• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VNTE-Da Nang Air Base

PsychoPigeon

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006
In Unreal
A year ago I started work on a large-scale TE map, with the U.S Marines defending the Da Nang Air Base against a Viet Cong attack. Due to other commitments I had to postpone development, but last month I picked it up again to take it the rest of the way.

​

Based on a real portion of the base, the map features 8 objectives in a traditional linear layout that players enjoy but with a twist that will allow lots of opportunities to flank, and will take the player not only through the airfield but the hamlets and rice paddies, the perimeter wire, and through to the logistic and barrack areas. Many new props have already been created to give the map a fresh theme and offer the player new experiences. More details, soon!

o9iJClX.jpg

Update #1 - The Blockhouse

Da Nang has a strong historic tie with the French, it's one of the first locations they landed in the 1800s and it's a place the French continued to have a presence. The land route linking the city of Hue to Da Nang became of vital importance as there was no other viable route through the northern mountains. Vietnamese insurgents persistently ambushed convoys and held up supply lines all along Highway 1. In response, French commanders built watchtowers and blockhouses to deter enemy attacks and provide safe haven for traders and the French military. Later on, the Americans often reused the old blockhouses for their own security efforts.

Several blockhouses still remain today on the outskirts of the airfield, although they are becoming more rare as Da Nang is a fast-growing city. A lot of the relics from past wars are disappearing at a rapid rate but if you keep your eye out as you drive through the countryside occasionally you'll find one half-buried or concealed by overgrowth on the side of the road.

Xq1RlQV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Xq1RlQV.jpg

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nateoxide
Upvote 0