• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Three ways to hold a gun- too many?

Tiger2

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
I am very keen on TWI's idea of making controls of the game far more intuitive and realistic, which is why I brought this topic up.

My suggestion is the following:

There should only be two ways to shoot: iron sights and zoomed in iron sights.

By default the weapon should always be in the low ready so that its not visible on the screen. The logic is that it should not obstruct your view.

If a player presses fire, the weapon is brought to the iron sight mode in a split second and fired. The weapon will stay in this position for a few more seconds and if no more shots are fired it will be lowered automatically. Note that this is only a visual effect, there is no delay between the time you press fire and the time when the weapon fires.

What are the views on this?

it was rather common in WW2 to hipfire SMG's in room to room fighting or when assaulting a position

remember, WW2's soldiers were not trained by todays standard, and even if they have been trained on a specific weapon, the doctrine how to use it would be totally different

for instance today its a verry common practice to shoot pistols with both hands, back then it was common practice to shoot it only with one hand
(just look for training videos to know what i mean)

Upvote 0
Who cares about what was common or not. Iron sight mode is the same as the hipfire mode, there is no difference whatsoever. Iron sight mode is specially made for CQB and zoomed in iron sights with controlled breathing give you precision at long range. Everything else is just for demagogues.

Upvote 0
By default the weapon should always be in the low ready so that its not visible on the screen. The logic is that it should not obstruct your view.

If a player presses fire, the weapon is brought to the iron sight mode in a split second and fired. The weapon will stay in this position for a few more seconds and if no more shots are fired it will be lowered automatically. Note that this is only a visual effect, there is no delay between the time you press fire and the time when the weapon fires.

What are the views on this?
This would be very awkward. First of all, completely taking away hip shooting is incredibly unrealistic, and also how the hell would we shoot around obstacles as shown in the preview vids? second of all, being able to pull up a gun into iron sights in a split second is also unrealistic. it reminds me of BF2 in that sense, you being able to click and just fire, where as in RO you had to wait for the irons to come into alignment, so hipshooting was more feasible in close range (not sure if feasible is a feasible word for that sentence :confused:).

Hipshooting is awesome. we wouldnt have RO or really and FPS without it. CS:S and DODS and such completely rely on it.

Upvote 0
Who cares about what was common or not. Iron sight mode is the same as the hipfire mode, there is no difference whatsoever. Iron sight mode is specially made for CQB and zoomed in iron sights with controlled breathing give you precision at long range. Everything else is just for demagogues.

ok then try to run down a hallway with ironsights aligned at high speed

good luck with that :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
What the hell? THERE IS A HUGE FREAKING DIFFERENCE. hip shooting has no control of exactly where you are aiming. if there is no difference, lets see Lyudmila Pavlichenko or Vasiliy Zaitsev shoot from the hip and kill someone at 500 yards. Iron Sight mode is made for CQB huh? maybe in tactical takedown, but if you are trying to hustle the hell outta a building and take some enemies with you would you be running with your ironsights up. Im pretty sure everyone cares about is common. Do you care if there is Butter or whipped cream on your toast? probably Butter, its more Common....

Upvote 0
This would be very awkward. First of all, completely taking away hip shooting is incredibly unrealistic, and also how the hell would we shoot around obstacles as shown in the preview vids? second of all, being able to pull up a gun into iron sights in a split second is also unrealistic. it reminds me of BF2 in that sense, you being able to click and just fire, where as in RO you had to wait for the irons to come into alignment, so hipshooting was more feasible in close range (not sure if feasible is a feasible word for that sentence :confused:).

Hipshooting is awesome. we wouldnt have RO or really and FPS without it. CS:S and DODS and such completely rely on it.

Blind firing would not be affected, it would stay in the game. You cannot seem to understand that iron sights are the same as hipshooting, no difference whatsoever. Bringing them up in a split second is realistic because you only use them as a rough guide. Now when you go into zoomed in sights, this takes some more time and you get perfect precision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Blind firing would not be affected, it would stay in the game. You cannot seem to understand that iron sights are the same as hipshooting, no difference whatsoever. Bringing them up in a split second is realistic because you only use them as a rough guide. Now when you go into zoomed in sights, this takes some more time and you get perfect precision.
hmm... you dont seem to know that zooming in isnt real. in a split second. wow! try bringing up a 8 pound rifle to your shoulder in .3 seconds. id love to see a vid.

Upvote 0

you seem to dramatically mistake a shouldered position with both hipshooting and ironsights mode

hipshooting means you dont have the gun on your shoulder
shouldering your weapons means you have the gun in ready position, but have to bring it up to your face before being able to fire, i guess this is what you mean

but the dramatic difference is that when fireing from a shouldered position you dont look down the sights, you look down along the gun

seriously, this discussion is just patheticly wrong
we rather should have 3 modes (4 with zoom included) hipped weapon shouldered weapon, ironsights

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you seem to dramatically mistake a shouldered position with both hipshooting and ironsights mode

hipshooting means you dont have the gun on your shoulder
shouldering your weapons means you have the gun in ready position, but have to bring it up to your face before being able to fire, i guess this is what you mean

but the dramatic difference is that when fireing from a shouldered position you dont look down the sights, you look down along the gun

seriously, this discussion is just patheticly wrong

You are starting the carousel now. Shouldered, hip, sighted.. who cares! My point is clear as day: three ways to shoot is too many, so sights and zoomed in sights are the perfect mix.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you stupid? Watch the E3 video. There are 3 modes: hip, iron sights and zoome in iron sights.
Are YOU stupid? That's not my point. I'm saying hip firing and iron sights are two different things, AND that zooming in isn't real. Just because it is in a game doesn't make it real. Is Japanese Anime real? No. Same perspective with the zooming in. I must refer back to the MORTAL sin topic. I'm starting to agree with the person who stated that there should be no zooming in on the guns without scopes. It just doesn't make sense. all you get is a greater focus on that area. If you observe with your eyes when you look down the sights, you haven't zoomed in.

Upvote 0
go play CoD lol

sorry i had to say that..

anyways, it was NOT!!! common practice to keep a weapon in shouldered position, als you seem to forget about sprinting, running along fields

no soldier would keep a M91/30 in shouldered position unless maybe in room to room fighting

again the soldiers here are NOT modern day special forces with wighly ergonomic SMG's and carbines

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are YOU stupid? That's not my point. I'm saying hip firing and iron sights are two different things, AND that zooming in isn't real. Just because it is in a game doesn't make it real. Is Japanese Anime real? No. Same perspective with the zooming in. I must refer back to the MORTAL sin topic. I'm starting to agree with the person who stated that there should be no zooming in on the guns without scopes. It just doesn't make sense. all you get is a greater focus on that area. If you observe with your eyes when you look down the sights, you haven't zoomed in.

Lets not discuss zoom in this thread. Here we are arguing about if there is any significant difference between i.s. and hip.

EDIT: Lemon, during movement the weapon would go down to low ready automatically so there is no problem with my suggestion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lets not discuss zoom in this thread. Here we are arguing about if there is any significant difference between i.s. and hip.

yes there is

again you seem to confuse keeping a weapon in shouldered ready position and keeping a gun in a hipped position
sometimes i really wonder if ppl know what this game is about....
its not a CoD set in WW2

Last edited:
Upvote 0