• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Combat Question

The Laggy Scout!

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Does anyone know whether the player (in multiplayer) will simply command a tank and have the crew be AI only or is it that in online play each spot is filled by a player with the commander being like a platoon leader in regular infantry combat?
This video (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-red-orchestra/711635) has some info but it wasn't fully clear.
Thanks for any answers in advance.

When you jump into a tank as a commander, you get to decide if you want to play with AI or real players, i don't know what the default is, but you can lock out other players from entering your tank.

It was probably the best decision they could make, since tank users on RO can get quite greedy, but then i suppose its not too much fun driving a tank around and getting no points or anything for the whole game.

This will at least prevent people running about with a one man tank and will allow for a pretty effective two man crew.

Upvote 0
I like what we've heard so far regarding the tanks in RO2, sounds promising.

And finally, no more standing around for ages waiting for tanks - only for them to be taken by some greedy idiot once they spawn. Will also be nice to have a full crew in the tank regardless of whether you're on your own or with human players, should make them much more effective at all times.

Reactions: JohnnyRaygun
Upvote 0
Ohhh I already see the rage in the in-game chat: "Noob gtfo the tank, take another class"
All those greedy tards (sorry for this, but it's true) will have to learn to teamplay and that you cannot handle a single tank alone in RO2

The tank commander gets to choose whether or lock the tank (i.e not to allow other players in and have it fully crewed by AI)

Upvote 0
I'm not too fond of some tank features they chose. Spawning in the tank is fine, but not being able to leave the tank I don't agree with. This should be a server setting, not hard coded into the game. Also the ability to lock the tank should be a server setting, as well as the AI crew.

And it may be, that what TWI chose is the best option, but the ability to choose is the best option of all.

Reactions: Dietrich Graf
Upvote 0
What is bugging me the most that devs haven't given us any info about how exactly detailed will be armor and penetration system. Sure we've heard that there will be all kind of damages to the turret traverse, tracks, visual effects etc but these features are very well known in arcade tank kind of games. The stuff like gun data or if every area of the tank armor is taken into account has been concerning me most than anything since very begining.

Upvote 0
What is bugging me the most that devs haven't given us any info about how exactly detailed will be armor and penetration system. Sure we've heard that there will be all kind of damages to the turret traverse, tracks, visual effects etc but these features are very well known in arcade tank kind of games. The stuff like gun data or if every area of the tank armor is taken into account has been concerning me most than anything since very begining.

Search through Wilsonam's posts. He's mentioned it'll be more detailed than RO1, and that already had different armor values for each area of the tank, penetration data specific to each cannon / round / distance to target, etc. They've mentioned specific tank subsystems will be damageable, like optics, tracks, transmission, engine, etc.

He even mentioned ambient temperature (and presumably air density) will have an effect on tank round accuracy. I think it's safe to assume it'll be a relatively detailed system.

Upvote 0
Search through Wilsonam's posts. He's mentioned it'll be more detailed than RO1, and that already had different armor values for each area of the tank, penetration data specific to each cannon / round / distance to target, etc. They've mentioned specific tank subsystems will be damageable, like optics, tracks, transmission, engine, etc.

He even mentioned ambient temperature (and presumably air density) will have an effect on tank round accuracy. I think it's safe to assume it'll be a relatively detailed system.

Yes I read the Wilsonam's posts that it will be more detailed than RO1 but never found any of the examples or more detail into a code parameteres. Whether the armor value will be from 1 to 10 or is calculated into angle/quality like for instance 82mm/30deg and everything. And whether APCR shells will react differently on very sloped armors than normal AP shells and stuff like that.

And when I mean each area, not just upper hull and lower hull but if the different parts of the for example T34/76 turret will be accounted beacuse as we know the more in center of it the more vertical it is beacuse it's rounded.

04T34_76Turret.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I read the Wilsonam's posts that it will be more detailed than RO1 but never found any of the examples or more detail into a code parameteres. Whether the armor value will be from 1 to 10 or is calculated into angle/quality like for instance 82mm/30deg and everything. And whether APCR shells will react differently on very sloped armors than normal AP shells and stuff like that.

And when I mean each area, not just upper hull and lower hull but if the different parts of the for example T34/76 turret will be accounted beacuse as we know the more in center of it the more vertical it is beacuse it's rounded.

04T34_76Turret.jpg

Read through this thread to get an idea of what Wilsonam was taking into account for tank combat. http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=719119#post719119

Upvote 0
still think id rather be tanking with the ai over randoms

Agreed. Nothing worse that a random player(s) jumping in a tank, not using voice coms, blindly firing the hull mg from spawn, and rotating the turret away from the enemy when they appear, and then using HE on hard targets.

Advocates of 'compulsory' team tanking should take multiple rides with an a#$hat on a pub server and see how they get on :eek:

I'm all for team tanking - but an AI crew may be better than a random pubber in some cases

Upvote 0
There's only one concern i have, if the tank implementation was to be truly realistic, than anti tank rifles will be massively useless unless you get a direct hit in a weak area being closer than you'd want to be/have any decent chance of surviving the tank.

Although, just thinking, i suppose they could be used to take out the tracks, I've no idea if they are capable of doing that, but it seem likely. So not completely useless.

I'm not expecting a simulation though, just a bit of sense, which i'd like to think TW have. But if their moderation and trailer is anything to go by, theres a chance they are lacking, but hopefully not in the areas that count.

Upvote 0
Tank rifles were a thorn in the German's side in Stalingrad. If you read accounts from the German commanders, they list that tanks are very vunerable to anti-tank rifles.

A simpler question I have about tank combat is if we're able to switch out rounds depending on the situation without having to shoot them. If I have HE loaded because I was shelling a building that had enemy infantry in it; could I switch to AP if I saw a tank without having to fire?

Upvote 0
The tank commander gets to choose whether or lock the tank (i.e not to allow other players in and have it fully crewed by AI)

I dont understand how this will work. Does the game spawn more tanks for other people?

If the tank commander can prohibit other players from playing in tanks then isn't it the same thing as just stealing a tank from spawn?

Upvote 0