• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Tanks or Infantry?

Tanks or Infantry?

• I mainly play Tank maps

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I mainly play Infantry maps

Votes: 48 39.7%
  • I like a mixture

Votes: 64 52.9%

• Total voters

Johnny555

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 25, 2006
Lancaster UK
I have been playing RO for a few weeks now. I have played all the original maps many times over. And I know what I do and don't like.

I now tend to play the tank maps mostly. If the map changes to an infantry one, I usually go back to the menu and try to find a tank map. Unless there is a good group of people playing, who are using good team tactics and voice comms. In which case I will stay.

So what do you lot do?

Ghost22

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 1, 2006
I like the maps that are based more towards infantry but have 1 or 2 tanks on the map. Such as Rakowice or Hedgehog. Those are the maps I like. On maps focused more toward tanks, I tend to choose infantry more such as AT infantry. I don't really like tank battles a whole lot.

That might change once they fix the tanks.

druid

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 10, 2006
I prefer infantry only maps, but also enjoy combined arms maps (konigsplatz, rakowice, hedgehog). I think the infantry game is much more developed and sophisticated than the tank system. The infantry/CA maps also look much better.

Playing tanks maps reminds me too much of BF1942, and that's a bad thing.

Mr._Kong

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 25, 2006
A Sniper Position Near You.
Infantry TFW!
I dont enjoy tank maps, I just dont like the pacing. Also vehicles are kinda awkward to use, for me at least. I just want a gun and maybe a grenade, anything more is just to much spice.

Johnny555

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 25, 2006
Lancaster UK
As I write, almost double the number of people who prefer infantry, with 25 who like a mixture. Pretty much as I expected (with a few more mixtures than I thought).

I hated the tanks when I first played RO. They felt odd. Having come from BF2 with it's oh so easy tank controls. I used to die a lot and hardly scratched the paint on the enemies tank.

But now I know how to angle my armour and where to hit my opponent, I am living a lot longer and enjoying myself immensley in the process.

I am not so keen on the maps like Konigs or Rakowice, that only employ small numbers of tanks. Because if I don't spawn quickly enough, then I miss getting one. Then I find myself grinding my teeth when some total noob drives the precious beast headlong into disaster, or just sits back and shoots five miles over its intended target (time after time).

I do admire the infantry combat in RO. It just feels so right. Even compared to the best of the rest.
But I'm a tank man now, and totally addicted.

After the patch, I'm going to need rehab to stop playing this game :D

Last edited:

Ron

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 9, 2006
Johnny555 said:
As I write, almost double the number of people who prefer infantry, with 25 who like a mixture. Pretty much as I expected (with a few more mixtures than I thought).

I hated the tanks when I first played RO. They felt odd. Having come from BF2 with it's oh so easy tank controls. I used to die a lot and hardly scratched the paint on the enemies tank.

But now I know how to angle my armour and where to hit my opponent, I am living a lot longer and enjoying myself immensley in the process.

I am not so keen on the maps like Konigs or Rakowice, that only employ small numbers of tanks. Because if I don't spawn quickly enough, then I miss getting one. Then I find myself grinding my teeth when some total noob drives the precious beast headlong into disaster, or just sits back and shoots five miles over its intended target (time after time).

I do admire the infantry combat in RO. It just feels so right. Even compared to the best of the rest.
But I'm a tank man now, and totally addicted.

After the patch, I'm going to need rehab to stop playing this game :D
Well i voted mixture but i actually prefer the tanks its just i end playing mixture of all types well because while i love tanks i also love infantry just less so.

Johnny555

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 25, 2006
Lancaster UK
Ron said:
Well i voted mixture but i actually prefer the tanks its just i end playing mixture of all types well because while i love tanks i also love infantry just less so.
I think I will go and play a few infantry maps for a change. I have had some great times playing as a rifleman. So I'm going to go and do that right now. :)

Theodrake

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 21, 2006
I'm really detesting the clown car. Unless I have a PF or two :p. On too many tank maps I've had to sit in the spawn waiting for a tank. Still seeing too many refuse to team up.

FinFury

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 29, 2006
Finland
Well I voted mixture because it's nice to lay back after an intense infatry map and take a ride with a tank and roll over the weak infantry and see some enemy tanks to burst in flames after giving them a shot from sharp angle straight to it's ammo storage.

Moonbiter

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 27, 2006
I voted mixture, but I like the maps with on a few tanks on it for mixture. Something to add a little spice. I've played a tanker a few times and I did alright, but it just hasn't grabbed me yet.

I would LOVE to seen an African mod on this engine. Would love to do some tanking in the desert.