• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will this game be only Stalingrad?

Nicholas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
I would really like to see other maps come out from all over the Eastern front, including updated versions of OST maps.

Stalingrad was basically the bloodiest battle ever but what about battles like Leningrad, Kursk, and Berlin, those maps were epicness.:IS2:

Like Ramm said in the bashandslash interview - all the battles they portrayed over many years - were essentially the same thing.
Equal arms vs eachother.

Whether it was tanks vs tanks, infantry vs infantry - all they did was create balance between the available technology (i.e balanced late war tanks vs late tanks, early tanks vs early tanks) - which whilst broad it its portrayal really differs insignificantly from one another.

So they've decided to go with one location instead. It's still very broad in terms of engagement types, but it allows them to create far more detail in the world.

The mod community can take care of the rest, if they choose.

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
One word: modders

oh actually there is whole sentense: full RO2:HoS development kit will be released in BOX, in premiere day.

;)

What are these things things you call full sentences?... I can't wait to see the awesome custom maps. There are some great custom Ost front maps. Can't wait to see what new maps pop up and some remakes as well.

Upvote 0
We all know that modders wont restrict themselves to one theme anyway, and for that matter, TWI themselves may expand the horizon with updates in the years to come, you never know, so i doubt Stalingrad will be the only thing we play for long.
well seeing that theres already A rising Storm, In country and a WW1 in the works, i'd say theres enough variety for all, just there:D

Upvote 0
well seeing that theres already A rising Storm, In country and a WW1 in the works, i'd say theres enough variety for all, just there:D

It doesen't even have to be that complicated (IE big total conversion mods), there's nothing stopping modders from making re-makes of RO:Ost maps or brand new maps on the east-front that aren't from the Stalingrad region or era, there's plenty potential in all kinds of 1941-1943 maps that have nothing to do with Stalingrad, and 1944-1945 maps could be made too with some lacking guns/tanks, or with some modder made guns/tanks (TWI may even make and release some of this stuff down the line too).

Upvote 0
I have to imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to open up the maps to any of the battles in Operation Blue, German attempts to break the encirclement, and the Soviet offensives near the end of the battle. That should provide a decent amount of diversity.
This would be an excellent idea, which would dovetail nicely with the base game's content.

It's always a possibility that with new TWI vehicle/weapon releases we'll get additional associated maps too.

Upvote 0
we were lucky around RO time to have what i imagine was a disproportionately large number of ppl with development skills - or those willing to learn them - compared with the playerbase size.
However the flip side was In the end we had 3 mods/content packs with barely enough ppl to play them at a level that the efforts deserved.
It may have also given us many high quality authentic maps, but again, asides from the first wave (ie. the competition entries) many mappers and players complained that certain maps weren't seeing much server+play time.
(although this seems commonplace in many games, unfortunately)

As it stands we have already have 3 major addons/theatres to come before HoS's release - i would like to see these bursting at the seams with players before any other projects are announced.

Particularly as there will surely be a call for DH2, and if a suitable team remains it may happen i guess.
I don't think the hardcore german late war armour fanatic will be satisfied by HoS, RS or IN for the kind of tank experience they are looking for.

Even if they are unable to match HoS tank quality (due to sheer numbers of desired types not suggesting a lack of ability) i don't think the fanbase would mind, they are loyal and have shown this even back when DH was clearly rougher round the edges than the other 2 mods.

However will this provide enough impetous if the rest of the DH crowd others find RS + IC more to their liking?
DH2 would find competition tougher this time round as the other mods are a more mainstream too, and seem to have larger teams.
Although if it refuses to compromise on realism, and the other mods do, that would remain an attraction for some.

If another mod is to be announced, I would personally hope it to be a complete departure.
A CQB spec ops type affair, with gadgets and the like phaps with a strong coop element.
In fact i would be happy if it was a fantasy setting if the weapon handling and other aspects felt 'real'

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
we were lucky around RO time to have what i imagine was a disproportionately large number of ppl with development skills - or those willing to learn them - compared with the playerbase size.
However the flip side was In the end we had 3 mods/content packs with barely enough ppl to play them at a level that the efforts deserved.
It may have also given us many high quality authentic maps, but again, asides from the first wave (ie. the competition entries) many mappers and players complained that certain maps weren't seeing much server+play time.
(although this seems commonplace in many games, unfortunately)

As it stands we have already have 3 major addons/theatres to come before HoS's release - i would like to see these bursting at the seams with players before any other projects are announced.

Particularly as there will surely be a call for DH2, and if a suitable team remains it may happen i guess.
I don't think the hardcore german late war armour fanatic will be satisfied by HoS, RS or IN for the kind of tank experience they are looking for.

Even if they are unable to match HoS tank quality (due to sheer numbers of desired types not suggesting a lack of ability) i don't think the fanbase would mind, they are loyal and have shown this even back when DH was clearly rougher round the edges than the other 2 mods.

However will this provide enough impetous if the rest of the DH crowd others find RS + IC more to their liking?
DH2 would find competition tougher this time round as the other mods are a more mainstream too, and seem to have larger teams.
Although if it refuses to compromise on realism, and the other mods do, that would remain an attraction for some.

If another mod is to be announced, I would personally hope it to be a complete departure.
A CQB spec ops type affair, with gadgets and the like phaps with a strong coop element.
In fact i would be happy if it was a fantasy setting if the weapon handling and other aspects felt 'real'

If they couldn't do the whole war, then they could atleast at

Leningrad for early war weapons and armor and

Berlin for late war guns and vehicles

I think those two battle were the most amazing of OST.

Upvote 0
If they couldn't do the whole war, then they could atleast at

Leningrad for early war weapons and armor and

Berlin for late war guns and vehicles

I think those two battle were the most amazing of OST.

wanna check - by they you mean tripwire

yeah they could do.

I doubt a whole new release under a lesser known ww2 theatre would be the best idea (stalingrad being a big draw), but phaps as a dloadable paid content pack. Doubt you'd get anything substantial free unless comunity made, which is fair enough.
Depends if they start getting ww2 fatigue i guess, unless they are happy signing up a variety new indie games, having some input there but leaving what they know best as their major project each time.

I know we all love WW2, but am i the only one who wonders what they would come up with if they had a clean peice of paper and decided to leave that war, or even realism shooters altogether?

Upvote 0
wanna check - by they you mean tripwire

yeah they could do.

I doubt a whole new release under a lesser known ww2 theatre would be the best idea (stalingrad being a big draw), but phaps as a dloadable paid content pack. Doubt you'd get anything substantial free unless comunity made, which is fair enough.
Depends if they start getting ww2 fatigue i guess, unless they are happy signing up a variety new indie games, having some input there but leaving what they know best as their major project each time.

I know we all love WW2, but am i the only one who wonders what they would come up with if they had a clean peice of paper and decided to leave that war, or even realism shooters altogether?

Why? There aren't many realism shooters in the first place, why fix something that isn't broken? They've only made 2 RO games so far plus the original mod, its not like they've made 15 RO games. Theres still plenty of battles to be depicted from the Ostfront that other companies are too stupid to comprehend.

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra 3: Heroes of Leningrad

Red Orchestra 4: Heroes of Berlin

Leningrad for Ostfront was actually a 'what if' battle. Historically, the Germans never entered the city. Instead, they decided to shell and starve the population into submission. There were plans to invade the city, but after strong resistance the Germans decided to call off the assault and spread their forces elsewhere.

A historically accurate RO3: Leningrad would take place solely on the outskirts and wouldn't involve many large scale battles. In my mind, Berlin would be a much better scenario to try and recreate.

Upvote 0