• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Gore System Questions Thread.

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
Opening this thread to give devs a chance to describe more in detail the gore system based on our questions in a less chaotic manner than having it all around the board.

I'll start with my questions.

Can specimens survive dismemberment? or will dismemberment be only triggered when the specimen receives fatal damage? Lets say, can a clot still move after having both of his arms cut off? or one leg?

Also, will small caliber rounds have a visual impact on the body, lets say I shoot a clot with one bullet in the chest with a pistol, will that leave a mark?

Lets say I do a horizontal cut with a katana to the neck of a fleshpound, will it just slice it, or will it depend on the health remaining? or will each body part have its own hidden health?

I'm totally cool with zeds dying when dismembered, but I hope there's a type of zed that manages to stay alive for a long time despite bits falling off of it.

Yeah, I kinda wanted to see them walk around with half a head missing, but even if they wont Im sure it will still be awesome. I mean, the reason KF1 was (or still is) so popular is the fact KILLING the specimens feels so SATISFYING :rolleyes:. The guns feel powerful, and the enemies react to them well. All of this, from what Ive read, has been improved a lot. I cant wait to sink my blade in the zeds.

Upvote 0
Can specimens survive dismemberment? or will dismemberment be only triggered when the specimen receives fatal damage? Lets say, can a clot still move after having both of his arms cut off? or one leg?

Also, will small caliber rounds have a visual impact on the body, lets say I shoot a clot with one bullet in the chest with a pistol, will that leave a mark?

Lets say I do a horizontal cut with a katana to the neck of a fleshpound, will it just slice it, or will it depend on the health remaining? or will each body part have its own hidden health?

Without giving anything away yet, I just had to quote the PCG article, "... as sick as possible".

Upvote 0
I'm guessing not. I'm guessing they were trying to reduce the CPU usage when they created 95 death animations for each zed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it would be less stressful on the GPU to display a ton of animations than displaying dozens of ragdolls reacting to physics.

The way I figure it, it's Animations up until the point the dead body ragdolls. Ala RO2 heartshots, L4D series etc.

Upvote 0
I'm just gonna repost a post from me to start a discussion about it.

So, the PCG article had 2 quotes that caught my eye instantly.

"We were really inspired by Soldier of Fortune, the GHOUL system. We wanted to outdo Soldier of Fortune's gore."

"[...] Each zed in KF2 features 19 points of dismemberment. [...]"

According to the GHOUL demonstration video, the models of SoF2 had 20 breaking points and 31 individual pieces including the brain. (if I'm not mistaken)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7fsY33L6Y
(Sorry, I have no idea how to add YT videos)

ghoul.jpg

SoF2's gore was already pretty sophisticated.
I wonder how exactly they are going to pull off an even better looking system without any more dismemberment points. :confused:

Maybe there's gonna be different layers like skin - muscle - bone.

Also I hope we might see some diagonal cuts (shoulder to opposite waist) and other uncommon dismemberment.
clean decapitations and straight vertical/horizontal splits always look 'unnatural' and forced due to easier development process.

A really sophisticated gore system to todays standards should feature unexpected behavior to be satisfying/shocking. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
When KF1 was first released, you could cut off arms or a leg from a zed and it'd still fight with respective handicaps.
They patched it out, though.

If they did it back then, I'm sure they'd be capable of doing better now, if they wanted. And that would be the "as sick as possible" choice.

Upvote 0
It would be cool if players would be able to cut off Scrake's arm and take his chainsaw.

Cutting off his chainsaw arm would be OK, but being able to use it not, unless it would either wear out and break after a while and you wouldnt be able to sell it. Otherwise youd have 50 chainsaws lying around on the floor after a while, as a money source.

Or maybe if the drop was random and it weighted more than the original you buy from the shop so id could be used as a last resort weapon but it wouldnt break any balance.

Upvote 0
Yes, this would be sick. E.g. shooting off legs and the zeds keep attacking you crawling on their arms.
Hehe, imagine a raged FP crawling on the floor at top speed. :D

hahahaha i like the sound of that. Especially with the bloodstains becoming permanent according to the article about the new gore system, leaving happy trails behind in their wake while they crawl :D

anyway, I think it would really add to the satisfaction of killing zeds if it were possible to dismember them without killing them immediatly. And reading the articles released about the new system KF2 will be using, i think it may actually be part of the game. It certainly would add to the "as sick as possible" feel of the game.

Upvote 0