• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map The Dark Zone (Q1DM6 ScrN Redux)

poosh

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2011
DarkZone01.png

DarkZone02.png

Story
Who cares about this crap anyway?..
Horzine possessed Slipgate technology and used it for teleporting into other dimension and built their lab there next to some kind of ancient cave. During the Outbreak specimens made their way though the Slipgate, where they defeated Quake monsters. Shub-Niggurath was eaten by some stinky clots. You and other Survivors accidentally activated Slipgate teleporter and moved into the Quake world. There is no escape! (*cough*cough* because crazy Level Designer put a Blocking Volume between you and the Slipgate) You are trapped inside another dimension for the eternity. But at least you can do what you love the best: fighting the specimens!

DarkZone03.png

Overview
This is a remake of one of my favorite Quake 1 maps: DM6 - The Dark Zone. It isn't a complete replica. First, because we are playing zombie survival, not a deathmatch. Second, needed to get rid of teleporters. Third, and the most important, zeds can't do rocket-jumps :p
So I ended up with Horzine Lab built next to some ancient cave. Sounds like a nice place to kill some zeds floor, huh?

DarkZone04.png

Features
  • The map has been shown at E3'2015.
  • Remake of map that was very popular almost 20 years ago.
  • Each area has multiple exits. For example central area ("OctaRoom") has 5 exits and 7 entrances. Camping is hard, but kiting is not easier, because:
  • ZED shortcut paths. While you can run around the area, zeds behind you can just use a shortcut and face you again. Tripwire's teleporting zeds worsens the effect of this feature. But when you are running away from raged Scrake and meet him around a corner, then it doesn't necessary mean that he was teleported. Maybe he used a shortcut.
  • Descent visuals. I tired of ugly custom maps that have flooded this forums. So I spent a lot of time to make my map looking like a modern game not just some kind of Wolfenstein3D-like maze.
  • DOPEFISH LIVES!

DarkZone05.png

Screenshots
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Throwing it on my server now...

Edit: You should capitalize the KF- prefix in the future, as that's what the stock examples do. When I added it to my KFGame ini it screwed things up due to it being lowercase, and only worked once I did capitalize it in the ini anyway.

Anyway it's in the rotation at 71.82.21.25:7777

Last edited:
Upvote 0
KF-DarkZoneGH
GrindHouse edition

Now available on ModDB:
http://www.moddb.com/games/killing-floor-2/addons/kf-darkzonegh

Differences from the original version (KF-DarkZone):
  • Dynamic Torch Lights. Torches now can be extinguished by Siren Scream or explosions. But you can light them up again with fire or bullets. You may ask Husk to "help" you as well. I'm not sure if fired 9mm bullet is hot enough to set torch on fire in real life. But game requires that for balance purposes.
  • Enhanced textures and lighting of multiple areas.
  • Removed references to other games. All but Dopefish! But I hope that Dopefish reference shouldn't cause any copyright issues.
  • Added new cell door on upper floor. Adjusted door health (strength). Cell doors now are weaker, but you can shoot throug hthem. Horzine Lab doors made stronger.
  • Dosh bling!

Upvote 0