• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map WF-Carentan

PsychoPigeon

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006
In Unreal
This is a blocked out relatively rough version of Carentan, I'm planning on getting new assets made, but for the time being your feedback on gameplay would be useful.

It's a 3 objective all open map, attack and defend it how you want.

Download: Carentan

You need to install Western Front mod to play the map:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=101716[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=101716[/URL]

Spoiler!

Very good looking map. Only issue preventing it from workshop really is the fact all the Axis bots seem to get lost.

You might even be able to stick in a 4th objective after the 1st 3 are captured. As you got that whole nice trenchy defensive area the germans spawn just behind. So after the Americans take the down they have to establish a perimeter and properly kick the Defenders out. But I'm just saying stuff lol.

An issue I had was that some of the interiors are a bit dark. Like inside the cafe at A. Gets a bit confusing bumping into walls to find your way out lol.

Also good job at making it look like the band of brothers Carentan lol. Even with a lot of stock assets. I recognized quite a few areas. Will be giving the 101st their helmets with insignia soon too. And ones with Camouflage rags and stuff. So they are more airborney if that's a thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Had a quick poke about the map yesterday quite late and it looks pretty damn cool. Smaller than the DH one by a small amount, but feels quite dense in comparison.
Not going to complain too much about some of the items as it is mostly placeholder, plus some of the buildings are blatantly not done with both lighting and the fact they are totally bare. I guess getting the layout sorted plus making sure you have the right assets to work with will eventually help out. Do like the mounted MG looking directly down the street at the start of the map. The warehouse also is a considerable mark up from the big empty shed in DH. Can see lots of really intense firefights happening in there.

I'm guessing the cap points are placeholder for the moment also? As Lemon mentioned the swamp area looks great for a final cap area or two to end the map. Part of me was thinking two caps, followed by an additional two caps and then ending with a final battle for the swamp bridge, depending on how flanking positions work out. Just trying to mentally compare it to Apartments atm, and in that I'm not trying to be offensive.

Mentioned this to Nymets also, but is it possible you could request one of the modellers to make a toilet? I know that sounds silly, but one thing I've noticed with HotW thus far is Northern France seems to have a scary lack of areas to poop in. If not an actual toilet then maybe an outhouse or two?

Upvote 0
I think light mortar exists becuase we forgot to add in an Elite rifleman class for the germans lol. Light mortar class currently functions exactly like it in terms of german weaponry.

One of my best moments in HOtW was sitting on a toilet on omaha. So there are toilets around.

But it says there's a mortar as well?
Jeezus please don't tell me you extended the germans from the Japs...

Upvote 0
Tested the map with a full server.

Axis won. Allies took C first then A. Then it was a battle for B. The germans attacked C a few times but could never get it back. The allies almost capped B right at the end but the germans counter attacked and kicked them out.

The americans might have one but some of them were holding a funeral service for the chickens. Literally 5 of them standing around where all the dead chickens were lol.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the players really enjoyed killing those chickens. People were even clamoring about getting cows on there!

Apparently before your modem shat out, Lemon, you managed to get off another changemap command to Carentan again and we got another run through.

Americans had a very difficult time taking B, even when SL's were spawning close to it to save the team an otherwise very long hike to the front. It was a pretty blood battle. They couldn't manage to get it and he Germans managed to get C back.

Only criticisms I heard was that the cafe was extremely dark (although I think it provides an extra challenge and it's consistent with some of the dark rooms you have going on in Omaha), difficulty getting into C due to no left flank and wall blocking entry, and the long hike from spawn (but perhaps that's intentional to force teamwork).

Fantastic map, though. Great work!

Upvote 0
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619191523
This Wall here is only bullet proof one way. If you are inside you can shoot through it and the layer of sandbags as well. You can see by the bullet holes and the dead bodies. You can't shoot through the other way though.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619191775
This fence here needs to be removed. As it prevents a scene from band of brothers from happening. Directly behind me are the chickens. the Lower left window of the cafe de normandie also house an MG42. That particular MG42 was the one who shot all the chickens trying to fire at Shifty hiding behind a wall. You can't do that with that dence in the way.

Also the rocks sway. Like the grass. That's a thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0