• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VNTE-FirebaseGeorgina

Firebase Georgina
May 5th, 1970.

The Vietnamese dry season is coming to an end, and the monsoon winds of the rainy season carry cool, wet air from the sea to the highlands. On a small hilltop in Gia Lai province, an American platoon sets out from Firebase Georgina to patrol the area below.

This map features six objectives:
  • A - Contact
  • B - Burn Zone
  • C - Ammo Cache
  • D - Rice Fields
  • E - Thac Nuoc Village
  • F - Firebase Georgina
The map is 36 minutes long, and has 750 NVA tickets and 600 US tickets.

VNTE-FirebaseGeorgina
Version: B1
Direct Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0GL2LJG7wd3ZUJZQllSczU1Z2c
SWS Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1105846762

B1 Changelog:
  • Lowered radio volume
  • Lowered water level in the river and in the irrigation trench so that nobody can crouch below the surface
  • Added US Recon (with help from Tyler)
  • Fixed terrain clipping through dugouts
  • Fixed an issue where the ground materials of some dugouts appeared stretched
  • Added 75 US tickets (600)
  • Added 100 VN tickets (750)
  • Reduced time by 9 minutes (36)
  • Added ammo resupply for PAVN at A
  • Moved PAVN spawn-protection volume at A closer to objective
  • Added more concealment and detail in front of A for the PAVN
  • Added some bushes and trees for concealment behind A for the US
  • Added small amounts of cover to A and B
  • Added terrain detailing everywhere: nowhere is completely flat and boring anymore
  • Replaced grass meshes on rice-paddy separators with a more natural-looking, less performance-intensive mesh
  • Fixed known floating objects - let me know if there are any I missed
  • Added a tunnel system from B to C
  • Added ammo resupply in the tunnel system for the PAVN as they attack C
  • Added handmade trenches to the east flank of C
  • Removed sandbag cover on the roof of C
  • Added ammo resupply for PAVN at D
  • Added ammo resupply for US at D
  • Changed irrigation trenches at D to a handmade trench
  • Made PAVN no-tunnel volume at F smaller - tunnels can be built closer
  • Moved US no-artillery volume at F away from objective - tunnels will be more vulnerable
  • Fixed the grass-LoD bug - after about eight hours of work, I finally made it so that no grass ever appears in the wrong Level of Detail for its distance. Ask me about this if you want an earful about Unreal 3. Jesus.
  • Added detailing throughout the map, like small rocks, leaves on the ground, debris and the likes
B1.1 Changelog:
  • Removed decals at B temporarily until the IR system no longer causes them to turn the terrain black
  • Added light to the tunnel entrance at B
  • Replaced rocks near E that had no collision
  • Fixed vines being offset from their trees
  • Fixed ground materials taking up unnecessary space in the map's own package
  • Replaced trench and tunnel materials to match the material used everywhere else
  • Added light to interiors of bunkers at F
B1.2 Changelog:
  • Fixed missing material bug on the tunnel entrance at B
  • Entirely removed the radio track file to comply with the contest

Thanks to UncleFester for the light build.

This map is in Beta. This means that the map could conceivably be called finished now, but I am not ruling out the possibility of further updates or fixes.

Images here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/2pprO

Last edited:
Played it twice now but both attacking as NV. The first round we rolled but stalled at F, 2nd we couldn't get through the burned patch. The craters are spaced well for dashing between them, but I think it could use a few more tree stumps or burn piles. It's kind of flat otherwise. More fire, too. As sunny as it is elsewhere, it would be cool if that area was really hazy & hellish.

I think it could be a little wider overall, maybe, but my team wasn't really trying to use the flanks so IDK for sure. Maybe more of a zigzag layout overall? Again I haven't played it as US yet but once they formed a firing line we were stopped cold. I liked the narrow irrigation ditch with the dam, more of that would be cool. Maybe a couple of flooded areas? Didn't see much of the village or any of the firebase other than the main bunker on the hill.

Sapper class needs that satchel charge or just stick grenades, if you could implement that mutator someone posted that would be a first AFAIK.

Upvote 0
VNTE-FirebaseGeorgina

Version A3

Direct Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0GL2LJG7wd3cE15UDkyZGxMTjg

SWS Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1105846762

A3 Changelog:
- Added 15 minutes to match time
- Changed US Artillery limit to 10 (cooldown about 4 minutes 30 seconds)
- Changed US Spooky limit to 11 (cooldown about 4 minutes)
- Changed US Napalm limit to 7 (cooldown about 6 minutes)
- Changed US Recon cooldown to 180 seconds
- Changed PAVN artillery limit to 11 (cooldown about 4 minutes)
- Moved US spawns at B and C further from the objectives
- Added 100 US reinforcements
- Added 100 PAVN reinforcements
- Spawns now change 10 seconds after an objective is captured, instead of 15 seconds after

Upvote 0
VNTE-FirebaseGeorgina
Version: A3.3
Direct Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...jFzLVBIMVg4Q0E

A3.1 Changelog:
- Fixed radio

A3.2 Changelog:
- Lowered maximum radio volume to 1 and minimum to 0, because apparently people don't like their Steve Winwood blasting at 200 decibels. Freaks.
- Also, if I understand the meaning of minimum radio volume correctly, it should now decrease when you turn down the master volume. I hope.

A3.3 Changelog:
- Fixed an issue where the US spawn protection at F would fail to activate, letting the attackers spawn-camp the defenders. Spawncamping should no longer be possible. Let me know if you're still experiencing this issue.
- Added a new post-processing setup to the burned area around objective B, so it looks very nice now. Very nice.

The next update, I think, will be the one where I go through and make the changes that need a new light build. That, and I've heard that there's still plenty of time left when both teams run out of tickets. Because this happens when the fighting has made it to F, I think the issue is that the map is too long, and the ticket numbers are actually pretty good as they are. I'll be looking into decreasing the map time as well, depending on how long it usually takes people to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Djembe
Upvote 0
Hi mate,

Played version A3_4 tonight. We had a US defender able to rater efficiently spawn camp the second last cap. Ended up with about 50 kills from that venture. Not sure if your position on spawns but I thought I would bring it to you attention as it killed the atmosphere. Love the radio / music. We got down to the wiir with te LSD warning !

Upvote 0
That doesn't sound like it should be happening. I suspect that it has to do with the new spawn-protection system, where if the spawn protection begins while you're in it and you don't leave the zone, it doesn't actually stop you from shooting. Only a bad workman blames his tools, I know, but I don't know why it would have happened otherwise. I'll take a look at it, I guess.

Upvote 0
[h=2]VNTE-FirebaseGeorgina[/h] Version: B1
Direct Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0GL2LJG7wd3ZUJZQllSczU1Z2c

B1 Changelog:
  • Lowered radio volume
  • Lowered water level in the river and in the irrigation trench so that nobody can crouch below the surface
  • Added US Recon (with help from Tyler)
  • Fixed terrain clipping through dugouts
  • Fixed an issue where the ground materials of some dugouts appeared stretched
  • Added 75 US tickets (600)
  • Added 100 VN tickets (750)
  • Reduced time by 9 minutes (36)
  • Added ammo resupply for PAVN at A
  • Moved PAVN spawn-protection volume at A closer to objective
  • Added more concealment and detail in front of A for the PAVN
  • Added some bushes and trees for concealment behind A for the US
  • Added small amounts of cover to A and B
  • Added terrain detailing everywhere: nowhere is completely flat and boring anymore
  • Replaced grass meshes on rice-paddy separators with a more natural-looking, less performance-intensive mesh
  • Fixed known floating objects - let me know if there are any I missed
  • Added a tunnel system from B to C
  • Added ammo resupply in the tunnel system for the PAVN as they attack C
  • Added handmade trenches to the east flank of C
  • Removed sandbag cover on the roof of C
  • Added ammo resupply for PAVN at D
  • Added ammo resupply for US at D
  • Changed irrigation trenches at D to a handmade trench
  • Made PAVN no-tunnel volume at F smaller - tunnels can be built closer
  • Moved US no-artillery volume at F away from objective - tunnels will be more vulnerable
  • Fixed the grass-LoD bug - after about eight hours of work, I finally made it so that no grass ever appears in the wrong Level of Detail for its distance. Ask me about this if you want an earful about Unreal 3. Jesus.
  • Added detailing throughout the map, like small rocks, leaves on the ground, debris and the likes

Reactions: Djembe
Upvote 0
Hi Zachery Moe , i quite like the map, really well done.

Just something i noticed roughly a week - 10 days ago (unsure if there's been an update since). An M60 machine gunner was able to lay prone underneath the waterlevel in the irrigation ditch, along the front of the D capzone. He was at the eastern end & enfiladed the F%^* out of us, along its length. We couldn't locate him at first, then couldn't retaliate when we did, i.e couldnt mellee him, couldn't shoot him from above, nades had no effect (as i recall) as the water texture seems bullet proof? & his flank was too well protected by his squad, so couldnt get behind him to go prone & shoot him.
He got a terrific number of kills doing this & its just a shame he chose to exploit it,

hope it helps

Upvote 0
Thanks for letting me know. That's certainly not supposed to happen. People shouldn't be able to go prone there, and the water volume usually does prevent it from happening, but I think what he must have done is run up to the trench and hit the prone key just before he hit the water. It's my fault for not realizing you can do that. I don't know how to fix this yet, but I'm going to start asking around, and if I can figure out a way to prevent people from doing it I'll implement it as soon as I can. That is certainly not supposed to be happening.

Upvote 0
No problem zach, i really do like the map, we've had alot of tense times around that final fsb cap, though the Viets do tend to win, unless the US really play out of their socks.

a placeholder measure might be to put some of those steel flow gates etc @ intervals along the irrigation ditch, until something more correct can be done to prevent the exploit.

If the line of sight is fore shortened, it would really limit the advantage that can be gained & make the exploit a bit pointless anyway. As it was, i think the MG was scoring kills, along the entire length of the ditch, to the next bend.

Upvote 0