• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Tape your screen

It's a commonly-known fact that in Killing Floor, many weapons are just as accurate -- or at least pretty close -- when hipfired as they are when aiming down the sight. The reason you aim down the sight is because there's no crosshair.
But sometimes, it's very useful to be able to hipfire accurately so you can pop a few zeds while moving, especially while kiting. And for a Berserker, you can't aim down the sight at all, so learning to "hipfire" the melee weapons accurately is essential to take advantage of headshot bonuses.

Through experience, you can get a feel for about where the shots are going to land when you hipfire them, a feel for about where the center of the screen is. For me, I think it's an instinctive understanding of where the zed's head should be on my screen to hipfire headshot it at a given distance.

But if you can't do that, or you want even more precision, there's a neat workaround: simply aim down your sights with something that has good iron sights (say, the Lever-Action Rifle), and use the sights for aligning when putting a small piece of tape on your screen. Presto-blammo, you now have a crosshair!

ggpNbNs.jpg

If you have the same trouble I did and can't get a piece small enough to serve as a good crosshair, just take a sharpie and add a dot on top of the tape, so that the ink doesn't harm your screen.

I tested it out tonight and it works like a charm! I was popping Crawlers and Gorefasts from the hip all over the place.
Like I said, it's also excellent for Berserkers who don't have the experience to land headshots instinctively yet, especially when those Gorefasts, Sirens, Bloats, Husks, and Scrakes mean you're pretty dependent on landing melee headshots.

And I know what you're thinking; "but Captain Howel, isn't this cheating?"
Well I've got just the answer for you: PROBABLY NOT!
See, cheating is somewhat subjective, but basically it's defined as breaking the rules to give yourself an advantage over competitors. That's not what you're doing here though -- you're using an external resource to give yourself a useful skill that competitors got through practice, and which you can still gain through practice, but without the trial and error of the past!

And sure, veteran players may call you a scrub if they find out you're using this, but at least they won't be calling you a scrub for missing a vital headshot and enraging the Fleshpound or Scrake causing it to wipe your whole team!

:D

Last edited:
It's a commonly-known fact that in Killing Floor, many weapons are just as accurate -- or at least pretty close -- when hipfired as they are when aiming down the sight. The reason you aim down the sight is because there's no crosshair.
But sometimes, it's very useful to be able to hipfire accurately so you can pop a few zeds while moving, especially while kiting. And for a Berserker, you can't aim down the sight at all, so learning to "hipfire" the melee weapons accurately is essential to take advantage of headshot bonuses.

Through experience, you can get a feel for about where the shots are going to land when you hipfire them, a feel for about where the center of the screen is. For me, I think it's an instinctive understanding of where the zed's head should be on my screen to hipfire headshot it at a given distance.

But if you can't do that, or you want even more precision, there's a neat workaround: simply aim down your sights with something that has good iron sights (say, the Lever-Action Rifle), and use the sights for aligning when putting a small piece of tape on your screen. Presto-blammo, you now have a crosshair!

ggpNbNs.jpg

If you have the same trouble I did and can't get a piece small enough to serve as a good crosshair, just take a sharpie and add a dot on top of the tape, so that the ink doesn't harm your screen.

I tested it out tonight and it works like a charm! I was popping Crawlers and Gorefasts from the hip all over the place.
Like I said, it's also excellent for Berserkers who don't have the experience to land headshots instinctively yet, especially when those Gorefasts, Sirens, Bloats, Husks, and Scrakes mean you're pretty dependent on landing melee headshots.

And I know what you're thinking; "but Captain Howel, isn't this cheating?"
Well I've got just the answer for you: PROBABLY NOT!
See, cheating is somewhat subjective, but basically it's defined as breaking the rules to give yourself an advantage over competitors. That's not what you're doing here though -- you're using an external resource to give yourself a useful skill that competitors got through practice, and which you can still gain through practice, but without the trial and error of the past!

And sure, veteran players may call you a scrub if they find out you're using this, but at least they won't be calling you a scrub for missing a vital headshot and enraging the Fleshpound or Scrake causing it to wipe your whole team!

:D

TAPING YOUR SCREEN...no...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...That's what those loser quickscopers in CoD do because they are serious losers who only play for those stupid "montages" with that obnoxiously bad dubstep (how can anyone listen to that ****, and think it is good is beyond me). Tape is best used for fixing stuff, just not this.

Upvote 0
B*tch pls.
crosshair.png

If anyone asks, it wasn't me.
"You have to play at your monitor's native resolution, or the game will freak out."
Well, there goes that.

Your threads make me sad.
:(
I was hoping to give people a few laughs with this thread.

Tell ya what...
i9ssy77.png

Here's all of my threads.
Which ones in particular were bad, and what can I do to improve?
Counting this one, I can see 4 that I think you might consider bad.

Upvote 0
This is kind of old news. And yeah, you're better off going into windowed mode and using a program. Or, if you wanted to still use fullscreen, then at the very least, buy a $5 laser pointer and mount it somewhere behind you so that it hits the middle of your screen.

But honestly... if you simply play without aiming down the sights for a while, you get just as good at doing it. It becomes trivial after a while, lol.

Upvote 0
Alternative best method :

Spoiler!
Honk honk, mother****er
Git gud always applies, in all things, forever

Howel, how come you're not in native resolution? I was unaware people did any different.
Because my computer is complete potatoes (it's a notebook, not made for gaming at all) and so while the screen is 1366 x 768, I need to run most games in 800 x 600 with minimum settings to get an acceptable framerate.

Upvote 0
while the screen is 1366 x 768, I need to run most games in 800 x 600 with minimum settings to get an acceptable framerate.
Know that feel bro.
Providing you sufficiently optimise your pc (end all unnecessary startup processes & services, defrag, no web browser running) you should be able to get it playable, as it runs okay in native res on my acer netbook.

What I posted is obviously healthier for the monitor lol
;)

Upvote 0
Know that feel bro.
Providing you sufficiently optimise your pc (end all unnecessary startup processes & services, defrag, no web browser running) you should be able to get it playable, as it runs okay in native res on my acer netbook.
But that would mean closing all my tabs :p
But yeah, I should attempt that. I would love to get a lot of games running better.

Upvote 0