• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Version for MACs?

mac users are so downtrodden I can't find it in me to hurt them more

Not really, I deal with Apple customers constantly. They're uniformly egotistical.

The most common thread is cluelessness, unfortunately, since the Mac OS kernel is innately stable, and their proprietary hardware is admittedly high quality, but the vast majority of Mac fans seem to be people who think Apple makes using their computer easier.

The real problem with Apple is intellectual property. Windows users can't stand Apple's OS because a lot of user interface decisions are un-intuitive. Thing is, they're only different because they have to be.

Basically the good features of both OS UI's that are mutually exclusive are such because the entire industry is in a mexican standoff over copyright law, with every competitor holding back all the others' advancement.

There's that markup too, but the price gap isn't as large as people claim when comparing to competing proprietary/portable devices of equal build quality.

There are lots of reasons to hate Apple, for example it'd be real great if the iterative versions of their products were labeled in any legible manner of nomenclature at ****ing all such that an uninformed observer could scry which was newer without memorizing model numbers or which angle each series sits on the unlabeled boxes.

Nope, there were go, I'm seething. It goes both ways though. Today a guy who (gasp) can build his own computers (kowtow) raged about the latest Macbook having only a USB-C port; which having only one USB port does blow, but he was just ignorant of what USB-C is and that it's actually awesome in a bunch of ways and probably going to become the new ubiquitous standard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, the cult of Steve Jobs is a very real thing, and I only escaped when he died.

Ultimately Apple holds to the mindset that they make all the decisions so the consumer doesn't have to, where as with windows there are a lot more options made available.

So for a while there it was great to buy into the idea that they could build the perfect machine for me, partially because their custom hardware was cutting edge. But now that they've lost some of their sharpness, and now that I'm wanting to customize my rig more than 'a or b', they fall out of favor.

But that's as a hardware seller. As far as software goes there's only one option as far as I'm concerned, and that's the one that works with the majority of products available. Which makes windows the only choice.

But in both, there is plenty of room for individual preference. It's hardly a 'right choice wrong choice' situation. It merely means that when a mac user complains about not having all the software choices that a windows user does, I feel like they've chosen that for themselves and it's not anyone's fault but their own. In the same way that when my iPhone ****s up the sync and my iTunes library keeps messing up album names, I understand that it's because I'm trying to make windows and mac talk and they inherently don't like to.

But I digress. I do hope mac users get their port, because more inclusiveness is always better.
So, best of luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very interesting and thoughtful posts above. If I'd have to add something it would be that: I do not use Mac because that's just not how I PC master-race! Silent operation? Screw that, unless I go deaf if I sit within 3 yards of it, it is not cool enough! Upgradeability is a must for us, master racers, because even if I have a Dell, I can stick a Titan X in there. Never mind that my PSU will do an impression of mtn. Vesuvius circa 79 AD. I can put it in, it has the proper slot, and my case opens! Careful selection of components that operate well together? No way! I can populate my quad channel board with sticks of ram of different capacity and clock speeds, so I will do that! I have options, mother****ers!

I am not entirely sure what my point was, I hope this is obvious from my post.
(Sry mods, please don't ban me. I spent like 5 minutes writing this on my iPhone so I can't NOT post it!)

Upvote 0
(Sry mods, please don't ban me. I spent like 5 minutes writing this on my iPhone so I can't NOT post it!)

Unless you're Hitler, you're probably O.K.

I'm not a Mac person but I can play devil's advocate, that's the most impartial way to discuss something, forcing yourself to promote something you don't personally appreciate.

What I do know is that in OS X's early days, the fact that it's Unix made it much more stable than Windows at the time. Unix handles memory very well, which was causing OS crashes a lot back then; a program would go wonky and write to RAM the OS was using, causing a BSOD. Macs before OSX also had this problem.

It also supported multithreading well. So before computers commonly had multiple cores or virtual hyperthreading or whatever, each application had to manually free time for others. A lot of developers didn't, so often one program would just use up all the CPU's time max priority all selfish-style. So with Unix time division is at the OS level and applied to all programs.

I'm sure Windows adopted a similar approach around the same time, but it is what it is; for a long time Macs were more stable than PC's. I suspect they're basically neck-and-neck now (you wouldn't believe the **** I do to this computer), but they haven't really damaged their reputation as more stable, so it just persists; particularly since Windows is easy to break if you're stupid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0