• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lonestarranger

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2011
i have never played Arma, but came across this video. Talk about teamwork: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBEop9ETDko]ARMA 2 (CO) Invasion 1944 v2.6 - Brecourt and Strongpoint Morris - YouTube[/URL]

Going to buy the game and get this mod and check it out, appears very realistic. Want to compare the command and control features of that game to RO2. Perhaps this was a clan that was operating like a real unit, i wonder if the normal public servers play this way?

But man, if we could get command and control features in RO2 to allow this kind of unit operations, would be fantastic

Perhaps this was a clan that was operating like a real unit, i wonder if the normal public servers play this way?
It was a clan, yes. And ArmA doesn't really have a big pick-up gamer population because the game itself is so complicated that you basically need to join up with a bunch of other people to be able to do it right. Works better than way anyway.

Mmmmmmmm, that is delicious sound design. Nice deep booms, rumbles, screen shaking when a grenade explodes. That's what I want in RO2! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love arma, i still play it frequently.

The combined arms battles are a rush. Playing as a cobra pilot and having your friend be the gunner as you provide CAS for the troops on the ground is exhilarating.

Especially when you have direct coms with the unit, and their marking targets for you.

one of my favorite games. the teamwork in that game is unrivaled and unmatched; because if you dont work togehter, you die...simple as that.

Upvote 0
Map

Map

Did you notice the mission with the jeeps. Apparently the enemy can set up anywhere along the route and the attacker does not know. Now that is more realistic. than the attacker always knowing where the enemy has set his defense.

Here is info on the mod and the link:

[url]http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=117585[/URL]

Invasion 1944 is a historically accurate World War Two total conversion mod for ARMA 2: Combined Operations(ARMA2 + Arrowhead) centering on the European theater.

-Content-

Here's a brief summary of what's included check the classlist.txt for a full list of units objects weapons and ammunition:

Soldiers
United States - 1st & 29th Infantry Division, 5th Ranger Battalion, 82nd & 101st Parachute Infantry Regiment.
United Kingdom - 6th Airborne Division, British Commandos.
Germany - Heer, Heer-Camoflagued, Fallschirmj

Upvote 0
Did you notice the mission with the jeeps. Apparently the enemy can set up anywhere along the route and the attacker does not know. Now that is more realistic. than the attacker always knowing where the enemy has set his defense.
Here's the thing I wanna know: RO2 has randomly-placed HMGs, which means they have the technology to randomly place objects within a map.

Why didn't TWI exploit this even further? Why don't any developers exploit this? Imagine an urban map where the only things that are static within the level are the outer walls of large buildings, and the positions of the cap zones. Beyond that, everything is randomised. The size and position of internal walls, the furniture inside buildings, the debris strewn around outside. THAT is a map where teamwork is supremely important, since no one knows what's around the next corner. And that's a map that will last for a very long time.

Upvote 0
Here's the thing I wanna know: RO2 has randomly-placed HMGs, which means they have the technology to randomly place objects within a map.

Why didn't TWI exploit this even further? Why don't any developers exploit this? Imagine an urban map where the only things that are static within the level are the outer walls of large buildings, and the positions of the cap zones. Beyond that, everything is randomised. The size and position of internal walls, the furniture inside buildings, the debris strewn around outside. THAT is a map where teamwork is supremely important, since no one knows what's around the next corner. And that's a map that will last for a very long time.

The problem with going too far with that is the issue of how much is 'pre-baked' in the map to save on load times and runtime processing. It is something I'm planning on experimenting with later this winter if I get a chance. I have no idea how far you can push the engine to do something like that.

Upvote 0
The problem with going too far with that is the issue of how much is 'pre-baked' in the map to save on load times and runtime processing. It is something I'm planning on experimenting with later this winter if I get a chance. I have no idea how far you can push the engine to do something like that.
So far it looks like it's only random placement and facing of a specified object (HMG position and direction of deployment), except that the object changes between maps; sometimes it's the tripod-mounted one, and sometimes it's the little Maxim. The fact that the Maxim sits on top of something points to two possible methods: that you can either replace part of the terrain (a wall with an MG on top of it vs a wall without), or you can use the randomisation feature to put objects on top of other objects.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Upvote 0
ArmA 2 is a great game, you don't need that good of a rig to play it, but it won't be so pretty. The best thing about ArmA is you can do so much, you can have huge battles vs AI, vs humans, you can go all grognard, or I just played CTF on smaller custom maps, 1 life. Also if you just play CTF you do not have to learn any more controls than you normally would for any FPS.

ArmA controls

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/2xnkote/arma2controls2vh3.jpg

also
Imagine an urban map where the only things that are static within the level are the outer walls of large buildings, and the positions of the cap zones. Beyond that, everything is randomised. The size and position of internal walls, the furniture inside buildings, the debris strewn around outside.

That would be the best thing ever :D

Upvote 0
That would be the best thing ever :D
I'm gonna call it right now, you guys: in the very near future (I'm talking four or five years), the next big thing in online multiplayer FPS will be procedurally generated maps. You'll basically tell the server, I want an urban level with narrow streets, houses that are all working-class and single-storey, with n amount of grassy open space and three capzones. The server will come up with a seed, it will send the seed to all the players, and the map will be built on the players' machines. If you like the map that was generated, you simply save the seed. If you wanna edit the level you can either edit the seed in a text editor, or stick it into the SDK and fiddle with it there.

Upvote 0
I'm gonna call it right now, you guys: in the very near future (I'm talking four or five years), the next big thing in online multiplayer FPS will be procedurally generated maps. You'll basically tell the server, I want an urban level with narrow streets, houses that are all working-class and single-storey, with n amount of grassy open space and three capzones. The server will come up with a seed, it will send the seed to all the players, and the map will be built on the players' machines. If you like the map that was generated, you simply save the seed. If you wanna edit the level you can either edit the seed in a text editor, or stick it into the SDK and fiddle with it there.

i was thinking about this a while ago actually, it would be cool to have procedurally generated maps. Here is a more simpiler way to go about a pseudo-random map:

divide the map into say a 5 x 5 grid. so you would have 25 sectors, labeled:

A1, A2......., A5
B1
E1............., E5

Each sector would have 2-3 different versions (so, A1-1, A1-2, etc), and each sector would seamless fit with its adjacent sector regardless of the version.

That way, while the map is loading, it can randomly select different sectors and assemble them together. The sectors all exist and are prerendered, so you dont waste power generating the maps; all the program would do is assemble it from existing peices.

I dont know if this made sense lol. If time permits, i was planning on trying to code something like this just to see if its possible; chances are i wont have time for a while.

Upvote 0
The Beast (nl) - From what I know ARMA 1 and 2 were done by the same studio responsible for Operation Flashpoint 1, Bohemia Interactive. Operation Flashpoint 2 has been done by someone else and shouldn't be confused with the people who made Operation Flashpoint 1.

That's 100% correct.

Bohemia Interactive and Codemasters split up after Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis. Codemasters role was simply to publish the game. Since Codemasters owned the Operation Flashpoint™ they developed Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and used false advertising in order to boost the sales. It worked. The game sold 1.2 million copies. However... Operation Flashpoint: Red River was released this year and struggled to sell 100,000 copies in the EU. The game is now both dead and canned along with Bodycount and Codemaster's Guilford Studio is closed down with 66 fired employees.

Imo the Codemasters Dev team are useless. They told lies, mislead, released a broken game, cencored posts at their forums, gave infractions, and banned people that were complaining about Red River. I was personally shadowbanned at their forums for expressing my opinion. When I mailed them about this I didn't recieve any answer. Instead I was permanently banned. So many more people were banned, had their posts censored, and left the community for ever. Most of the modders that actually tried to fix Dragon Rising and make it playable was either banned or left the board.. Codemasters deserved all this. It's great that they failed with Bodycount aswell. Maybe all this isn't relevant but I always take the chance to throw back dogpoo at Codemasters when I can...

However, the real sequel to the orginal OFP is the ArmA series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Das Bose
Upvote 0
That's 100% correct.

Bohemia Interactive and Codemasters split up after Operation Flashpoint: Cold war crisis. Codemasters role was simply to publish the game. Since Codemasters owned the Operation Flashpoint™ they developed Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and used false advertising in order to boost the sales. It worked. The game sold 1.2 million copies. However... Operation Flashpoint: Red River was released this year and struggled to sell 100,000 copies in the EU. The game is now both dead and canned along with Bodycount and Codemaster's Guilford Studio is closed down with 66 fired employees.

Imo the Codemasters Dev team are useless. They told lies, mislead, released a broken game, cencored posts at their forums, gave infractions, and banned people that were complaining about Red River. I was personally shadowbanned at their forums for expressing my opinion. When I mailed them about this I didn't recieve any answer. Instead I was permanently banned. So many more people were banned, had their posts censored, and left the community for ever. Most of the modders that actually tried to fix Dragon Rising and make it playable was either banned or left the board.. Codemasters deserved all this. It's great that they failed with Bodycount aswell. Maybe all this isn't relevant but I always take the chance to throw back dogpoo at Codemasters when I can...

However, the real sequel to the orginal OFP is the ArmA series.

i agree. I think the only codemaster games i enjoy are F1 and Grid

I knew red river was gonna be s*** the moment i saw it.

As for dragron rising, i didnt enjoy it much either. I have about 1100hours in ARMA2/OA, and still play to this day. I think about 500 of those hours were spent in the mission editor lol; one of the most powerful editors i have ever seen (aside from an sdk).

Its curious how i've never heard of this WW2 mod. In fact i feel like playing it right now lol.

Upvote 0
I love RO2 but I was sorely disappointed to find that teamplay and organization exists at the most at a very loose level with squads only being there for a better spawn area :mad:. It would be awesome to make teamwork a more forced mechanic in the game instead of this every man for himself lone wolf style of gameplay that kills off any attempt at realism.

Upvote 0