• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon recoil

bass361

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2015
In short, I think the majority of weapons don't have enough recoil. without the perk talents increasing accuracy the weapons are already pretty easy to control and then when combines with perk passive accuracy bonus makes the game feel too arcadey and point and click.

I don't feel satisfied without realistic gun mechanics like shown in Killing Floor 1. Hope this is mostly accepted and get's changed I would be very happy =)

If I'm not mistaken, KF2 set overall gun recoil to be more prominent than the CoD-esque child's play for increased authenticity - but still (quite) manageable for gameplayability purposes, one of which being the game requires players to get shots on targets as fast as they can given Zeds sprint - and as consistent as they can given large Zeds are designed to be bullet spongy.

Upvote 0
KF2 went the arcade/COD way gameplay-wise, and "silly" way graphics wise, instead of maintaining or even deepening the "realistic"/grime feel of KF1.

I hate it, but it is what it is.

Increasing recoil would mean needing to rethink the entire game, because you kind of need point-and-click accuracy to shoot sprinting, bobbing heads that are often covered by metal, so you really need to shoot chins - or spike decapitate before they can cover their head (gorefiend) and side of heads (bloats), as well as cartwheeling stalkers and slashers.

Reactions: Aze and imnrk
Upvote 0
I agree with all of this. In KF1 I had a real sense of mastering each weapon due to their differing recoil patterns but when a new weapon comes out now it always feels very lackluster and shallow.

Sadly this change is probably part of the reason KF2 has been more successful than KF1. Thems the breaks, I guess.

Upvote 0
Darkintentz;n2333502 said:
Have you used the doom sticks alt fire? Or used the m99?

TLDR;
Recoil doesn't really matter when you're not able to immediately refire.

Longer explanation;
The whole idea of recoil is that it makes it more difficult to line up consecutive shots, typically with automatic or semi-automatic weaponry. The appeal is that each weapon would have a different pattern of recoil and you develop skill learning how to counteract the weapon's recoil by moving your aim in the opposite direction. Mastering a weapon like this is usually both intrinsically and extrinsically rewarding as it feels better to land more shots as well as killing enemies faster. The kicker is that you're usually garbage at doing it at first and enjoy getting better at it the more you practice it- once you try a new weapon the process starts over again. Without sufficient recoil weapons can feel bland and overly simple to use. Do the math to determine how many shots you need, point, click, and dead Scrake.

Of course there's other methods to make landing shots more difficult- maybe your target jumps or rolls to the side. Problem here is there's usually a lot more weapons in Killing Floor than there are zed species, so basing your aiming skill on the zeds instead of the weapons means there's less to master and the game is shallower as a result. Shooting a Fleshpound in his raging animation with a Scar is the same as with an AK when in KF1 they were entirely different beasts. To keep people playing like this for thousands of hours you'd have to constantly be adding new types of zeds, but we tend to get weapons instead.

Upvote 0