• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics WHY?...in the Defense

oldsoldier173

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Ceresco, NE
Why on many, many, servers do the defenders feel they need to 'attack' the attacker, rather than find a good defensive position and let them come to him. You in defense in cover present a small target, the attacker up and running a large target. On most maps if you spend 50% of your time actually in a defense, in a proper defendable position, you will either hit the lockdown, or have the tickets on the other side so low you can then 'attack' to your hearts content.

The complaints from the defenders on why maps are unbalanced have a lot to do with the above, there is no map out there that a defender can not actually defend and win. An attacker by doctrine needs a 3 to 1 advantage in manpower, if you defend properly that means you can kill them at a rate of 3 to 1, IF you know what your are doing. THEY HAVE TO COME TO YOU, you do not need to go to them.

And why in the defense do you feel the need to throw smoke? You are defending you want clear fields of fire, why give the enemy additional concealment?

I agree you don't see defenders actually defending on defensive maps.
And why in the defense do you feel the need to throw smoke? You are defending you want clear fields of fire, why give the enemy additional concealment?
This however, i found some actual uses for this. I find sometimes you can cover
your spawn zone to get to the ob. your defending.

Upvote 0
Why on many, many, servers do the defenders feel they need to 'attack' the attacker, rather than find a good defensive position and let them come to him. You in defense in cover present a small target, the attacker up and running a large target. On most maps if you spend 50% of your time actually in a defense, in a proper defendable position, you will either hit the lockdown, or have the tickets on the other side so low you can then 'attack' to your hearts content.

The complaints from the defenders on why maps are unbalanced have a lot to do with the above, there is no map out there that a defender can not actually defend and win. An attacker by doctrine needs a 3 to 1 advantage in manpower, if you defend properly that means you can kill them at a rate of 3 to 1, IF you know what your are doing. THEY HAVE TO COME TO YOU, you do not need to go to them.

In some cases you just get the lone wolf type or those players from "other" games that are used to running around without keeping objectives in mind, and attacking is just the way they play. In some rarer cases, a small counter attack can disrupt an enemies attack, especially if they aren't expecting it. But in most cases, I think its because a few players either don't know how to play defense or they just don't care.

Smoke... sometimes if you throw smoke behind the attackers, they are silhouetted against it and they make easy targets, especially if they would normally blend into the background.

Upvote 0
I have a different experience.

I think sometimes the defense maps are difficult, enemy can be in the capzone and you have to find them - Mamayev Kurgan, for example. Allies have to clean out trenches and popping your head above will only get it shot off. You need to move through the trneches to find the enemy who is capping.

Another thing is the newer players. They don't realize that being in the cap is important, they stay back in a 'good' position, for them to shoot, and stay there, not moving forward enough to put pressure of bodies in cap, so it gets taken.

Upvote 0
Kurgen is a classic example. A defensive map, with good defenses.

Let's address the faults though. In the trenches players tend to do what I call 'jack in the box' the shoot, drop, and pop right back up in same spot, not good as yes you get one in the brain housing group. Most of the concrete bunkers have the side windows that should be the firing ports, the front only for observation. You get a good team, spread out across the front, good flank security and you can hold it easily, and if a 'cap' is threatened, by the gap, you can easily locate the problem. The commander sitting by his radio can track those blue dots pretty easy and direct to the holes as needed.

But all too many times on Kurgen all I see are troops in the defense running cross country to 'attack' the attacker. Where you get a good cross fire going, from left and right, the enemy trying to force 'the bunker' will never get up the hill, to the bunker front 'hole'. Protecting 'caps' is far easier with troops spread across the front and not concentrated. When you force the enemy to split his fire upon multiple locations, and do not present a concentrated target for him, life gets far easier as well.

On bridges you create the same lines, one across the enemy side of the bridge initially, spread across the entire front in the A and B ditches and along the berm of the river again easy to defend. Crossfires across the front of bridge, ATR's to far flanks to get flank shots on the tank when it shows and FPF's set up in the radio tank ditch on left, and the same ditch on right. Commander at radio in bakery, SL's as mobile respawns and arty spotting. If you lose A and B you fall back and defend the ridge along the burning tank ridge in front of D and E, and repeat, get good crossfires, good FPL's with LMG's, FPF's for arty, ATR's to flanks again, and repeat.

Work on not trying to always go nose on nose with badguys.

Just two examples.

Upvote 0