• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VNSU-Ia Drang Valley - WIP/Feedback

Sgt.NightFire

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
Ia Drang Valley from 1965:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ia_Drang

This is a map i have been working on since i joined the closed beta back in March, i was not able to work on it for a while in April, as the editor had some issues, but i have been continuing my work since the game officially released. As a fan of the Ia Drang Valley map from Battlefield Project Reality, i decided to create a RS2 map inspired by it, as i noticed from people in the community that this is a highly requested map!

BE AWARE, BECAUSE OF LIGHTING ISSUES THE SCREENSHOT QUALITY IS NOT PRESENTABLE OF THE FINISHED WORK! SCREENSHOTS ARE ALSO TAKING IN PEI (Play In Editor) WHERE THE LIGHTING ALWAYS LOOKS POOR. THE MAP IS ALSO NOT ALPHA/BETA RELEASE READY!

I did not want to make a helicopter base somewhere far off in the map, as when there are no more choppers, you will get people waiting, so i created a old police base that is in use and from here people who miss the choppers taking off, can still walk towards the objectives.

Be aware (again) that the actual battle was mostly thick fields covered with foliage, mostly Elephant grass and some jungles. So i am taking some liberty in creating this map and adding some fictive places to get some variety going on on the map. (See down below on what objectives will be added)

The main US base (old screenshot btw)
1Q4kX00.jpg

LZ X-Ray, the main landing zone where heavy fighting occurred. Expect to be fighting from thick jungles to dodging bullets in open rolling fields covered in elephant grass!
wQVFakN.jpg

Hot humid jungles where a ambush can happen at any time.
LSwjyaw.jpg

A abandoned NVA base will be part of LZ X-Ray's position, in the real battle they had their main base of operations set up at a ant hill. Seeing in game that would leave you very very open in a field between some foliage, i opted for a more fun setting.
HG13hbN.jpg

More map info:

Mode: Supremacy (maybe create a Territory after its done)
Sides: NVA vs US Army
NVA side will receive just one RPG class.
Air Support:
No Loach as they came into service in 1966, the Ia Drang Valley battle took place in 1965. This means also no AH-1 Cobra as those first saw action back in 1968. Don't worry as there will be a long time out on SAM's.

Other objectives will be the dried out river bed that was essential to the battle, another objective will be a tiny hill that is the NVA's main ammo supply dump. Another objective is a old abandoned ruined villa deep in the jungle (the D house from Hue City) and another one will be a trenched area that looks similar to Hill but with more foliage. A small farmers village will be added with some rice paddies so the map has allot of variation in its locations going on.

*EDIT*
Radio sounds i created for a radio on the main US base:

Sneak Peek:
https://youtu.be/RIsqkHhlmOI

More images here:

Last edited:
Airstrikes? As in Sam? Those will be on 4 minutes, the big issue with maps where the US team has to use choppers, its not a good thing if they constantly get shot down, thats why there is only one RPG class at the moment. i want this really to be a infantry map where Choppers are mostly transport, there is also no Loach as that came into service in 1966 and the Ia Drang Battle happened in 1965.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dude, do you know how long they took to make the maps in the game? A year! And Ia Drang will be bigger! I am not rushing out anything half done so people get a bad first impression from it.

But i made some screenshots to show some progress:

yLM488K.jpg

A new landing zone next to the small one i showed before. Its the same size as the landing zone near Bravo on An Lao Valley.

U58bhXi.jpg

A napalmed area i just started on. The rocks might stay or not, still a heavy w.i.p location.

yac4fFt.jpg

Starting work on the farmers area. The napalmed area is beyond the tree line. (heavy w.i.p)

wLQa5aB.jpg

The first parts of the NVA's main base is here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0