• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI, you remind me of Bungie.

AntiCitizenJuan

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2011
edit: I am referring to Bungie's forum activity.

You develop a game with the promise to cater to your niche crowd of hardcore gamers; showing all of these great new features over many months. Your audience is completely psyched for the new game.
Then the game comes out.

The game we had been promised isn't there. It was released WAY too early, with many of the massive bugs still in the game after weeks of beta testing. The alleged authenticity of the game has been reduced since Ost Front in most aspects. The gameplay has changed significantly, and only feels vaguely like its predecessor. There is much less skill involved with dropping people from far away, as we now play a game about automatic super accurate, recoil-free lazer guns. There are overpowered prototype weapons in the hands of the average soldier, and unbalanced loadouts.

Your response to some of the balance issues remind me of how Bungie handled the criticisms with Halo Reach. In the sense that they never directly addressed the issue. You guys post in threads relating to balance with no actual input but "X gun is for pussies" or "nope, ur wrong".

Meanwhile there are waves of ravenous fanboys defending all of these decisions that detract from the realistic and tactical experience that Red Orchestra is supposed to be, while your original fanbase who played RO Ost Front is telling you to stick to your word and make it authentic.

Meanwhile, all you would have to do to balance the game is reduce the number of lazer guns per team, a relatively simple fix. If you want to make the skeptics happy, give us updates. Keep us in the loop, let us know you're fixing the game. Hold us softly and whisper into our ears "everything is going to be okay."

Done.

Last edited:
Not to complain, because the core idea of the game I love but the biggest questionable design decisions are:

1) Unlocks, as you mention. Restrict these more appropriately - the assault rifle prototype should probably be Hero-only. If it is not, what does the Hero get, as far as equipment, to compare?

I would consider giving Russian heros the German assault rifle as a choice (from looting) similarly the German heros should be able to pick a PPSh.

2) If German armor is going to be superior to Russian armor in nearly every conceivable way, you need to compensate for this. I know it is historically accurate, but this is still a game. If you cannot balance the tanks - which is probable given their different interiors - then give Russians more reinforcements on all maps. This would also be historically accurate, and helps counter balance the deficiencies in Russian tanks.

Other than the MKb availability, though the Russian weapons are not as nice, they are comparable. Its mostly the tanks that are a problem.

3) WARNING PROTECTED AREA

Mark this on the map - its a no-brainer. If these are dynamic (which they are) if they are not visually represented people don't even know where to do if they are trapped in one. Also, a counter would help.

I have faith in Tripwire that these concerns will be addressed.

Upvote 0
Meanwhile, all you would have to do to balance the game is reduce the number of lazer guns per team, a relatively simple fix. If you want to make the skeptics happy, give us updates. Keep us in the loop, let us know you're fixing the game. Hold us softly and whisper into our ears "everything is going to be okay."

Done.

We repeatedly inform the community on what we are working on.

Right now our primary focus is on stats, voip, optimizations and crashes.

As to the "lazer" guns, you can't have this both ways. Either people want weapons that behave realistically, or they don't. We got yelled at for years about inaccuracies in RO 1, so we fixed them in RO 2. Every weapon in game behaves very close to their real life counterparts in the hands of a soldier.

Upvote 0
I disagree with OP about most things.

Though there are MANY bugs, they are working on them.

And the game still "feels" very much like RO. I enjoy the gameplay changes. I also hate CoD btw. :)

We are having a blast playing this game and when the stats are fixed and hopefully reset we will have fun with that too.

Upvote 0
As to the "lazer" guns, you can't have this both ways. Either people want weapons that behave realistically, or they don't. We got yelled at for years about inaccuracies in RO 1, so we fixed them in RO 2. Every weapon in game behaves very close to their real life counterparts in the hands of a soldier.

oh yes, you will learn that a trained shooter (aka a soldier) can easily take out a target at a little under to a little over 100 yards....which is mostly where we are shooting at. I can easily nail man sized targets at 100 yards with my m-44 carbine and K-98, and I am no trained soldier.

Upvote 0

Please don't forget that there are loads of us that are VERY happy with this game.
Most of them are just playing instead of complaining on the forums.
There's also a large amount that have decided to wait patently for the bugs to be fixed.

Anyone who complains that it was released to early, just pretend it wasn't and come back in like 2 months. My only "too early" complaint is that its recieving critic reviews that aren't what it will one day deserves. This is just like Killing Floor having a bad metascore but being a wonderful game.

Reactions: Fiennes
Upvote 0
oh yes, you will learn that a trained shooter (aka a soldier) can easily take out a target at a little under to a little over 100 yards....which is mostly where we are shooting at. I can easily nail man sized targets at 100 yards with my m-44 carbine and K-98, and I am no trained soldier.

Sprint 20 yards and time how long it takes you from stopping, to sighting, to hitting that target 100 yards. Now do this with a target that's also sprinting.

Reactions: skullman86
Upvote 0

How about a rephrase:

"Reduce the unrealisticly high proportion of of automatic weapons in the game -- especially on the German side -- and remove or at least return the Mkb42(h) to what it was advertised it was going to be: a "hero" weapon, with only 1 per side."

Yoshi, by your logic in this post, TWI could insert an M16 into the game, and as long as that weapon performed the same in game as it does in real life, it would be "realistic" to have it RO2.

Upvote 0
Why does everyone keep thinking the MP40 and Mkb are overpowered? (well of course the Mkb is good as it is the worlds first assault rifle ever made) but holy **** you guys must suck at the game, with the PPSH I CONTINUALLY take out MP40 users and Mkb users....

Now that's just with the stick mag, with the Drum Mag it doesn't just beat them, it DESTROYS them, I have had Mkb users run from my PPSH drum mag from what seemed like I had an endless amount of bullets....

Seriously some of you guys need to learn how to use the weapons properly and take out people with those guns, and instead of crying on the forums 24/7 about it you could be in game learning how to use other weapons.

Upvote 0

I'm glad to hear y'all are working on stuff. My main gripes aren't about weapon handling, they are about player handling. I was hoping to see things like inertia and momentum come into play while sprinting/moving. Also, the turning speed while sprinting seems completely off the charts. It's this attention to detail why I've come to love TWI. Sadly, it seems like the innovative features I loved TWI for have taken a backseat to RO2's version of 'Last Stand'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mazze
Upvote 0
Dont automatically assume I'm bad at this game because I can destroy most of you with a K98. I just want there to be balance, and anyone who thinks the MkB is balanced in any way, whether it be in terms of stats or distribution, is

A) Delusional
B) an Idiot
C) a Fanboy
D) a Bad Kid who abuses broken mechanics
E) All of the above

Of course it isn't balanced, there needs to be 1-2 people who can use it and not 6, but to think it destroys everything in game and to think that it's impossible to kill anyone who uses it...that's when your bad at the game.

Upvote 0
Yoshiro, accuracy is one thing, instant IS mode while sprinting, is another, and you put it in the game, because red orchestra had a delay for IS mode.

You can even go from hipshooting to IS mode without releasing mouse button one, which is impossibl in real life because of recoil.... common.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Of course it isn't balanced, there needs to be 1-2 people who can use it and not 6, but to think it destroys everything in game and to think that it's impossible to kill anyone who uses it...that's when your bad at the game.

it's not impossible to kill anyone who uses it, and I perform better than most even when being forced to deal with it. But to have a single weapon, that wasn't even supposed to be in Stalingrad (to the best of my knowledge), that dominates combat at all ranges, that multiple people have, ruins the balance of any firefight.

Reactions: Stahlhelmii
Upvote 0