• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why does Territories not "switch sides" like Countdown?

I wouldn't want territory to switch sides like countdown. The main reason for me is that sometimes it takes a round to "warm up" or learn the enemies' tactics. If the first round goes poorly for allies, maybe the next round goes better because the team rallies around a good strategy they learned from the first round. Or this can even happen on an individual level. If I have a bad round, I like to get the chance to improve on it from the same side of the map. That's a biggie for me. I wouldn't like to switch sides, especially when the battlefield situation doesn't make sense for it (my side has no objectives, but suddenly we are defending those objectives??)

what I wouldn't mind is if the maps chose sides per match, randomly. Some matches Allies are starting behind pavlov's house, other matches behind the Voyentorg. But sides would stay the same for the whole match. That would be ok, a good idea, even.

Going further, I'd even like a "mini-campaign" match where between rounds possession of the objectives are preserved so that the battle evolves in rounds/stages over the course of the match. But that's another idea.

Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
Agreed with Mario.... not only do you have to re-work your tactics and suddenly switch from attacking to defending after a round, but the other problem I forgot to mention was that if you did switch from Russian to German after one round, a lot of people..... a lot of them.... will take a while to figure out that the Russian uniforms that were beside you for the last 30 minutes of the last round are no longer on your team but the enemy, thus a greater amount of TK's.... as well as easy kills for the enemy whom you originally thought was on your team.

It happened to me last week when I was forced to the other team to balance the numbers. I switched class and hopped on the battlefield, yet a few seconds later I forgot that I was now German and took down a team mate when I rounded the corner..... like a chump.

There will be a lot of new players who will be much more prone to this, especially since RO isn't as friendly as other FPS's out there when it comes to helping you identify who's on your team and who's the enemy.

Having people suddenly switch to the other team after one round of fighting is going to throw people for a loop and there's going to be an increase in TK's for most of the round.... then it switches back to the original team you were on in round 1 and you start all over again, having to keep in mind which team you're on this time & trying not to shoot others on your team because you're no longer sure.

How anybody is supposed to gather more information on who was the better team when both teams are equally confused as hell as to what's going on & what their role was..... I sure don't know.

Upvote 0
It isn't, and it doesn't. Ergo moot point.

Now let's talk about realistic ways of balancing it.

You're not getting it. The game simulates actual battles from history, in most cases, such as Grain Elevator and Pavlov's, which were very costly battles for the Germans... I suppose that should be reflected more since Germans tend to win on both those maps.

Switching sides would be fun, no doubt. It would also help balance, but part of map design in RO and RO2 is the one-way attack front. The maps are balanced, in theory, based on the strengths and weaknesses of the faction's weaponry (ppsh) and reinforcements. Pavlov's needs more Russian reinforcements, and better cover for them. After all, they kicked *** IRL there. It was never re-taken.

I'm pretty sure attacking Apartments/Danzig as Germans would suck, but then again, we've never tried. Would be nice just for fun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure attacking Apartments/Danzig as Germans would suck, but then again, we've never tried. Would be nice just for fun.

No, you're not getting it. If you read the thread you'd realize no one's suggesting that the Germans be arbitrarily placed on offense at Apartments- I'm suggesting that the people on the Russian team be placed on the German team, such that their situations are exactly mirrored from the previous round. No need for unnecessary historical inaccuracy. No idea why it's in Countdown.

Upvote 0