• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Three new videos (German/Russian and mutliplayer).

Seriously, In games there's nothing worse than having someone yell something at you in Russian or German and you go "What?"

It's realistic that a German solider would be able to understand German.

It's not realistic that a German solider wouldn't be able to understand German.

Therefore it's more realistic for you, as a German solider, to be able to understand the tongue that your comrades are talking in - than not.

Oh, I have to disagree because in general, I will pick up what is being said after playing the game a bit even if its not in my native tongue. However...

It does not help with the immersion though. And what if I speak English but know a bit of German and want that immersion for example? I can understand the extra work involved and extra memory needed, but as was posted above, If I am playing German and getting the accented English, and the other Russian players are hearing us speak German, why can't we just hear the German language like the Russians will? Or is that just for single player... more info is needed lol

Edit: If someone's voice commands are going to come up in the text chat anyways in your native language as I imagine it will like in ROOST, then it would be nice to hear the German or Russian spoken words. Sure I can deal with the accented english version which personally I do dislike (not quite hate...) but as some others have said, it is a big immersion killer. I am not being picky just for this game, I hate badly dubbed (foreign) movies and would rather see them in their native language with the english translation of what is said written at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seriously, In games there's nothing worse than having someone yell something at you in Russian or German and you go "What?"

It's realistic that a German solider would be able to understand German.

It's not realistic that a German solider wouldn't be able to understand German.

Therefore it's more realistic for you, as a German solider, to be able to understand the tongue that your comrades are talking in - than not.

If you play long enough (which isn't that long) then you will learn the commands. (especially the insults :p) Not to mention you can still see it in english. Unless you are completley oblivious, then you should be able to see what people are typing.

Well, for people that can understand both Russian and German it doesn't make much difference. Although I don't speak Russian and German that well, I can understand a lot military chatter for listening to it in games such as ROOST and I think most people that play ROOST a lot can understand as well.
My point exactly. After a little while, you just know it.

In general this is one of the worst decisions that will be made for this game. Immersion is COMPLETLEY thrown out the window. At least for me. I can't speak for others, although my friend on SF who originally sent me the link pointed it out before I even saw it. RO is about IMMERSION. I am very surprised TWI did this. THe mkb which irked a lot of people I don't really care, even the leveling up I am not totally pissed by, but this is just stupid, I'm sorry. RO is ABOUT IMMERSION. When I play Ost, I feel like a Russian, or German soldier. Now that I'll be hearing them in english that is completley ruined. I REALLLLLY hope they change this, even though they probably won't because, well they just won't want to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have got to be kidding me right?... I can't even begin to explain how that is a bad idea. First off, authenticity - yeah it loses a lot of that. The feeling of being Russian or German is thrown out the window. Nice. Secondly the voice that I heard sucked for that matter. And for that matter when you give out a command it should come up in the chat box as English (LIKE Ostfront?!?!?! - wow. Amazing how the majority of what was done in that game is for the better). Not to mention few people REALLY use the voice commands to be constructive, other wise they usually type it or use a mic, so you might have gone with the truly realistic route for that matter anyway.
Personally I don't have a problem with it. Obviously it would be cool to hear my team speaking Russian, but from a realism and functional stand point, it doesn't make alot of sense. I don't speak Russian and neither do you. These guys out the field would obviously be able to understand eachother's languages, unless they were fighting in a mixed unit or something, which would be the exception rather than the rule.

As another has suggested, I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to swap the files for the voice commands you hear the enemy say for what you want your team to say when you are on it. John is suggesting that those voice commands DO exist in other languages -- it's just that I bet you're going to have to mod it manually yourself to have your teammates speak it.

It's not perfect -- I too would have liked the option for my teammates to speak their native language, but I do understand their reasoning. That said, I am a bit surprised the game is in alpha, given that release is two months away ... ;)

Reactions: teemu92
Upvote 0
2) I heard English?
- We had this debate internally. What is more realistic, understanding what the soldiers from your nation are saying, or not understanding what the guy on your side standing right next to you is saying? Well for us the answer was simple - it is way MORE realistic to understand what your comrades are saying. So you always hear your team speaking accented English (or another language if the game is localized into your native language) and the enemy speaks German or Russian. There will not be an option to turn this off, as we discovered it will take up too much memory to do this (there is a LOT of dynamic battle chatter, even in MP).

Thanks for the info, John. The only thing that saddens me, is the english part :(

Upvote 0
Personally I don't have a problem with it. Obviously it would be cool to hear my team speaking Russian, but from a realism and functional stand point, it doesn't make alot of sense. I don't speak Russian and neither do you. These guys out the field would obviously be able to understand eachother's languages, unless they were fighting in a mixed unit or something, which would be the exception rather than the rule.

As another has suggested, I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to swap the files for the voice commands you hear the enemy say for what you want your team to say when you are on it. John is suggesting that those voice commands DO exist in other languages -- it's just that I bet you're going to have to mod it manually yourself to have your teammates speak it.

It's not perfect -- I too would have liked the option for my teammates to speak their native language, but I do understand their reasoning. That said, I am a bit surprised the game is in alpha, given that release is two months away ... ;)

As said, it kills immersion. I don't feel like a russian or german or feel like im on the astern front when i hear english being called out. For functional, i see how "it would make more sense" but when was the last time the majority of people used voice commands in the way they were meant to? They are either never used, or just used to spam random ****. Not to mention you can see it in the chat box, AND after a little while you learn it anyway. So what we have here is being able to hear slightly useless things, whilst killing immersion. Yeah not such a good trade off, and apparently a good amount of people agree. Also... WHY MAKE IT AN OPTION AT ALL? Why not jsut have it set to russian/german if it so hard to make it to be able to switch?? And btw, Bad company 2 had the option to switch between native and english. just saying

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Btw Ramm. You said after internal debate you decided that the enlgish vices are more "realistic"? I hope what the community likes is of equal/more importance to you. Then HOPEFULLY you'd change the voice, although I really don't see that happening. Seriously, what is more important, what is more realistic, or what the majority of people feel?
Edit:Well taht was conveniant. I just got a message from a different person on my friends list who is complaining about the bullets missing and the english. The bullets missing I don't really care, but by now people know how I feel about the english voices
EDIT:I think the point of realism is being lost. The point of realism, is to MAKE YOU FEEL IMMERSED IN THE GAME, THROUGH IT BEING AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF WHAT ACTUALLY OCCURRED (aka realism). So you say it is more realistic to have them in English because you can understand them, but once that immersion effect is lost, realism is thrown out the window, because you no longer feel connected to the real life thing. So ocne again, gg. Damn it's almost too easy to put this idea down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Btw Ramm. You said after internal debate you decided that the enlgish vices are more "realistic"? I hope what the community likes is of equal/more importance to you. Then HOPEFULLY you'd change the voice, although I really don't see that happening. Seriously, what is more important, what is more realistic, or what the majority of people feel?
Edit:Well taht was conveniant. I just got a message from a different person on my friends list who is complaining about the bullets missing and the english. The bullets missing I don't really care, but by now people know how I feel about the english voices
EDIT:I think the point of realism is being lost. The point of realism, is to MAKE YOU FEEL IMMERSED IN THE GAME, THROUGH IT BEING AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF WHAT ACTUALLY OCCURRED (aka realism). So you say it is more realistic to have them in English because you can understand them, but once that immersion effect is lost, realism is thrown out the window, because you no longer feel connected to the real life thing. So ocne again, gg. Damn it's almost too easy to put this idea down.

I was going to agree with you about the immersion but now you are being a disrespectful prick so I'll just say that I agree it is more immersive to NOT be in english, but its not so important that it requires being an asshole.

Upvote 0
Of all the realism and authenticity issues in the game you guys are complaining that they are speaking in English? :rolleyes:

Overall I side with TWI. It is more realistic to be able to understand my fellow soldiers than having them speak a language I do not understand. But I am assuming they recorded Russian and German voices for those versions of the game anyways? If so it would be great if you could choose to use English or Russian and German.

Many other games do this such as LOMAC.

and who thought that was a good idea? *facepalm*

This. You would think in a game that strives to be "realistic" that the damage would be made realistic. Even in the "relaxed" mode... I recall TWI saying that the core gameplay would be the same.

Basically it looks like this is nothing but a UT3-like pseudo-singleplayer(aka matches against bots with some intro now and then). Why would I play SP if there are no soldiers to identify with, no red line carrying through it and basically just MP with bots? I'm not asking for a hollywood cod campaign or something, but this doesn't exactly look worth playing as you might just as well start playing MP right away.

Where you expecting more? This is essentially Terrorist Hunt in WWII. I remember that is what TWI compared it to a long time ago. I too would have like a more indepth SP that offered more than the same capture type mechanics as in the MP but I doubt they have the resources.

I would gladly pay for a proper SP campaign addon though. When I say proper campaign, I mean something like ArmA 1 and not CoD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3:14 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: Sup Kep
3:14 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: Can I get your opinion on something?
3:14 PM - Karsten Keppler: Hey!
3:15 PM - Karsten Keppler: And sure, shoot.
3:15 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: Ok, so RammJaeger (leader of TWI) posted this in the official RO2 forums.
3:15 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: 2) I heard English?
- We had this debate internally. What is more realistic, understanding what the soldiers from your nation are saying, or not understanding what the guy on your side standing right next to you is saying? Well for us the answer was simple - it is way MORE realistic to understand what your comrades are saying. So you always hear your team speaking accented English (or another language if the game is localized into your native language) and the enemy speaks German or Russian. There will not be an option to turn this off, as we discovered it will take up too much memory to do this (there is a LOT of dynamic battle chatter, even in MP).
3:15 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: What are your thoughts?
3:17 PM - Karsten Keppler: Give me a moment, sorry.
3:17 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: It's cool.
3:17 PM - Karsten Keppler: So from what I read
3:18 PM - Karsten Keppler: All of in game voice is going to be english?
3:18 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: Yup
3:18 PM - Karsten Keppler: lol
3:18 PM - Karsten Keppler: Man, I'm not buying RO2
3:18 PM - Karsten Keppler: I'm just not..
3:18 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: Really??
3:18 PM - Karsten Keppler: It's going to be a **** game
3:18 PM - Karsten Keppler: Yes
3:18 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: LOL
3:18 PM - Karsten Keppler: Are you kidding me/?
3:18 PM - Karsten Keppler: Like
3:19 PM - Karsten Keppler: It's not going to be good for realism
3:19 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: I don't like some of the stuff they ar doihng but I'm still gonna buy it.
3:19 PM - Karsten Keppler: I say I'm not going to, but obviously I'm going to
3:19 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: Yeah. A lot of people feel the same way, so hopefully TWI will change it, although I highly doubt they would care enough to.
3:21 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: Bw, do i hav epermission to copy n paste this convo in the ro forums? I'm trying to make a point, and i said several times that people on my steam friends said they don't like it, blah blah, and it would probably sound liek bs if i didn't show any proof to back that statement up. it's completley fine if you don't want me tp.
3:21 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: to*
3:22 PM - Karsten Keppler: Yeah it's cool
3:22 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: k
3:22 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: If you want I can take out the first part of your name and jsut keep keppler, in cae you are paranoid or something lol
3:22 PM - Karsten Keppler: No not at all
3:22 PM - Karsten Keppler: lol
3:23 PM - Shaquille Bro'Neal: k thanks

Edit: god damn right I'm Shaquille Bro'Neal... Btw i didn't edit the convo, because I'm sure there would be someone who would be like "WHAT CAME BEFORE THAT, or how do we know you didn't tell him to say that?". there you go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2) I heard English?
- We had this debate internally. What is more realistic, understanding what the soldiers from your nation are saying, or not understanding what the guy on your side standing right next to you is saying?

But... we could understand it with subtitles. ><

Anyway, I wouldn't complain if it was optional... why can't it be optional? taking too much memory? if the option is client-side, then my computer would load the original language instead of the English one, and it would be the same amount of memory. ><

Upvote 0
I watched the videos more and looked closer at the details.

Here are some of my complaints and suggestions:

1)The animations, especially the reloading animations look robotic and awkward to me still.

2) Check 19 seconds into the first video posted. When a message tells tells the player that an objective is being attacked, can you move the text to the top of the screen please? It its present location it is too close to the center of the screen and it blocks an important area of your vision. I find that the text is a bit big to.

3) Is there any other area to place the weapon resting icons and whatnot? I find it annoying when it covers up the weapon when looking down the sights.

4) Is there a way we can disable the "pick up weapon" text? Again, it covers too much of the players vision and is essentially in the center of the screen.

5) The "magazine is full" text should be removed IMO. Just make icons. Here is my suggestion:

- A small icon of a magazine that is fully filled in white = magazine is full.

- When the magazine icon only has the top half transparent (but with a white outline), it means the magazine feels light.

- When the magazine icon is fully transparent, it means the magazine feels empty/very light.

This covers less of your screen and gets the point across just as well.

6) Telling the player the time remaining until they bleed out. It is annoying... just leave it out. You don't have to know exactly how much time you have left until you die.

Upvote 0
But... we could understand it with subtitles. ><

Anyway, I wouldn't complain if it was optional... why can't it be optional? taking too much memory? if the option is client-side, then my computer would load the original language instead of the English one, and it would be the same amount of memory. ><

May we please have the original language + subtitles? You get comprehension, AND you get immersion, just like in RO:O. :)

Besides, after just four months of play you really start picking up the native language clips without looking.

I.e. (pardon approximations of phonetic spelling)
Nyet Stumach! Brashdelayananeshde! (No retreat!)
Fashich! (Grenade!)
Ygut Nyet! (No!)
Spasiba! (Thanks)
"Yesshuh" (Yes sir!)
Attakuya mabyen! (Attack x position!)

Achtung Shambeh Bambeh!
Vas au position!
Granaten!
Nein!
Jawohl!
Danke!
Achtung! Scharfschutzen!
Achtung Panzer!
Schiesse Russians!

All that recalled from memory in under 30 seconds. For the record, I've been playing RO:O for just four months.

I know you're busy, TWI, and I know these forums are rife with people yelling "change this! change that!" I know Red Orchestra is your game to create, not mine, but I sincerely think this makes your product, which you've spent so many years of hard work on, that much more polished than it already is. At least go back after release maybe and patch it in? Pretty please? :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I watched the videos more and looked closer at the details.

6) Telling the player the time remaining until they bleed out. It is annoying... just leave it out. You don't have to know exactly how much time you have left until you die.

Please read the thread, or at least watch the video again. It does not tell you the time you have left to live.

Upvote 0