• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Brute :: Final Release

I have played with the brute and I really like the fact that you've had some goals with it's behavior. It feels genuine, is the only community zed that I've sen that fits KF and so on....

But I really didn't like the funky animations that looked like he was walking in super speed instead of actually running and didn't fit with the upper body.

I find the Brute amazing too, though the running animation looks awkward to me as well. If he really is going to be updated regarding animations and such it will be a god-sent! Concerning gameplay, i find him fine as he is, the "we have to kill him before he rushes in" feeling that he gives is exactly as it should be and makes him a priority distance target like the other stronger specimens.

Reactions: Benjamin
Upvote 0
I haven't gotten the chance to play with the brute that much yet but here we go.....
So please, pleaaseee, don't post another "Make it have a disability for zerks to exploit" post, because that just disgusts me. Why do you want to play a game like that anyways? Its just one long kite-fest of boredom :(

For what I read, you want this to be easier to kill for berserkers...why does everyone want to overkill the berserker? :S I had someone have ago at me for not giving my berserker more spawns, more attack speed and more bonuses to make it "balanced" more...so I capped a load to keep berserker in check. This is a co-operative game and not a solo game, please remember that.

If you actually read my post properly then you would have seen that I want it possible but not easy. I do not want him to get easy for zerkers, I think scrakes and FPs are too easy as they are already. The purpose of the brute is to be a challenge.

What you fail to see is that a lvl 0 any perk can solo anything on 6p HoE without taking damage with their weakest perk weapon given a _really_ long distance, except for berserk that needs their high lvl speed to do that. I want berserk to have that _small_ possibility too, because their purpose is to avoid attacks with their running speed, not attack the zeds after you get in their range and let them hit you.

Giving the brute 100% chance to land a hit on you makes this a game of luck instead of skill (when and how many brutes spawns shouldn't be the only factor in the game, skill and cooperation should matter). If it is possible but very hard to solo him as berserk then it becomes a game of skill and cooperation.
____Why did I say "cooperation" in the same sentence as "solo as berserk"?
I think that if their first hit missed then they would turn around slower would make them different from Scrakes (chain stun with head blows) and FPs (Time backstep to avoid attacks and dont DPS them too much to avoid rage). It would also be harder since it forces the zerk to move to a fixed posistion to attack, behind the brute where there will usually be a bunch of weaker zeds.
Because if you try to solo him when he has a party but not you then you will be killed by his party. Standing still as a berserk will kill you very fast, and if killing a brute involves standing still (behind him which is worse than in front because the gorefasts are ready behind him) then you NEED a party to depend on that kills the other zeds.
Killing a scrake is about the same thing at first look, but the outcome is completely different.

For both of these zeds the setting is 1 brute and tons of zeds behind it. It will like this you usually will meet them, both while camping and kiting. So what do you do? (HoE or Suic)
Scrake killing as zerk:
1) You can stun him from the front and the other zeds that come with him will be behind him, rendered useless.
2) If the other zeds run around him you can just calmly kill them when they arrive because the scrake is completely disabled while being stunned.
3) Since you are in front of him you will be able to retreat at any time, and the stun will prevent him from following you.
4) When he snaps out of stun he can be stunned again with a hit while he is raging towards you if you time your hit attacks.
5) If you stun him in a tight passage/door you it's as good as welded shut and your team has 3 seconds to reload.

Killing brute with the turning disabling attacks instead of stuns:
(You haven't yet understood what "standing behind in a fixed position" actually will mean for a berserk)
1) Possible to stun/flinch once or avoid his first attack. The stun/flinch/avoid causes him to turn around slightly slower so a fast zerk can get behind the brute. Backstabs prevents him from turning for 0.5 sec or something (possible to make it so that only primary knife/machete attacks are fast enough to prevent him completely from turning which will make the killing sloooow).
2) While the zerk is behind the brute the brute can obviously not attack the player. But if the zerk stops attacking the brute the brute will regain his turning speed and slam that zerk far away. You should note that the brute is between the team and the zerk since the zerk ran around him to backstab him. A throw by the brute will place the zerk even further away from the team and place him in the middle of the big zed crowd that he was followed by. A player standing in front of the brute is usually thrown to a safe location behind the team, like this a throw means danger for zerks because of their forced killing position and inability to move.
3) Because of 2^ the zerk is stuck attacking the brute with it's back turned towards a zed crowd he can not avoid.
4) His escape path is blocked by a brute. A stunned scrake in a door will prevent the zed crowd from entering the safe area while a brute will force the zerk to be blocked away from the safe area.
5) Since the brute is turned away from the zerk he will be facing the team and since he ISN'T STUNNED by the zerk, only prevented from turning ha can protect his face with his steel arms (and the team will be in front of him so the arms will actually help the brute in that position).
6) Not only for the protection, but the brute can also walk towards the team since the zerk isn't protecting his team with his body. The brutes path is cleared and he is free to attack anyone in front of him.
7) Kiting means running backwards and attacking the following zeds, which is prevented completely like this.

The end result is that only if the brute is completely alone this "no damage"-tactic is safe. The brute coupled with a few other zeds makes this tactic worse than tanking hits from the brute. Think about all the times you've been in the middle of a zed crowd and you know the survival rate of this "no damage" tactic....... seriously this will not nerf him.

This tactic will also work if the zerk gets help with killing the brute and the zed crowd ;) That's some coop right there!

Reactions: poosh and Benjamin
Upvote 0
I have played with the brute and I really like the fact that you've had some goals with it's behavior. It feels genuine, is the only community zed that I've sen that fits KF and so on....

Also my requirment for KF official status approval is a way for zerkers<3 to be able to solo them without taking damage. It doesn't have to be easy (preferably hard, that's even better) but theoretically any other perk has the ability since they are ranged, only fair. If you can stun them with a well timed headblow/get behind them (solo)/avoid attacks/anything else to solo them then I'm satisfied :D
I think that if their first hit missed then they would turn around slower would make them different from Scrakes (chain stun with head blows) and FPs (Time backstep to avoid attacks and dont DPS them too much to avoid rage). It would also be harder since it forces the zerk to move to a fixed posistion to attack, behind the brute where there will usually be a bunch of weaker zeds.

Mate you say right there how you want the berzerker to be able to NOT get hit by it at all. You want to make a stun for the beserker...please explain how you aren't trying to overkill the berserker for another addon for KF? I know I seem quite harsh on this but im getting annoyed with how many people want to try overkill the Berserker perk more then it is. It can solo absolutely everything in the game already with a 6 man team...please stop trying to make it easier for him.

P.S. Since when was level 0's ment to have an advantage on HoE? It's made for level 6's and ONLY level 6's (before anyone comments, it's made for level 6's but doesn't mean other levels can't play well).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The other perks cannot solo everything. Thats hilarious. A lvl 6 commando can't do jack to a fleshpound, even on mountain pass with its crazy distances. For Sharpie, thats his job, to solo everything, but he can't take out as many zeds. Support could potentially solo everything, if its 10 ft from him, but husks especially are a pain. Demo has crazy relaods, cant shoot close to himself, and scrakes have explosive resistance. Medic... Well, obviously he's got troubles all over.

Essentially, the zerker has exploitable stuff in every zed. with an LAR he doesn't have to worry about husks or sirens much, and he can kite a FP and stun a scrake. bloats can take a 9mm or lar to the head and they're done. GF and Clots are a breeze, same with stalkers. The crawler can be shot until you time it right, then they're no harder.

Its just an easy class to play. Period. and it has no real ammo constraints, takes less damage, kites easily, ect. Consistantly OP.

Reactions: Gartley
Upvote 0
Ive been playing with my bastard child (that sounds wrong yes), for a long time now and I think its near perfection besides a few cosmetic changes. It brings back "fear" into the game even when your level 6. The zerker is OP anyway, so him beeing bothered by it is only a good thing.

I hate the brute, and thats only a good thing to me. He's a challenge for sure, but not indestructible. Qon, your statement is based on solo play...which isnt what killing floor is about. We wanted people to think about the decisions they make early in the game...the zerker and sharpy beeing the main goal to nerf with the Brute. :)

Upvote 0
Mate you say right there how you want the berzerker to be able to NOT get hit by it at all. You want to make a stun for the beserker...please explain how you aren't trying to overkill the berserker for another addon for KF? I know I seem quite harsh on this but im getting annoyed with how many people want to try overkill the Berserker perk more then it is. It can solo absolutely everything in the game already with a 6 man team...please stop trying to make it easier for him.
Did you read my previous post? The way I suggested depended on the brute being completely alone (like last zed) OR the berserk needed a team to support him, it would not work to kite or camp him alone as a zerk.
Again, for the 5th time, I want highly skilled players to get a small chance at defeating him alone zerk vs brute in special conditions that rarely occur with no other zeds to bother with. It will PROMOTE teamplay, will not be easy because it will basically render the zerk useless against the rest of the crowd for a long time. It isn't as easy as you think it is because if it is then they can make the timing and precision needed even harder to get down. You are dead if you try to do this alone against a brute and a GF is close. Since the brute won't be stunned he will still be able to move further and the zerk will have to follow. Just reread my list...

IT SHOULD BE HARDER TO SOLO BRUTE THAN IT IS TO READ MY WALL OF TEXT.

My suggestion was a way that wasn't just easy chainstuns and kiting, it was a suggestion to make it harder.

And I didn't want a "berserk stun". I wanted a turning slow down for backstabs, and if zerk can stun him then everyone should be able to if they fulfill the damage and hit zone criteria. Do you know how hard it is to backstab zeds? It's usually impossible, because they turn faster than you can run around them, even when a zed is stunned they turn around. Well I've seen fangs vid where he "circle stuns" a scrake that is rather cool, might test that on brute. Too bad brute isn't playable on kf-testmap6p.

P.S. Since when was level 0's ment to have an advantage on HoE? It's made for level 6's and ONLY level 6's (before anyone comments, it's made for level 6's but doesn't mean other levels can't play well).
halbridious said:
The other perks cannot solo everything. Thats hilarious. A lvl 6 commando can't do jack to a fleshpound, even on mountain pass with its crazy distances.
Haven't played commando, still lvl 2. Haven't understood the fun in it and prefer firebug.
Well if commando lvl 6 can solo HoE6p scrakes with ak+scar without reloading/taking damage easily on medium distance then I think FPs are possible on open maps like mountain pass.
Lvl 0, maybe not. Sorry, maybe I exaggerated a bit.
halbridious said:
For Sharpie, thats his job, to solo everything, but he can't take out as many zeds. Support could potentially solo everything, if its 10 ft from him, but husks especially are a pain. Demo has crazy relaods, cant shoot close to himself, and scrakes have explosive resistance. Medic... Well, obviously he's got troubles all over.

Essentially, the zerker has exploitable stuff in every zed. with an LAR he doesn't have to worry about husks or sirens much, and he can kite a FP and stun a scrake. bloats can take a 9mm or lar to the head and they're done. GF and Clots are a breeze, same with stalkers. The crawler can be shot until you time it right, then they're no harder.
What you call "exploitable stuff" is the only way for a zerk to stay alive: by moving contantly to avoid attacks. Exploits are things that shouldn't be allowed. By refering to staying alive as "exploitable" then shooting stuff from a distance as sharpie is "exploiting" the distance advantage also? You have a 100% melee attack protection from your attack range when you aren't zerk, that's not fair? If you think that sound like madness then you know how I feel when you think about zerks as cheaters when they avoid attacks. You think about zerks as tanking chainsawfreaks when the fun and skill requiring way is to be an agile swordmaster. Calling it exploits is just plain bad if you consider the goal (survive) and means (a katana) of the game.
Spoiler!

halbridious said:
Its just an easy class to play. Period. and it has no real ammo constraints, takes less damage, kites easily, ect. Consistantly OP.
Well if you think so then fine. But you deserve something for daring to go into close combat with them, right? I would prefer more running speed and less damage protection for fun :) Damage protection doesn't require any skill at all to use. And I seldom kite quz I get bored of running away so I can't say much about that.

Upvote 0
Not a double post, you post came after my post but I started mine before you ;)
And edit button bugged :Q

Hemi, if you wont change him then it's your choice, i'll have to mod him myself q:
But It wouldn't make the berserk able to block its path with stuns, only tamper with its targeting. He could still ram through the team even if the qlinging zerk behind is slashing at his feet with a knife for turning nerfing. It would create another kind of teamwork.

Maybe for another, stronger zed some of my ideas could be implemented? Something that requires at least 4 different perks to kill it, I donnu just another random idea that wont make it xD

Upvote 0
Whitelist this, hope I see on many servers :D

It IS Whitelisted already, any changes would make it unwhitelisted :(

It's my second fav custom Zed behind The Shiver, the Brute is the perfect Zed to promote teamplay, although Sharpie and Zerkers are individually weak against Brutes, as a team, they are probably the most effective to take one down quick, zerk to distract, sharpie to wait and headshot once its .turned

Upvote 0
It IS Whitelisted already, any changes would make it unwhitelisted :(
[url]http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/5320610/img/Anonymous/brute-go.jpg[/URL]
This is what I want! This is what I want whitelisted as soon as it is released! This is what I was speaking about when I said how perfect it was. I really don't like the current whitelisted animations and textures. It is even my desktop piqture now q:
The Maul? =D
Describe his behaviour? Seen pics but haven't heard anything about him or played with him.

Upvote 0
Did you read my previous post? The way I suggested depended on the brute being completely alone (like last zed) OR the berserk needed a team to support him, it would not work to kite or camp him alone as a zerk.
Again, for the 5th time, I want highly skilled players to get a small chance at defeating him alone zerk vs brute in special conditions that rarely occur with no other zeds to bother with. It will PROMOTE teamplay, will not be easy because it will basically render the zerk useless against the rest of the crowd for a long time. It isn't as easy as you think it is because if it is then they can make the timing and precision needed even harder to get down. You are dead if you try to do this alone against a brute and a GF is close. Since the brute won't be stunned he will still be able to move further and the zerk will have to follow. Just reread my list...

IT SHOULD BE HARDER TO SOLO BRUTE THAN IT IS TO READ MY WALL OF TEXT.

My suggestion was a way that wasn't just easy chainstuns and kiting, it was a suggestion to make it harder.

And I didn't want a "berserk stun". I wanted a turning slow down for backstabs, and if zerk can stun him then everyone should be able to if they fulfill the damage and hit zone criteria. Do you know how hard it is to backstab zeds? It's usually impossible, because they turn faster than you can run around them, even when a zed is stunned they turn around. Well I've seen fangs vid where he "circle stuns" a scrake that is rather cool, might test that on brute. Too bad brute isn't playable on kf-testmap6p.

Haven't played commando, still lvl 2. Haven't understood the fun in it and prefer firebug.
Well if commando lvl 6 can solo HoE6p scrakes with ak+scar without reloading/taking damage easily on medium distance then I think FPs are possible on open maps like mountain pass.
Lvl 0, maybe not. Sorry, maybe I exaggerated a bit.

What you call "exploitable stuff" is the only way for a zerk to stay alive: by moving contantly to avoid attacks. Exploits are things that shouldn't be allowed. By refering to staying alive as "exploitable" then shooting stuff from a distance as sharpie is "exploiting" the distance advantage also? You have a 100% melee attack protection from your attack range when you aren't zerk, that's not fair? If you think that sound like madness then you know how I feel when you think about zerks as cheaters when they avoid attacks. You think about zerks as tanking chainsawfreaks when the fun and skill requiring way is to be an agile swordmaster. Calling it exploits is just plain bad if you consider the goal (survive) and means (a katana) of the game.
Spoiler!

Well if you think so then fine. But you deserve something for daring to go into close combat with them, right? I would prefer more running speed and less damage protection for fun :) Damage protection doesn't require any skill at all to use. And I seldom kite quz I get bored of running away so I can't say much about that.
Right im ending this argument as you're obviously not getting what three of us have stated (me, halb and hemi). Making this easier will make the Berserker more powerful end of. Stop trying to make an argument out of it when we obviously can tell you're just a player who loves his berserker so much that you want to make it easier for yourself, not the team, yourself. No more messages back please and lets get back to how this post should be?

The Maul is still in alpha for what i've read and he's a BEAST! I've read somewhere there is more ideas to be tested on him that someone thought of (forgot the name). It's going to be awesome ;)

Upvote 0
oh so it is unlikely to see the maul against us sometime in the future :(
On topic, if this http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/5320610/img/Anonymous/brute-go.jpg is a future Brute update i ll be playing Killing Floor that much that they will be searching for me for days :D . New running animations would be the icing on the cake but as already stated i agree that his gameplay is fine as it is and that is why he is whitelisted

Upvote 0
Right im ending this argument as you're obviously not getting what three of us have stated (me, halb and hemi). Making this easier will make the Berserker more powerful end of. Stop trying to make an argument out of it when we obviously can tell you're just a player who loves his berserker so much that you want to make it easier for yourself, not the team, yourself. No more messages back please and lets get back to how this post should be?
You didn't read my post. I've already given up on making Hemi change it and ended the discussion.

And you bring it up again.

Qon said:
Hemi, if you wont change him then it's your choice, i'll have to mod him myself q:
So here I clearly state that I'm ok with the way he is and that if I want to try how he would be with my suggestions in effect then I have to to it by myself for myself.

YES I love berserk!
NO I don't want it to get easier!
You do not understand the implications of the "weakness" I suggested. But to sum it up: You will die if you try it alone, and tanking hits from the brute is safer. So it's not easier.

And anyways a tactic just need 1 variable change in a zed to go from useful to useless when applying it. Let's say FP raged at 1 dmg/2 sec period instead of 360. Try solo him as zerk with a knife like that, HoE6p. My point is my balancing methods was lost due to your blindness when seeing someone making suggestions that seemed to favor zerk. The full list is still there.

Upvote 0
And anyways a tactic just need 1 variable change in a zed to go from useful to useless when applying it. Let's say FP raged at 1 dmg/2 sec period instead of 360. Try solo him as zerk with a knife like that, HoE6p. My point is my balancing methods was lost due to your blindness when seeing someone making suggestions that seemed to favor zerk. The full list is still there.

Why change it so a Zerk can do the above? we already have the FP that a zerk can kite around a map.

Reactions: FluX
Upvote 0
Why change it so a Zerk can do the above? we already have the FP that a zerk can kite around a map.
Thank you, someone showing that what he said made no sense lol. "Make it easier for the zerker" and then "I never said make it easier for zerker". I did stop the arguement and told you to NOT post anymore and you still did lol.

Upvote 0
Its a mod fellas. The team decided that the shapshooters and zerkers would be the victims of the Brute, preventing a great deal of camping..where the Brute bursts into a group of players. In the end its our decision to make, just like TWI stands by some of its adjustments to the game. And its also your decision to ignore the mod and not play it.

Your welcome to make adjustments as long as you rename your mod and not cause any harm to the official release.

Last words : The team made this decision and we stand by it. (and in the end the zerker proved to be slightly OP, and sharpies could use a challenge)

Upvote 0
Its a mod fellas. The team decided that the shapshooters and zerkers would be the victims of the Brute, preventing a great deal of camping..where the Brute bursts into a group of players. In the end its our decision to make, just like TWI stands by some of its adjustments to the game. And its also your decision to ignore the mod and not play it.

Your welcome to make adjustments as long as you rename your mod and not cause any harm to the official release.

Last words : The team made this decision and we stand by it. (and in the end the zerker proved to be slightly OP, and sharpies could use a challenge)

This ;)

Upvote 0
Thank you, someone showing that what he said made no sense lol. "Make it easier for the zerker" and then "I never said make it easier for zerker". I did stop the arguement and told you to NOT post anymore and you still did lol.
I never said make it "easier for zerk". Now you are using lies in your argument...
You can't tell me to not post here. It's not your forum. Don't be so aggressive.

To all you nice modders who make this wonderful zed:
I'm trying to help. I'm trying to make him very different from FP and scrake killing. And hard. But, as I've said: It is YOUR zed and I understand if you are conservative about changes simply because my idea doesn't fit into the exact same role as the one you thought about while creating him. The changes were just too big, and the implications would make him into another zed. Ultimately incorporating my suggestions might have made him a bit less of "your own" zed.

I again declare all my suggestions null/void/false.
I understand that I can not prove his behavior to be hard for zerk without showing you, and that the suggestions might fit a completely different zed more.

And I will enjoy your brute the way he is also. He is fantastic anyway. I will not "ignore the mod and not play it". Why would I? I like him, like I said in my first post.

Yes my posts were long and if you didn't comprehend I don't blame you. I can only blame myself for being unclear. Actually no one seems to understand me so it must be my fault. I have to get better at explaining :Q
And I can understand if you think my first posts had a tone of "make it easier" in it. Unintentionally. It wasn't what I meant to say. I tried to show what I really meant in my other posts but I didn't get my point through.
Sorry.

I never meant to nerf him or irritate any of you, and hope that we can still be friends ;)
I understood your purpose with the brute from the beginning, but I understand it even better now. Though my suggestions weren't meant to alter his rate of success to reach those goals.

I have learned something from this thread anyway, and will apply those lessons when making suggestions for the shiver. You aren't rid of me yet :D
You are such a good source of inspiration you can't blame people from getting ideas.

Reactions: poosh and FluX
Upvote 0