• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design WF-Juno

simon323

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2015
Montr
6 June 1944

Juno was one of the five beachs where the allied landed during d day.
Juno was:
-The only one where canadians landed
-The 2nd with more casualties

for more informations: http://www.stormingjuno.com/

My map is not advanced a lot, maybe 1/10 or less.

Pictures
juno25.jpg juno24.jpg juno20.jpgjuno26.jpg

Pictures informations
Spoiler!

Informations (to read before asking questions)
Spoiler!

The main reason why I maded that post is that I'll need help. I'll need councils and testers because I want to make sure my beach is enough deadly but not too much.

Ask questions, give me councils, I'll try to give the more pictures I can in the next weeks!

Simon

Last edited:
Like yous said, Juno beach was one of the most heavily defended stretches of beach that allied forces landed at on D-Day, but was mostly defended by the 716th static division, mostly made up of older Germans or people conscripted from German occupied countries like Ukraine and Czechoslovakia, with the 21st Panzer division stationed as a reserve force near Caen.

Most of the beaches defenses were built up around coastal villages, with a seawall almost double the height of the one at Omaha. Machine guns and artillery pieces were placed in houses as well as pillboxes built directly into the sea wall.

Some things I would note:
-The beach is a little too long, definitely needs to be shortened
-There were no hills at Juno, though the terrain did steadily increase after the seawall at a very low angle

Here's some photos to get a good reference
JunoBeach2_zpszibesnyr.jpg

JunoBeach3_zpsjjxclw0a.jpg

JunoBeach_zpsa3w7ddhw.jpg

*Most of these photos were taken after the beach obstacles had been removed

I also wouldn't use storming juno as a source, it's heart was in the right place but the acting was bad and the general layout of the beach defenses was all wrong, the paratrooper bit was pretty good though.

One problem you might also have is that Canadians landed in LCAs, not Higgins boats, so unless someone is making one the only other alternative would be to ask the FH2 team really nicely if you could use their model.

Good luck on this project, I'd love a good Juno Beach map. If you have anymore questions I still have my great uncles war diary, he was at Juno and wrote about it for at least 3 days after the initial landing, so feel free to ask

Upvote 0
Wow! 6 hours, two guys and more information than I wondered!!!
So the beach looks large, but it's only 85-100 meters wich is the actual size of Juno Beach (at least with satellite on Nan sector) But making in a bit smaller don't takes too much time :)
For the hill, It's right to remind me, I forgotten to remove it: i thought they were bit of relief near juno but they werent, looked almost everywhere in google earth lol!

Upvote 0
Hey lemonater, would it be at all possible to alter the HoW british uniform into a Canadian one? The Canadians shared an identical uniform with the British, the only real difference being patches, they could keep the American voices (seriously go out to Alberta, everyone there has a southern accent) and it's one more faction put in with barely any needed extra work

Upvote 0
Hey lemonater, would it be at all possible to alter the HoW british uniform into a Canadian one? The Canadians shared an identical uniform with the British, the only real difference being patches, they could keep the American voices (seriously go out to Alberta, everyone there has a southern accent) and it's one more faction put in with barely any needed extra work

It was a green brown colour but yeah that's just a simple recolour. They had the same battledress variant.

Upvote 0
For the helmets you could just keep the brodie helmet until someone cooks up a turtle shell helmet, the Mk.II was still used by Canada by the time D-Day rolled around, and while many Canuck soldiers are seen wearing the mk.III in media, the mk.II was still in heavy use. I don't think that minor things like this should be that much of a priority, didn't the IOM team have trouble adding new uniforms due to memory space?

Upvote 0
Actually the Canadians had pretty much replaced the MkII with the MkIII lol. The British were 50 50. Other Commonwealth forces almost exclusively had MkII helmets.\

Shoulder patch doesn't work on the canadian uniform. Thing is it will always be the shape of the commando insignia as its a mesh attached to the uniform mesh itself. http://oi58.tinypic.com/r2l1ma.jpg

As you can see there it doesn't fit. We may use the same solution that we are thinking about using for the american insignia.

I changed the belt colour from white as well. To the British one

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Around 600 recorded lines, a damn good microphone and some acting ability.

Then everyone will want french in game, then everyone who is French and from Quebec will say their accents sound nothing like each other.

As a Quebecois I can confirm this

Actually the Canadians had pretty much replaced the MkII with the MkIII lol. The British were 50 50. Other Commonwealth forces almost exclusively had MkII helmets.
Not entirely true, while the 3rd (who was the Canadian presence at D-Day) did completely swap out the Mk. II for the Mk. III, the 4th armored and 2nd division still had a healthy mix of Mk. II's and III's

Last edited:
Upvote 0