• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We Are Up To - Research, Research, Research!

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Special Note: As a reminder, HRG weapons are free for all players. Our goal with these weapons is to provide some new gameplay opportunities to different perks using some pre-existing assets.

Hello everyone,

Last week we brought word that the Labcoats were working up some strange new variants from the "Horzine Research Group". They have shipped a few samples our way of what's coming down the line for mercs in the field and well... it is best just to show you.

First up, the HRG Healthrower for all the Medics out there.
    hrghealthrower.jpg

Somebody at Horzine asked the question "What if we modified the standard Freezethrower, but you know, made it for medics?". The Healthrower is the answer the HRG group came up with. This beaut is fed off a gas version of the standard Horzine healing fluid pushed out a tube at high velocity towards whatever you want to heal (or poison)! Also included: standard medic darts for those pesky friends who don't stay close enough to be healed!

And for SWAT? The HRG Nailgun!
    hrgnailgun.jpg

This contraption really nails the innovation that somebody was searching for. Just not sure who, or if they survived! Featuring dual fire modes, fast-firing bouncy nails, and triple the fast-firing bouncy nails, letting loose three downrange with every shot, something is going to have a bad day.

Last? Well somebody decided the Support's out there needed something "personal defense". Meet the HRG Buckshot Revolver.
    hrgbuckshot.jpg

Quickly give yourself some personal space by unleashing these akimbo, or at least stumble the problem away as you "tactically advance backward". Don't worry, we aren't asking any questions as long as you get the job done.

Speaking of getting the job done, we are inserting you back into the Texas Embassy for your latest objective. Do try to get in and out before the nukes go off.
    nuked1.png

Last edited:
    Well i always wanted shotgun revolvers for Gunslinger. (and possibly support). but the weird gradient blue stripe on the side of the barrel is ugly and should be changed.
    the nailgun for SWAT is... interesting to say the least. ill see how it goes.
    but the new objective map is what im also excited excited for. new maps are always welcome!

Upvote 0
    I love the idea of HRG weapons. If they require less Tripwire resources but still offer interesting game-play opportunities, why not?

I think it would be even more fun or rewarding if the seasonal objectives each rewarded a weapon, maybe like in KF1, you can still earn things in-game after the season ends via the achievements on steam. I like having those mini goals to work for.

If the objective is before the nukes fall, it would be cool of the guns can be found as collectables on the map, like the old ZED guns in KF1.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Slightly disappointed, mainly for two reasons :

1) The HRG idea is pretty much what I thought the upgrade system would be when finalized... Some way to customized your guns so much that you might feel like handling a totally new weapon. Guess we'll be stuck with the raw damage upgrade eh?

2)The skins are certainly meant to be clean,sober and futuristic... But boy, are they boring. I get the idea of reusing existing assets to create new weapons quicker. But it really feels uninspired, bland...cliché even. I hope we can use our weapon skins on them too, at the very least.

THIS BEING SAID. I genuinely hope these will be fun to play with. They seem modified enough to bring something truly new to the battlefield !

I've not been impressed with the objective mode so far, but Nuked is one of my favourite maps. Let's hope you get crazy with it.

Upvote 0
    Wait, so the extra guns are for the perks you're already making dlc guns for? I thought you'd add something for the other perks to enjoy, too. This way, the berserker, medic, swat and gunslinger all get a massive boost, but they're already the most popular perks from what I've seen in matchmaking. Show some love for the other perks please!

Upvote 0
    s5yn3t;n2334029 said:
    1: does it shoot flames? obviously not.
    2:Old one yes. "New" one? i mean it's ment for swat, so i doubt it will work for zerker or even support for that matter.

1. TBF, the original Freezethrower is one of the less useful weapons in the game. I think i remember pointing out how making it a Firebug perk weapon would increase its usefulness. A similar approach would allow the Firebug to carry both the Helios Rifle and a Medic/Firebug weapon.
    2. I can't see how Support would benefit from the nail SMG, though I can definitely see a full auto nailgun being a godsend when combined with Vampire, especially considering KF2's focus on ranged combat.

Upvote 0
    flashn00b;n2334069 said:
    1. TBF, the original Freezethrower is one of the less useful weapons in the game. I think i remember pointing out how making it a Firebug perk weapon would increase its usefulness. A similar approach would allow the Firebug to carry both the Helios Rifle and a Medic/Firebug weapon.
    2. I can't see how Support would benefit from the nail SMG, though I can definitely see a full auto nailgun being a godsend when combined with Vampire, especially considering KF2's focus on ranged combat.

1: but that combo would make firebug one man army OP (as if he isn't already with spitfires and helios/husk hue)

Then again freezethrower is more of a tool than a useful weapon when you play with yourself in mind.
    If you have it cordinated, its a godsend when you need to deal with ton of big zeds in a small area.... Otherwise yeh it sucks.

2: Maybe... At least it would give purpose to carry a secondary weapon, than just stick with one meele weapon entire game and mash that m2 button like panicking pyro from tf2.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    flashn00b;n2334069 said:

Well, as I usually do, let us agree to disagree. I actually find the Freezethrower stupidly powerful once you upgrade it once or twice. It used to be even better before the hard nerf to its alt fire. Sure, it isn't that good at melting zeds...But that's not what it is meant to do either. Considering the perk, its role, and its tier... It's more than enough.

Also meh... I'm all for experimentation, but there's absolutely no reason to give an SMG to the support.

Upvote 0