• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Unoffical Mapping FAQ (w/ Map Scale!)

Zell said:
I just press Ctrl-O to turn the volumes off... Am I a terrible mapper? :p

Yes! You're so lucky we are here to save you! :)

No, seriously... You can certainly build a map without taking advantage of groups and such. I simply find that when I have to go back and update or fix things that being able to select a group and edit it all at once is a huge advantage.

Sometimes you need a finer grain than what UnrealEd provides. For example, volumes includes spawn volumes, minefield volumes, no artillery volumes, location volumes, blocking volumes, objective volumes, etc, etc. It's rare that I'll want to work with ALL volumes, so I use groups to give me that fine grain control.

Upvote 0
DingBat said:
Sometimes you need a finer grain than what UnrealEd provides. For example, volumes includes spawn volumes, minefield volumes, no artillery volumes, location volumes, blocking volumes, objective volumes, etc, etc. It's rare that I'll want to work with ALL volumes, so I use groups to give me that fine grain control.

.. and don't forget Anti Portals!
.. but yes.. I generally group by some kind of logical grouping.. areas like each spawn.. sometimes each objective area, then I'll also group things like all the pathnodes and AI Def point scripts go into one group.. any projectors/emitters I might also group.

I do a fair amount of editing in the perspective view, and it really helps to cut down the clutter for me.

It's also pretty handy if you need to make a global property change to each item in the group.. so you could group all your lights, sunlights, hi-detail smeshs, projectors, etc.. ;]

Upvote 0
On cap zones: be careful how you lay these out. There are a few maps where the cap zone is not only exposed, but there's this wonderful bit of cover two steps OUTSIDE the cap zone.

Also, be wary of making them too small or too big. Too small has been mentioned. Too big is more complicated- it is very frustrating as a defender to have the zone start being capped, and before you can even -find- the enemy, it

Upvote 0
Antigen said:
Hmm, I hope this isn't always true. I would rather use my imagination to try to think up maps, rather than pouring hours into research. Does this mean that if I create a map based on a fictional setting, no one will bother playing my map?

A very easy thing to do would be to pick up a copy of Guy Sajers Forgotten Soldier.

As a piece of WWII literature it is almost unparralled in it's articulation of the horror of the eastern front. It would do wonders for your imagination.

Upvote 0
Chernuk said:
Are there plugins needed to import 2D art from Gimp into ROed? If so where can I download it?

Importing graphics from any app into ROEd is the same workflow.

You simply save you texture in the color depth, image format, and size appropriate for all unreal textures, and, inside of the Editor, you import your texture.

Upvote 0
I wish there was a simple way to tell the dimensions of a brush, but you can shift+middle mouse click and drag to measure things manually.

To select multiple things, ctrl+left click individual objects. You can also go ctrl+alt+shift and drag a box.

Does this mean that if I create a map based on a fictional setting, no one will bother playing my map?
Nah. Just look at SnowyForest. (though now it's a new version with some historical thing to it, I think). But you should at least try to make a "this could've happened" scenario.

Upvote 0
****** said:
I wish there was a simple way to tell the dimensions of a brush, but you can shift+middle mouse click and drag to measure things manually.

To select multiple things, ctrl+left click individual objects. You can also go ctrl+alt+shift and drag a box.

Nah. Just look at SnowyForest. (though now it's a new version with some historical thing to it, I think). But you should at least try to make a "this could've happened" scenario.

Ahh this is what I needed, many thank yous

Upvote 0