• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What would you rather face?

What would you rather face?

• Tiger

Votes: 67 78.8%
  • Panther

Votes: 18 21.2%

• Total voters

D3terioNation

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
West Sussex, UK
The reason for this poll, is due to the 'realism' maps we are beginning to see. Panthers are being put in instead of Tigers (due to historical accounts and 'to give the Russians a fighting chance') where as the map was much more balanced in its original state!

This isn't about how the Devs have decided to model the tanks in-game cos I think they are just fine!

Now there are 2 main reasons why I would choose the Panther over a Tiger. Those are faster traverse speed and faster cross-country speed! I can angle a tiger just fine so the better, sloped armour isn't a major factor for me!

But playing as a Russian tanker, being IS2 or T34, I personally dread meeting a Panther! It takes a much more skilled commander to dominate with a Tiger, then it does with a Panther and I have to suddenly turn into a better tactician if I have any chance in beating it! I normally end the skirmish by driving off to kill a lesser tank! :p

So how do you feel?

The Tiger is a pussy against T34/85s. Panthers cause huge problems for every single russian tank, so I chose Tiger.

You haven't played sence the last patch. I often see 6 tank shells bounce off of both of these tanks before they go down. It's all about angle and where the round hits. Alot of people at long range shoot for the turret because it is easy to hit and then complain that they don't do any damage.

The Key in ROs tank combat is to not let the enemy hit you just under the front armor of the Tiger. That tended to be a week spot in real life and it is in game. Good Tiger tankers in Game that I see alot of the time can kill 4-5 T34/85s before they go down.

Upvote 0
Depends on what you have. In an IS2, I would rather face a panther because you can penetrate it easier than a perfectly angled Tiger, but in a T34/85, a Panther is a nightmare.

I played Arad realism yesterday and we as Russians didn't have a chance. Most of the time, there were 2 Panthers at the same flank, frontally inpenetrateable and really hard to flank (the map isn't that wide). So you ended as a smoking piece of metal all the time :D

When a PzIVH showed up, however, it was the same for him vice versa :D

Upvote 0
You haven't played sence the last patch. I often see 6 tank shells bounce off of both of these tanks before they go down. It's all about angle and where the round hits. Alot of people at long range shoot for the turret because it is easy to hit and then complain that they don't do any damage.

The Key in ROs tank combat is to not let the enemy hit you just under the front armor of the Tiger. That tended to be a week spot in real life and it is in game. Good Tiger tankers in Game that I see alot of the time can kill 4-5 T34/85s before they go down.

6 bouce offs from a Tiger? On Orel maybe, not on Arad. Since the patch I've managed to take out plenty of Tigers with 2-3 hits to the front, angled, from a T34/85. Acutally, did the patch even change anything apart from German camo? Everytime I come up against a Panther it's a different story though.

Upvote 0
The Tiger is a pussy against T34/85s. Panthers cause huge problems for every single russian tank, so I chose Tiger.

Realistically the Pather G has less armor than the Tiger I so it would be easier for a T-34 to destroy but at the same time the Panther's 75mm high velocity gun has more penetrating power than the Tiger I's 88mm so facing any of these tanks from the front and without cover is suicidal flanking both is the key! Really the Soviet side should have gotten the ISU-152 to effectively take the Panther and Tiger I like they did in real life.

In the game the Tiger I can easily be subdued by a often a single (most of the time its 2) shot from a T-34/85(sometimes 76) from the the front the Panther as well even at ranges the T-34/85 should not penetrate either of these tanks from the front. The Tiger I and Pather's balistics are not realistically modeled due to the fact that every tank hit with these powerful shells require at least 2 to kill. When 1 shot would have killed most tanks in ww2 including the T-34/85.

So the question was: Which tank I would rather face realistically none. In this game the Tiger I because it seems unrealistically weaker. Its funny because they modeled its draw backs correctly such as the slow turret speed but when it comes to its attributes such as its gun and armor tripwire fails entirely. It seems every game always nerfs the Tiger I.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, the Tiger was naturally going to be a clumsy weapon to fight with. Slow turret, boxier armor; this really just makes it a target at close range. And if you're smart you can always close in without dying. That is, unless it isn't a one-on-one duel, and actually a battle with the Tiger supported by other tanks that fare better in close range.

Upvote 0
The reason for this poll, is due to the 'realism' maps we are beginning to see. Panthers are being put in instead of Tigers (due to historical accounts and 'to give the Russians a fighting chance') where as the map was much more balanced in its original state!

This isn't about how the Devs have decided to model the tanks in-game cos I think they are just fine!

Now there are 2 main reasons why I would choose the Panther over a Tiger. Those are faster traverse speed and faster cross-country speed! I can angle a tiger just fine so the better, sloped armour isn't a major factor for me!

But playing as a Russian tanker, being IS2 or T34, I personally dread meeting a Panther! It takes a much more skilled commander to dominate with a Tiger, then it does with a Panther and I have to suddenly turn into a better tactician if I have any chance in beating it! I normally end the skirmish by driving off to kill a lesser tank! :p

So how do you feel?

I like taking on Tigers when team tanking. A buddy and I always team tank when we are on together so we like to do the "Tiger ballet". Since most Tiger tankers still insist on going solo, we just drive circles around it and fire as we drive from about 20 yards off. Tiger can't turn it's turret fast enough to follow and if the guy jumps back into the driver seat he still can't reload. At best he gets one shot.
The story changes if the Tiger has a smart crew and 2 guys, who can turn the tank and reload/shoot at the same time though. In that case, it's shoot/move shoot/move and would much rather take on a Panzer.

Upvote 0
If the tiger is at very long range and well angled then I wont even try to attack unless I can get in close.
At short range the tiger is a pussy tho. The shorter the range the better your chances when facing it.

The panther can hold its own at short and long range and it doesn't need to be angled as much for shots to bounce off, but if you find a place where your shells are penetrating then its not much better than a type IV.

I would rather face a tiger. It is strong at long range, but I know my T-34 can close in fast and then the tiger is doomed.
With a panther there is no weak range so you just have to shoot it out and pray your shots find somewhere to penetrate.

Upvote 0
I have taken out tigers so many times on one of the Arad versions, with one shot kills. A Tiger doesnt really bother me on Arad. Panther however, or a pair of them working together, and they cause massive problems because of the map being so small.

Get a Tiger on the North Flank of Black Day however, and it can own the whole side of the map. Especailly if it is fully manned.

I think the panther in general is more of a problem. Although it does seem to have a very sweet soft spot on the front, that can take them out pretty quick.

Upvote 0