• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Voice acting

SHM

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Italy
Killing Floor is a splendid game with a lot of interesting characters. Problem was, in my humble opinion, that the voice acting of the first Killing Floor was not enough. We had like 2 male voices for more than 20 characters. I believe that a good voice acting can help a lot with getting well into the atmosphere of a game. I hope KF2 has unique voices for each characters.

I have over 1500 hours on kf, and never got sick of lines. But I understand some people may find it annoying

They introduced the female voice actress and I find it very irritating, although hilarious at times. Players who play female characters are the ones who spam radio commands the most, but it's mainly the voice's odd enthusiasm that I don't appreciate.

Upvote 0
I have over 1500 hours on kf, and never got sick of lines. But I understand some people may find it annoying

I don't think he's getting 'sick' of the lines but instead wants more variation and more variety to the voices themselves. I can't speak for SHM but I'm going to assume he didn't have a problem with the lines the voices say and that all he wants is that each character gets a 'unique' voice. He wasn't implying the current way voice stuff works is bad or annoying, it's probably just a suggestion to make the sequel better.

Anyways, if we're talking about voice commands, could we get some sort of variable replication that makes all players get the same voice clip? It's currently just randomized for each player and it would be a nice touch.

Upvote 0
Of course I do like the current voices of the original game. As skell said, I just think that some more variation could be welcomed. Just to make an example, L4D survivors are pretty popular in the videogame world because they are all unique, with their own stories (which sometimes they tell during a game) and their unique voice. If you put it in that way, KF characters are just random people with very few voices.

I just think that a right voice acting can add a lot of depth on the characters.

Another example.

Imagine a conversation between Sergeant Powers and Mike Noble

MN: So, how come you were able to survive so far this bloody mess?
SP: Coming home and finding that your family was reduced to giblets give you a good reason to kill all these bloody ******s.
MN: Fair enough. All that was left of my girlfriend was her partly-chewed legs. I can understand how you feel.

or maybe even more something like this

-Hey mate, do you really trust that Thorne guy?
-You mean Carnivore? Not a little bit. That freak gonna try to kill us soon, mark my words.
-At least he doesn't collect the zed's fingers...
-What do you mean?
-Don't you know? Powers has its own private collection of zed's fingers.
-...Do we have somebody normal in this group besides you and me?

Upvote 0
If I hear "lovely big guns" once in KF2 I'm gonna blow my brains out...

Seriously, can we go back to having a SILENT, MYSTERIOUS trader like in KFmod 2.5? The current trader is annoying as hell and is kinda unrealistic how she just magically teleports from place to place. At least the old one would make more sense because she was mysterious, possibly not even human.

And yes, the "funny" dialogue... funny the first 2 hours I was playing the game, and the rest of the 1068 hours I was annoyed like crazy by it.

Upvote 0
Here's how I think about it.

Take Team Fortress 2 as an example.

Everyone knows the characters. Everyone. Why? Because their characters have DEPTH. Most of that depth comes from the voice acting (which is phenomenal.)

I think if they take time to replicate that in some way, the KF characters could become even more memorable.

Upvote 0
Take Team Fortress 2 as an example.

Everyone knows the characters. Everyone. Why? Because their characters have DEPTH.
I don't know what your depth meter finds to qualify as "has depth". But I find it hard to believe that the TF2 characters have some kind of special depth. I feel that the actual reason why these characters are so memorable is because they're so different from one another and therefore aren't clumped together. Also there's only like 9 of them. On top of that, each character has their own capabilities and roles, which forces the player to know which is which through gameplay and through dialog. Killing Floor didn't tie perks to 1 character, if they did, there would only be 7 characters and their 'depth' would be comparable to that of TF2's.

Don't get me wrong, the characters in TF2 are brilliantly made. They do an over the top stereotype without insulting the people they're stereotyping. It's great. But comparing KF's characters to TF2's just isn't valid.

Upvote 0
We had like 2 male voices for more than 20 characters.
Thats not true, how did you forget the unused 3rd voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5eQtXvPvrM
As far as i know, only 3 characters were to use this voice... so that doesnt matter. TWI also couldnt get Pyro's voice sadly :(

Players who play female characters are the ones who spam radio commands the most
So before Ash was in the game, no one else spammed :rolleyes:
Another example.
Imagine a conversation between Sergeant Powers and Mike Noble
L4D series is scripted with only 4 main characters per game in which those specific vocals are to be used on that specific map.
I can't imagine that KF2 wont have more then 5 character voices, but im sure we will get more voices (if not individual voices for all 30+ future characters).

Upvote 0