• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:


    We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.



    For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Warning shot to World of Warcraft players (a.k.a. How tough is YOUR drywall?)

Sclass12

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 17, 2006
766
7
0
New Jersey
[5.SS]Strother said:
The government should issue everyone some of those special police weapons that shoot nets and super sticky foam everywhere. But I could definantly see the kids getting their hands on those.
That would be so cool.

Unless those things inflict pain, I would imagine an increase in break-ins resulting from those. I'd get one and shoot myself with it.
 

[CoFR]BooBoo

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 12, 2006
706
0
0
Tarzana, CA, USA
www.cofr.net
I used to keep a loaded .45 auto on the shelf above my headboard. My brother kept his Beretta 9mm in his bedside table. Used to be we didn't have to keep loaded weapons handy, but the neighborhood we lived in went through a period where some local druggies were breaking into people's homes to steal anything not nailed down. Fortunately my wife and I live in a relatively safe area, even though we live in the Los Angeles metro area. I don't need my .45 to hand, which is very fortunate considering I had to sell it a while back (whoever ended up with my SIG better take good care of it).

I've said it before, and I'll say it until the day I die - my assumption is that anyone breaking into my home when I'm there is armed and intending to harm me and/or my family. My response to that threat will be immediate, violent, and as lethal as I can possibly make it. If that be with a baseball bat, a knife, or a firearm - whatever it takes to end the threat. Permanently.
 

Lizardhands

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2005
949
7
0
6PNTANH
[5.SS]Strother said:
Actually some robbers might feel threatened by having a weapon pointed at them and some robbers when faced with the fight or flight response, fight. So you might actually be encouraging a bad situation to be worse with a more intimidating weapon. I think I'd choose to go with a knife/baseball bat/ or my bow. If someone sees my bow they will be like "LOLz what a noob like that scares me" and then I'll put a broadhead through their leg if it comes to that, or they will see it and be like "O NOES IT IS RAMBO" and they jump out the window.
I didn't know you were an archer, Strother! What sort of bow do you use?


As for the "guns don't kill people" thing... The problem in America appears to be that people feel they need guns because other people (including criminals) have guns. It's a catch-22. :(

If you have a gun you are more likely to kill someone, but people want to feel safe. If only guns had never been invented... :( It's a social rather than legislational problem.


P.S. I wouldn't recommend taking a knife for self-defence unless you know how to use it properly. You're far more likely to get hurt.
 

Explosioneer

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 25, 2006
27
0
0
From what I understand, you're more likely to be injured or killed with the weapons in your own home than an intruder is. If you arent master of the situation or you cannot bring overwhelming and deadly force to your defense, you shouldnt even TRY to resist with a weapon. Its just going to make you deader faster.

And you are right, it is a social not a legislative problem for the US in regards to guns. Firearms are an integral part of our culture - we have a long history of private gun owners 'making' something with their trigger fingers (often at the expense of others, but thats another story). Look at our independence movement and the minutemen, think of the image of the 'Hunter providing for the family', think of the 'taming' of the wild west - all of these parts of our history involve the 'rugged American' and his guns. Now, while that sort of thing is largely behind us, we still have that legacy and we're not letting go of it for better or worse.

As a result, there are lots of guns now, there always will be lots of guns, and as long as there are guns, we're going to have stupid people who get them. Its something we're going to have to work through and figure out on our own, and just saying "Ban them all" is a response that just wont work here. If you're not from the US, you might be shaking your head and saying 'why dont they GET it?' Well, I'm sure some day we'll "get" it, but until then, I'm going to enjoy my guns to the fullest, and NOT shoot holes through my walls at the neighbor. ;)
 

Tak

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 10, 2006
1,855
96
0
East Coast, USA
Explosioneer said:
From what I understand, you're more likely to be injured or killed with the weapons in your own home than an intruder is. If you arent master of the situation or you cannot bring overwhelming and deadly force to your defense, you shouldnt even TRY to resist with a weapon. Its just going to make you deader faster.

And you are right, it is a social not a legislative problem for the US in regards to guns. Firearms are an integral part of our culture - we have a long history of private gun owners 'making' something with their trigger fingers (often at the expense of others, but thats another story). Look at our independence movement and the minutemen, think of the image of the 'Hunter providing for the family', think of the 'taming' of the wild west - all of these parts of our history involve the 'rugged American' and his guns. Now, while that sort of thing is largely behind us, we still have that legacy and we're not letting go of it for better or worse.

As a result, there are lots of guns now, there always will be lots of guns, and as long as there are guns, we're going to have stupid people who get them. Its something we're going to have to work through and figure out on our own, and just saying "Ban them all" is a response that just wont work here. If you're not from the US, you might be shaking your head and saying 'why dont they GET it?' Well, I'm sure some day we'll "get" it, but until then, I'm going to enjoy my guns to the fullest, and NOT shoot holes through my walls at the neighbor. ;)

Of course, you have that whole near total annihilation of an indigenous peoples and such thrown in the middle, which guns played a MASSIVE part in.


Sorry, but the little voice in my head can't let the good be listed without the bad :)
 

Moz

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
1,773
1
0
Tak said:
Of course, you have that whole near total annihilation of an indigenous peoples and such thrown in the middle, which guns played a MASSIVE part in.


Sorry, but the little voice in my head can't let the good be listed without the bad :)
More like smallpox
 

Tak

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 10, 2006
1,855
96
0
East Coast, USA
Moz said:
More like smallpox

That's going further back in history than I was referring to. As this fellow was talking specifically about examples in United States history, I was speaking more of the more or less government-sanction genocides of the 1890s on the remaining Native Americans.
 

Moz

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
1,773
1
0
Tak said:
That's going further back in history than I was referring to. As this fellow was talking specifically about examples in United States history, I was speaking more of the more or less government-sanction genocides of the 1890s on the remaining Native Americans.
Oh yes, ofcourse.

When you said that I instantly thought of the Arquebus. (studying the conquest of the americas currently)
 

DingBat

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
751
0
0
kempe said:
Bolt, ive seen a 5.56mm weapon totaly shred a concrete block in about half a second :p
Second that. I've seen video of a guy with a simple ak-47 literally shoot to pieces a wall made of brick backed with cinder block. Like, there's nothing left by rubble.

The original story did say the guy owned a .50cal rifle as well. I read an article by a army expert on the .50 cal mg. Essentially, his message was this: in an average city block you'd have a hard time finding a hiding place he couldn't get to with his mg.
 

DingBat

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 21, 2005
751
0
0
Tak said:
Of course, you have that whole near total annihilation of an indigenous peoples and such thrown in the middle, which guns played a MASSIVE part in.
Much as I myself don't see the need to store an arsenal in your home, I have to object to this.

The indigenous peoples of north america weren't destroyed by the gun. They were destroyed by the fact that they had what amounted to essentially a stone age civilization when it came into contact with a pre-industrial civilization. I have deep sympathies, but the simple fact is that kind of difference isn't good, even when both sides have the best of intentions.
 

kempe

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 20, 2006
225
0
0
IIRC the .50 cal m82 rifle will penetrate something like a meter of cement or bricks or something.

ive got a vid on my computer of a .50 being fired at a katana (samurai sword) and it cuts about 9 in half befor it breaks, how fkn amazing is that. u see the bullets fly off in fragments after it hits the blade
 

Tak

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 10, 2006
1,855
96
0
East Coast, USA
DingBat said:
Much as I myself don't see the need to store an arsenal in your home, I have to object to this.

The indigenous peoples of north america weren't destroyed by the gun. They were destroyed by the fact that they had what amounted to essentially a stone age civilization when it came into contact with a pre-industrial civilization. I have deep sympathies, but the simple fact is that kind of difference isn't good, even when both sides have the best of intentions.
I respectfully disagree.

American History as it is taught has painted a rosey picture of the relationships between the settling whites and the native Americans. As they say, though, history is written by the victor, so it can only be expected.

Not all cultures that lack steel and machinery are primative. The natives did not want to fight, by and large. When their hand was forced, they were slaughtered wholesale. Men, women, children alike. Any time that an indian tribe did not give in to the wishes of whatever person was claiming lordship over them, troops were called in as a first resort. The soldiers who did the killing were regarded as heroes. The 7th Cavalry, famous for the Massacre of Wounded Knee (it was not a battle), recieved congressional medals of honor for their part in the slaughter.

Now, I'm not saying the situation was entirely as simple as that. There were crooked people playing dirty political games that would make any politician today blush bright red. There were warrior tribes, and they did attempt to fight off the people invading their land, be they whites or other tribes. There were factors such as disease, shortages in food supplies due to over-hunting (by whites, with guns), so on and so forth. But the one factor that always kept the scales always in favor of the invader was the gun. Be it in the case of hunting, or battle, or just to remove an 'ignorant, stubborn indian'.


The actions of the then governments were horrific enough. They were just multipled ten fold by the use of guns. The government broke their spirit, and the guns took care of the bodies, along with anyone that couldn't be broken.

The situation is no different than a Rwanda or a Holocaust. It was pure genocide no matter which way you slice it.
 

{YBBS}Sage

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 15, 2006
1,338
0
0
Lizardhands said:
As for the "guns don't kill people" thing... The problem in America appears to be that people feel they need guns because other people (including criminals) have guns. It's a catch-22. :(
Not why I would rely on a gun for self defense. It doesn't matter if they have a gun themselves or not.

Reason 1: my wife. She's not physically as strong as I am, and I'm not exactly a body builder. Even against an unarmed intruder, she'd be basically helpless (if the intruder was even nearly as strong as I am.)

Reason 2: if the intruder has a knife. I'd rather not have him close to me before I can fight back. Even a baseball bat puts him close enough for a strike.

Reason 3: No matter how badass a fighter you are, there's someone who can kick your ass. I'd rather not find out that I'm not as good in a fight as I think I am, especially under those circumstances. Also, no matter how many years of karate, aikido, kung fu, krav maga, systeme or whatever martial arts you care to think of - hell you can master all of them - a gun is still your best method of defense (if available).

Also: The reason Americans have this "need" for guns is that our government has guns, not neccessarily the common street criminal. The Second Amendment (right to bear arms, feel free to look it up) was put in place to keep the government in check.

BooBoo: That's exactly how I feel about it, too. If someone's breaking into my house when I'm there, I have to assume the worst. In that kind of situation I've always believed your defense should be swift, sudden, and deadly.
 

Bolt

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 2, 2006
1,556
14
0
32
In the steppes of Crimea
Guys, are those break-ins really happen THAT often? I mean, while i was reading your posts, i've got the impression that every day your neighbourhood has 1-3 breaks-ins..
I think the best way to protect your home is to not have 0.5 cm thick glass doors, that can be smashed even by a kid. This goes to walls as well: when you hit a wall with your leg and make a hole in there - something is wrong.
 

[5.SS]Strother

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 19, 2006
2,506
0
0
West "By God" Virginia
P.S. I wouldn't recommend taking a knife for self-defence unless you know how to use it properly. You're far more likely to get hurt.
I wish I could learn how to properly use a katana...you could really scare the crap out of an intruder just by holding that baby. If he has a gun I wouldn't suggest confronting him directly but maybe if I was good enough I'd jump out and slash at his gun or perhaps cut off one of his fingers.

No matter how badass a fighter you are, there's someone who can kick your ass.
chuck is pretty badass, and no one is better than him.

by the way my bow is a Parker, I have yet to get a deer with a bow, but I'm still young. After you go bow hunting, using a rifle is as easy as scratching your ass.
 

Explosioneer

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 25, 2006
27
0
0
Those going in to the discussion on Indians based on my post: Note the fact that I said that our expansion was done at the expense of others, but that was for a different topic - the US' treatment of the Indians and the handling of 'Manifest Destiny' was exactly what I was alluding to. Just to clear that up...