• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will perk choices be locked? Please say no.

Silk_Sk

Jan 4, 2010
One question I haven't seen addressed yet is something I think is very important. Every few levels you will get a choice between two perks. Will this choice be locked once its made or will you be able to switch between them, enabling a nice layer of customization?

If they were locked, for me, this would actually be a game breaker. 50% of the game would be locked away forever and I would not get the chance to experience the other half. The ability to switch between the two perks at any point after they are unlocked is wholly necessary in my opinion. Will this be the case?

I'm 99.999999999% positive it's not a permanent lock. I'm betting you just pick your perks on the Character customizing screen and those are the ones you enter the game with. Since you can't "re-roll" characters in this game, there's no way they could make your choices permanent without the internet rage rising to the heavens.

Upvote 0
I personally think this is one of the worst design decisions hinted at so far.
It sounds absolutely dreadful, everyone is going to find out the optimal perks and never ever pick the other ones. Effectively halving perk abilities for no reason.

I'm expecting one to be team based, and the other to be personal.

For the commando for example, you could get +5% reload speed, or +2% reload speed for the team. Do you help everyone? Or buff yourself.

Things like that, where people will pick different choices.

Upvote 0
It sounds absolutely dreadful, everyone is going to find out the optimal perks and never ever pick the other ones. Effectively halving perk abilities for no reason.

Not that we even know anything about it but... We dont even know what the perks will be. Nor how they will change the game. Having all of them would probably destroy the balance.

Having skill choices never hurt an ARPG. If people want to meta game it so what? They can play how that want . Its not going to stop me using the skills I have fun with.

Upvote 0

That's a bit of a premature assessment considering we don't even know anything about the game yet. If they balance everything correctly, there should be no problem.

Plus, what's the other solution? Remove all of those perks? I don't see a problem with having a choice even if some of them seem to be a better option.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming the choice-perks will be A) in addition to the regular class benefits. If we're getting these choice-perks every 5 ranks, then we're probably leveling up other benefits on each of the four preceding ranks, and B) I expect these to be strategic choices people will switch to based on the Wave at hand, the team composition, and what weapons a person wants to use.

Upvote 0
Will there be some sort of skill tree so you can mix and match benefits from different perks? Or is each perk going to have it's own 2 skill choices for every 5 ranks?

I'm in favor of the latter to add a bit more choice instead of making it just a linear "you're better over-all" like you get in KF1. I wouldn't want the first choice to be the case even though that works fine in Payday 2, but this would be too a big a change for KF2, imo.

Upvote 0
Will there be some sort of skill tree so you can mix and match benefits from different perks? Or is each perk going to have it's own 2 skill choices for every 5 ranks?

I'm in favor of the latter to add a bit more choice instead of making it just a linear "you're better over-all" like you get in KF1. I wouldn't want the first choice to be the case even though that works fine in Payday 2, but this would be too a big a change for KF2, imo.

I don't think perks should mix. If you want to be a medic, choose a medic. And so on and so forth. If you could mix and match it would water down each perk class. Might as well remove classes and just make it skills only.

Upvote 0