• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vote/Rep system

Vote/Rep system

• Negative votes should not effect rep

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Leave as is

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Remove Rep system completely

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Change system so votes up or down are no longer anonymous

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
Personally, the vote rep system doesn't bother me. Main reason I'm not gonna post here is because I have to wait for a Moderator to okay my posts at random. I've tried to point something out in the whitelisted map download thread twice, and both times, it says it's pending moderator approval. I hate wasting my time.

Edit: And yet, this one goes through just fine.

Your first 5 posts are so are moderated, after that, you're in the clear. Just keep posting and they'll all be going through eventually.

Upvote 0
I voted for dispensing with the system completely. But, failing that, I'd say down-voting should require some sort of accompanying explanation.

Now, I have, on occasion, used voting to anonymously endorse a comment someone has posted; a thought or concept that I could support which I felt needed no additional input from myself. In fact, I've used it once, just now, within this very thread.

However, I don't believe I've ever down-voted anyone, for any reason whatsoever.

If I disagree with something that someone has posted, and I feel it warrants a response, I'm naturally predisposed to taking a moment to offer my contrary view on the subject, rather than simply clicking a mouse to down-vote. That mouse-click offers no explanations, insight, alternatives or offer of dialogue regarding the reasons behind someone's disapproval. I guess that simply doesn't work for me.

Maybe employing a separate reputation and post-approval system would be a step up, although I doubt I'd be inclined to use it any differently than I do now. Short of some very personal attack, I don't see myself clobbering the reputation of someone I know only through a handful of their words. (Especially if English possibly isn't their native language.)

Do we need to indulge in the vanity of a beauty pageant or popularity contest? Personally, I'd say no. While we may disagree with certain people on this or that, aren't we already on notice as members of these Forums to never confuse disagreement with disrespect? Further, how does someone, independent of their opinions regarding game-related topics, get to evolve, reputation-wise, into "bad apple" territory and still get to hang around?

Upvote 0
It's more for the entire forum, but as the only TWI game I play is KF, I feel that this is the right place for it.

Your post is a perfect example. You made a valid statment/asked a valid question, and someone down voted you without providing a reason why.

If you can follow my reasoning, here's why i said that:

Killing Floor forums, ideas section. Naturally i'm inclined to think that it's a suggestion for the game itself, given the circumstances. I suppose it's up to the thread title to dissuade me otherwise. I believe that here was the wrong place for it, but support you reasoning behind it; similar threads have resulted in rapid and negative effects on a person's rank.

I really hate when people downvote with no reason whatsoever. All that says is that said downvoter is a lazy loser who hates everything but can't say why. Who wants to be that?

I voted for dispensing with the system completely. But, failing that, I'd say down-voting should require some sort of accompanying explanation.

Now, I have, on occasion, used voting to anonymously endorse a comment someone has posted; a thought or concept that I could support which I felt needed no additional input from myself. In fact, I've used it once, just now, within this very thread.

However, I don't believe I've ever down-voted anyone, for any reason whatsoever.

If I disagree with something that someone has posted, and I feel it warrants a response, I'm naturally predisposed to taking a moment to offer my contrary view on the subject, rather than simply clicking a mouse to down-vote. That mouse-click offers no explanations, insight, alternatives or offer of dialogue regarding the reasons behind someone's disapproval. I guess that simply doesn't work for me.

Maybe employing a separate reputation and post-approval system would be a step up, although I doubt I'd be inclined to use it any differently than I do now. Short of some very personal attack, I don't see myself clobbering the reputation of someone I know only through a handful of their words. (Especially if English possibly isn't their native language.)

Do we need to indulge in the vanity of a beauty pageant or popularity contest? Personally, I'd say no. While we may disagree with certain people on this or that, aren't we already on notice as members of these Forums to never confuse disagreement with disrespect? Further, how does someone, independent of their opinions regarding game-related topics, get to evolve, reputation-wise, into "bad apple" territory and still get to hang around?

This.

Upvote 0
I love the current reputation system, because once a person has 50+ posts there's a relatively accurate assessment of how valuable of a contributor they are. Not everyone posts in good faith, and the rep system is a great aggregate of a user's contributions to the forums.

If anything, to avoid either a "beauty pageant" or "popularity contest" I'd rather have it so that instead of having downvotes not affect a user's rep, ONLY downvotes would affect a user's rep. It seems to me that it would solve both points AND encourage people to downvote only truly awful posts.

Reactions: noupperlobeman
Upvote 0
I love the current reputation system, because once a person has 50+ posts there's a relatively accurate assessment of how valuable of a contributor they are. Not everyone posts in good faith, and the rep system is a great aggregate of a user's contributions to the forums.

If anything, to avoid either a "beauty pageant" or "popularity contest" I'd rather have it so that instead of having downvotes not affect a user's rep, ONLY downvotes would affect a user's rep. It seems to me that it would solve both points AND encourage people to downvote only truly awful posts.

Problem is that some people downvote for other reasons.

1. Someone makes a post about Class X, and then some of the people that hate Class X downvote it because of that. To them it does not matter whether the info/question/suggestion was good or not.

2. A newer member makes a post about something that was discussed months, or even years ago, and many older members downvote it due to that, and then some other, newer members jump on the down vote band wagon.

3. Grammer: As Rhenna said, not everyone here learned English as a first language, but someone makes a post that is hard to understand, and people down vote it just for that.

There are also the other things I mentioned earlier:

Member X hates/dislikes member Z, and then down votes simply because of the person making the post.

And as others have said, it is a simple way for people to disagree without having to justify why, or add anything to the discussion.

Quote Rhenna: "If I disagree with something that someone has posted, and I feel it warrants a response, I'm naturally predisposed to taking a moment to offer my contrary view on the subject, rather than simply clicking a mouse to down-vote. That mouse-click offers no explanations, insight, alternatives or offer of dialogue regarding the reasons behind someone's disapproval."

I voted that it should not effect Rep, but now that I think about it I feel I voted wrong, and agree that any negative vote should require a reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: sph34r
Upvote 0