• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Gold Box. Steamworkshop. KF2.

-[badger]-

Dec 11, 2010
Now. it may not be apparent to most people who have been grumbling about the Ash harding and the Gold box that this is a strategic move that may be locked in some contractual obligation with publishers(including Valve).

Ive looked at this and this is what I can come up with. Iceberg did everything, the only way to compensate them for their work was for tripwire, as the pub, to release it as a exclusive boxed edition on their own store so they can control the flow of cash directly. The deal with Steam(valve) is as tripwire the dev and steam the pub and somewhere in their contract they cant add another subsidiary to forward the most remuneration to Iceberg for this character pack. (same reason origin games got pulled back on origins launch but not as devious as EA's reasons). If anyone complains more about this, well there might not be anything for them to do at the moment.

I have a few Ideas though.

1. set up Steam workshop for KF. this would allow for weapons pack and character models to be highlighted in steam and would foster more growth. with it, the publishing agreement would be altered to allow for community members to receive compensation for their work through steam. Tripwire may get less of a cut but this will appease the over 1 million fans of KF already.

2. there has to be some way that you can handle selling the character pack, developed by iceberg, published by tripwire and delivered by steam. jowood and dreamcatcher have been doing it with PK releases. This might be more legal again(unless you there is some accounting cost that we are unaware of).

3. Just make KF2 on UE3 with the character as a cross game promo, like RO2 or the Ball. that Way the die hards who buy it on release will get the character and will use it in KF1 with their cheap/poor friends.

ps. im not buying the gold box as over half my friends have KF, about 10% have played more than 10 hours, and I think it would be a waste just for one character. I think total sale for the gold box will be 0.5% - 2.5% of existing sales sold. Steam has done much for the game, for tripwire and is a big part of bringing the community together. it sad to see that the character isnt available on steam.

You really don't know? You must be kidding me... :eek:

Why don't you stop being the most useless poster on these boards already and at least have the courtesy to answer his question?

RO_Sauce, take a look in the Announcements section of the KF forums and you'll see (latest thread there). Iceberg are Tripwire's publisher for retail versions of Killing Floor in stores and the "Gold" box is there idea.

Reactions: Spicy
Upvote 0