank roles and treating them how halftracks are treated in RO2 no. Only they are wasting a far more useful asset.

Not to mention you always saw people hanging around the vehicle spawn areas waiting for the good tanks. Again wasting the damn class and there was ALWAYS at least one. So it doesn't even fix that issue. It creates more issues and makes another issue slightly less of an issue which isn't an overall improvment.

Upvote 0
What??? This was completely 100% opposite. Furthermore ro1 mod makers were making mods with NEW vehicles and these were also played by the players, at least when RO1 didnt start to die slowly.
What is it supposed to mean at all, how do you imagine it? Lets say germans have Tigers, Panthers, Pz4 and Pz3 on respawn but players take only pz4, same amount of different tanks on soviet spawn but soviets take only t34?

And right now we have 4 tanks in game, do you see players completely ignoring pz3 and T-70? Even if these are the only available?

Ok, I lied and was wrong about RO1, but he said in Steam group chat that in fact, tanks werent used wisely in RO2, no need to make more of them just for a tip, like Gumrak RO2 map is RIP.

Upvote 0
Ok, I lied and was wrong about RO1, but he said in Steam group chat that in fact, tanks werent used wisely in RO2, no need to make more of them just for a tip, like Gumrak RO2 map is RIP.

Oh that genius "Gumrak ded = players dont like tanks" argument.
I will just quote some 2 years old responses to it. I cut off offensive parts as they are not the point and i dont want to get infraction.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Oh that genius "Gumrak ded = players dont like tanks" argument.
I will just quote some 2 years old responses to it. I cut off offensive parts as they are not the point and i dont want to get infraction.

Spoiler!

Personally, I played Gumrak not too much, about 10 times in total and I some kind loved it, so I cant really make adequate conclusions, judge or say Gumrak is RIP, at least because TWI have been set up RO2 in Stalingrad, not just in the whole Eastern front.

Upvote 0
Gumrak is dead becuase it was broken for 2 years. Tickets always went negative. No server has it becuase no server wanted a broken map. If tripwire is making judgements on tank usage based off gumrak that would be a very stupid thing to do.

Arad 2 isn't played becuase that map is very unbalanced and is over in the first 5 minutes.

Poor map design and maps being broken shouldn't determine how popular tanks are. It doesn't at all actually.

Upvote 0
I know and can understand the reasoning there won't be any more official tanks for RO2. I don't like it and I know many many others that agree with me, but it seems it takes far too long to create them for the little reward this far into the games life.

As far as ROOST was concerned, I loved using all the different tanks, especially the smaller ones. Its one of the reason I loved the Carpathian Crosses Mod so much, highly underrated if you ask me.

And while there were people who would wait around in the spawn for a Tiger, most of the people looked for a few seconds, then went to another tank. So sorry Lemonater47, I call BS on your post :p :D

------------------

RO2 had many great improvements over ROOST being that it was newer, but comparing the games for the time when they were made, I still think ROOST is the superior game and tanks and other vehicles played a great part in that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:cool:

I suspect the simpler RO1 vehicle model coding could be adapted to RO2. And this would make creating new vehicles much easier. But the work would have to come from the hands of modders. There is little incentive for TWI to burden the business model with it. A small studio can't afford much of anything that does not result in a quick return on investment.

Upvote 0