• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Voice Chat Distortion

Fox Herbst

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 17, 2020
Hey everyone ! First off, big fan ! love your work and support to all the games you got so far.
Now to business, me and everyone I've played with recently including my friends have a problem hearing each other because of a massive distort problem.
Can you please look into this ?

Sincerely,
Fox Herbst.

Is this still an issue after the hotfix that went out July 23rd? It addressed some voice chat issues.
I can confirm that it is not fixed.
Before the Epic update, I always had voice receive volume maxed, the quality was actually pretty impressive.
These days, having the setting higher than 2/3rds completely destroys the quality, as if people suddenly switched to the cheapest microphones possible and their connection quality was cut in half.
I tested setting it to 50%, then increased the system/hardware volume to match the voice volume level before the update. Result: the overall voice quality is simply worse than before the big update.

Some friends have been having issues with voice chat not being available at all, randomly. Very similar to the issue a couple of years (?) back, where most people couldn't transmit or receive voice in the game.

Also, I'm curious, since configuring microphone settings in the game still opens the Steam settings for it, is all voice now going through Epic's servers using the Vivox codec? Is voice chat still accessible for LAN-only servers?

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue myself. Also when I change my mic volume via the in game menu and the subsequent popup screen it muffles all my audio.

@Yoshiro Mentioned relaying my audio/mic settings, but I'm not sure exactly what he wants. I've attached my DxDiag.

View attachment 2335362
- Screenshot windows audio settings (input & output, control panel)
- Screenshot Steam/ EGS audio settings
- Screenshot KF2 in-game audio settings
- Attach dxdiag (launch dxdiag.exe and export)

Other things to consider when trouble shooting are any third party software for sound devices.

Thanks for taking the time to provide details. :)

Upvote 0
- Screenshot windows audio settings (input & output, control panel)
- Screenshot Steam/ EGS audio settings
- Screenshot KF2 in-game audio settings
- Attach dxdiag (launch dxdiag.exe and export)

Other things to consider when trouble shooting are any third party software for sound devices.

Thanks for taking the time to provide details. :)

The other requested screenshots. Let me know if anything else is needed.

Playback 01.png
Playback 02.png
Playback Adv.png

Record 01.png
Record Adv.png

Steam.png

Upvote 0