• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation [weapon] First try: The Minigun

blaat

Nov 9, 2011
So, this is my first try to make a weapon.
Since I haven't touched 3dsmax or UE2 ever, it was a bit difficult at the beginning.
It's very basic, only 1st person view and simple sound and animations.

Note that these videos don't give all detail at 30FPS, like the barrel spinning when firing.

http://youtu.be/lLEkeEc1i2w
http://youtu.be/bGQ6m3tmo9U

Still figuring out the code.
Is there a site that gives more info?
F.e.
TweenTime
Type:
float

This, I can find everywhere.

But i'm looking for a detailed description of what it does?

Last edited:
I really want to release it some day, but it needs a lot of work.
It looks great in-game, but I want a better barrel spin up and spin down.

What it actually does now, is repeating 1 fire animation.
It works ofcourse (can't see it very good in the youtube vid because of frame limit), but it should be split up in a spin up / fire loop / spin down configuration.

It doesn't have to be overpowered, just carry a backpack full of ammo :)
Or to be more realistic, it is technically possible to carry such a weapon that uses a small calliber ammo.
In KF, it should be something like a default glock but with a very high fire rate and probably a bit less dmg.

Spoiler!

When I got something ready or need someone to finish it, i'll let you all know.
Just got a new job and accidentally bought diablo 3 which consumes all my spare time now :p

Upvote 0
So here's a preview for my other project, the pyrotechnician.

[url]http://youtu.be/4urDvQL1heg[/URL]

The animations are not complete and are missing the correct timing, but that's why I call it a preview :)

This weapon will have 2 types of ammo (or 2 weapons with each their own ammo).
Rockets and shells.

The shells will probably be heavy titanium salutes (big white flash and explosion), but if this doesn't look great, they will also get a colored explosion like the rocket.

Upvote 0
So here's a preview for my other project, the pyrotechnician.

<a href="http://youtu.be/4urDvQL1heg" target="_blank"><a href="http://youtu.be/4urDvQL1heg" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/4urDvQL1heg

The animations are not complete and are missing the correct timing, but that's why I call it a preview :)

This weapon will have 2 types of ammo (or 2 weapons with each their own ammo).
Rockets and shells.

The shells will probably be heavy titanium salutes (big white flash and explosion), but if this doesn't look great, they will also get a colored explosion like the rocket.
This is what I have been waiting for recently. Something unique and worth while to use as this is something you will just randomly pick up in a specimen infestation.

You have some decent talent and will fit right in with others :)

P.S. To prove my point, Braindead is watching your post :D

Upvote 0
Weapon looks awesome! Keep going.

There is no way this will come official as this is overpowered.
Never say never. Make big zeds resistant to Minigun's bullets and it can be ultimate trash killer while keeping it balanced:
I'd suggest following specs:
  • FP - 90% resistance
  • Scrake, Husks and Bloats: 50% resistance
  • Unable to make headshots: even if Minigun's bullet hits the head, it should count as bodyshot.
  • Weight: 12-13 blocks
  • Long reload after each 500 bullets (+reload and clip bonuses for Commando)
  • RoF: 1500 RMP (25 bullets per second)
  • Max ammo: 4 clips.
  • Damage: 20 points unperked
  • No penetration
Kill stats for the specs above:
Level 6 Commando would have 625 large clips (+25% bonus), dealing 30 damage points per bullet.
All calculations based on 6-player HoE game.
Crawler. Single kill: 5 bullets, Killing spree: 5 Crawlers per second, 125 Crawlers per clip.
Stalker. Single kill: 6 bullets, Killing spree: 4 Stalkers per second, 54 Stalkers per clip.
Clot. Single kill: 8 bullets, Killing spree: 3 Clots per second, 78 Stalkers per clip.
Gorefast. Single kill: 26 bullets, require to constantly shoot ~1s to kill it, 24 Gorefasts per clip (same as SCAR, but SCAR reloads faster and have more magazines).
Siren: ~ the same as Gorefast.
Bloat: 138 bullets (50% resistance), 5.5s to kill = waste of ammo
Husk: 105 bullets (50% resistance), 4s to kill
Scrake: 408 bullets (50% resistance), 16s - he will rage and kill you faster
FP: 1968 bullets (90% resistance), >1m of constant shooting by 3 Commandos - almost impossible.
Results: Minigun could be an ultimate small zed killer (Crawler, Stalker, Clots), good against Gorefasts and Sirens, but horrible against bigger zeds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
forgot to paste all this txt :)

Thx for the replies!

Looking at the responses of the minigun, people really seem to like it.
I was a bit skeptical, because it mostly is a Hollywood weapon and this doesn't really fit the KF theme.
I also just used the minigun to learn everything and make something (mostly) from scratch.
But we'll see :)

The pyrotechnic stuff is my project I really want to release.
It fits the KF theme.
It's fun, works with current perks (f.e. fire and explosive dmg) and has a lot of possibilities.

To name a few on my list:
- Fireworks to distract specimens away from you (no damage).
Think this function isn't available in KF right now.

- Mine/pipebomb effect
Probably something that effects a certain area and has a X-seconds duration.
Translated into weapons -> vulcano/fountain, XXshot cakes or anything appropriate.
I also am a fan of duct tape, so a combined package of random fireworks that instantly explodes from proximity contact like the pipebomb or trip wire(haha?!) is also a good candidate.

- Rockets, already in production.
See youtube, just aim, fire and enjoy.
Ideas:
sticky on impact (harpoon style) and explode when flute? sounds stops (projectile life time).
If package space allows, different explosion animations.
Low-Medium dmg

- Shells, already in production.
ideas:
Dmg when hit and/or projectile explodes shortly after that, dealing explosive and fire dmg (both different ranges).
High damage

- Roman candle
Probably fire dmg only, using colored balls or similar effects.
Once it fires, it keeps firing until empty.
Very low dmg?

As you can see, the ideas are endless.
Make a complete new perk, fireworks shop/factory map to complete the theme etc etc.

The biggest challenge is coding all the stuff.
Animations are do-able by me.
Another thing is how to fit the damage in the game to be realistic (or not).
Most (prof.) fireworks give serious injuries and some just blow everything apart, but you can't compare it to some dynamite, because that last one is much more destructive.
It's just how far you are willing to go with realism.

Upvote 0
@Flux, thx!
Was thinking the same about how to implement this in the game.
F.e. spawn random at ammo spawns, buy cheap at trader (but average less dmg than demo/firebug weapons, so it's a good starter weapon etc etc.)

@Poosh
Yeah something this direction would be OK.
You shouldn't be able to just kill a scrake with a few bullets.

Upvote 0