• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thoughts on the "new" free weapons for Horzine Research Group

Breadsticks_

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2018
Having seen the three weapons and their new mechanics using used models. I thought perhaps someone has a different perspective on the matter. In my opinion, these weapons are pretty cool in their own right, especially the shotgun revolver and now the nail gun seeing more love. If they had their own assets, they would be an amazing set of weapons to add and a decent counter-balance to the controversial paid DLC weapons. With that considered, there'll technically be 5 weapons introduced this season if your willing to pay, ontop of Nuke OBJ rework and Ashwood Asylum map (likely OBJ)

I'll be honest - a lot of the weapons that TWI produces I don't really like. A lot of the time they're just a novelty item that I'll use once or twice then go back to the default ones. I do like the HZ12 though but otherwise nah. Eg. the Boom shotgun...big sound but nerfed to the point I only use the AA12/HZ12 combo. The Boom is really not worth it.

Upvote 0
My main gripe is definitely their appearance... It looks absolutely atrocious, not to mention how unoriginal it is to portray futuristic weaponry as all white with blue details. Hopefully you'll be able to use some skins on them.

This aside however, I definitely like what they're doing with them so far. I do think they will truly behave like new weapons which is obviously a good thing... Not to mention that we're talking about two perks that definitely need new stuff : the GS and the SWAT.

Upvote 0
It is certainly going in the right direction in regards of solving the paid DLC issues, I am more than happy to say they are new weapons, and the weapons of choice seem almost perfect to reuse, mainly the nail gun and freeze thrower for their lack of relevancy. What I would like to see happen with these weapons, is that because they are using existing models, they can either:
1)allow use of unlockable skins that exist on their older assets to move away from the neon colours if you want to
2)the new weapon skin (hopefully bundles) purchases you can make add a range of both futuristic and modern designs
3)Horzine Research Group Weapons have their own design, that look different to their
original counterparts and don't overdose on neon colours

Also, leave the futuristic designs to the field medic perk, I think it helps the perk stand out now that it has almost one of every weapon type now, not that I'm complaining, it gives them more diversity of playstyle and can help identify what weapons are field medic property

Upvote 0
Well, as I said, my main (and well...only) issue is precisely that I find the guns to be very bland-looking. I understand that it's a way to introduce new content without taking as much time and resources. But I think they could have done better. By creating a custom skin for example, that is only available to that weapon.

But other than that, I'm definitely excited for their gameplay! It seems that they will behave in a vastly different way than what we're used to, which is always a good thing.

Upvote 0
Hey, since you're tripwire staff. I'd like to ask, have you considered Biotic Labs as an Objective map? I think it would make for amazing story telling opportunities and the claustrophobic fighting would make for a fun and challenging game. Or better yet, Spillway, make a good excuse to re-introduce the KF1 trader

Upvote 0
Haven't tried them yet (game is still downloading), but what I've seen on YT videos starring them, they do seem quite interesting and aimed exactly at some unique details every class is lacking.
Buckshots with high ammo and low weight for a trash-cleaner sidearm for support
Healthrower for AoE easy-to-hit heals, not having to measure your grenades
Nailgun was...supposed to give penetration for the SWAT, but apparently it is just a pretty good weapon overall.

Recycled weapons with a new paint and different numbers? Yes. Tripwire can still give them unique skins later on? Yes.
But I'd rather have those than so many months without anything. 5 'weapons' on this update, more than others.

Upvote 0
The free weapons are a nice addition and, honestly, if the other new weapons were also included for free, this would be by far the best update, maybe even better than the update that added Endless. I much prefer taking a gameplay/design-focused weapon design philosophy over just adding cool weapons that serve basically the same function already, and it shows with how much of a stark contrast there is between the 2 DLC weapons (the Rhinos basically just being lower tier magnums and the Ion Thruster being a tier 5 Zweihander with a Firebug gimmick, even though it's not a firebug crossperk weapon) and the 3 HRG weapons -

• The automatic Nailgun offers a fun and distinct play experience thanks to nail projectiles and the ability to swap between single nail and triple nail, and SWAT has needed something to spice up its gameplay for a long time. While this isn't on the tier of a new weapon entirely, it's good enough for now, and a great addition to the perk.
  • The Buckshots also offer a fun and unique playstyle by giving Support a revolver that can be dual-wielded and has noticeable bullet bounce.
  • The healththrower is basically the Blower Thrower from KF1, and while I wanted the Blower thrower back purely because I really liked its visual design, and I'm not a big fan of pure support Field Medic, this definitely satisfies the need for Medic to have some of its own toys to play with.

I'm hoping this means we'll see an HRG M4 with scope as a separate Sharpshooter weapon just like KF1, but yeah, great additions all-around. It's a shame TWI chose this update to try and push in some money-making at the expense of core gameplay.

Also, still waiting on the HZ12 getting back its alt fire function of choosing between tight or wide spread.

Upvote 0
I had a good amount of time with the new HRG weapons, and I am really enjoying them. The nailgun is a very nice alternative to a number of mid-tier SMG's and can confidently challenge a number of Zeds. The Buckshot can make for a really unique loadout, I use it for trash killing over the AA-12 due to its weight, cost and ammo pool, I can combine this with any other support weapon (Level 25) and upgrading it isn't a bad option either. My personal favourite is the Healthrower in my opinion, that weapon has single handedly made me like using the hemogoblin because I can now go full bard build, offering minimal damage, but maximum buffs and effects. I now have the option to not go full damage medic like the Medic's AR and GR does. Following for next season, I would personally like to see the SWAT recieve a handgun just as the support has now seen a revolver, the m32 grenade launcher be given to the firebug to launch incendiary grenades, and obviously your option Nova for the M4 in the Sharpshooter's hands

Upvote 0
Weapon variant is good and all, not only this has been a concept suggested around the forum many times, half of the game's existing weapons would be thrown into the re-skin category had they not have their own fully-fledged presentation (model, sound, effects, etc); and the same concept applies on these actually re-skinned weapons in a more significantly perceived way given they functions/behaves differently.

It's just that they lack the corresponding presentation that's expected to be there to support and express their altered "identity". In other words, HRG weapons are giving you that feel that makes you think they are very shallow slash cheap slash low-effort... or "unpolished" even, I mean -- I can live with minimal visual change, but shouldn't SWAT's VLAD1000 nailgun at least sound less punchy (less like shotgun unlike its Berserker counterpart) with its rapid fire behavior?

That said, sound in particular really goes a long way.

Upvote 0