• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Tank Combat...How to

oldsoldier173

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Ceresco, NE
In the game tank vs. tank combat is an art form. The standard I see more than not is the two tanks at about 200m exchanging shots till one explodes.

My 'real' experience is with the M-2 IFV, but still a turreted vehicle and the same principles apply.

Always go to a good hull down position and scan the field, keep turret rotating fro 10 to 2. Look first at the 'where would I be?', then the usual travel and firing positions.

Always present your front armor towards enemy, so many times a tank will just rotate turret to face enemy rather than rotate vehicle so best armor is facing enemy. It is advantageous to have a driver/hull gunner, as well as gunner/TC, trick is the communication between the two.

Aim points, I go for the turret ring when I can see it, lower hull, then the hull mg/driver visor. Going nose to nose at hull pretty useless. If you are the victor...MOVE the bad guy will immediately 'look' for you where he last saw you, you know where he will show, and what he will present, so it should be easier.

It is so easy to 'pin' a tank in it's spawn area, where the only exits are covered, from again a hull down position, yes to keep the claims of spawn camping down, give him 25m or so.

Assault/Support mode. First off never move without an infantry screen to keep enemy infantry AT away from you. You infantry screens job is to keep Rambo and his AT grenade or satchel charge out of range. Tankers if and when smoke is anywhere near you vehicle, back out at least 50m or so, it is one of your teammates being stupid, or a enemy blinding you, both allow Rambo and his ATG or satchel to run up on you.

NEVER get in front of you Infantry advance, you are NOT an assault vehicle, you are a support vehicle, providing MG and mini arty (HE) fires on enemy positions. And if enemy has a tank as well, your job is to hunt him out to prevent him from doing what you should be doing.

I never went to actual combat in the M-2, did Ft. Irwin NTC, and quite well, using simple concepts from the manuals, understanding I am NOT a tank, and knowing what the 25mm could and could not do, at what angles and target aspect. In game there are so many times when I play tank I go for my TOW activation/raise button, memories

I tend to find if the enemy tank is presenting his frontal armor and turret, aim to the right of the gun to kill the Gunner/Comander Knocking out his ability to fire for 6-7 seconds, In that time i find it helps to move your tank into a better between shots.

If he is stupid enough to show his side armor aim for just below the Turret/above the tracks on the panzer 4, and for the T-34 between the 2nd and 3rd Road wheel. as these are the easiest locations of the Ammo Racks to hit reliably.

Upvote 0
Tanking really Comes down to who shot First at roh2 distances.
Everyone aims at the gunner its the safest to stay alive.
Hullshots sometimes just bounce despite beringe 50 Meters away at a good angle.
Worst thing about the tank combat is that. The T34 for balancing reasons has a much faster reload than in reality.

Against noob Tankers you sometimes can outflank them though but dont try against veterans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The tanking in this game isnt even close to being as fun as in the original Red Orchestra. The visuals are great and the interiors are tops, but I dont think tank vs tank combat was the intention in RO2:HoS.

That said, I do really enjoy playing the infantry combat as a simple rifleman in RO2:HoS. A complete turnaround as I rarely ever played infantry in the original Red Orchestra.

Upvote 0
NEVER get in front of you Infantry advance, you are NOT an assault vehicle, you are a support vehicle, providing MG and mini arty (HE) fires on enemy positions. And if enemy has a tank as well, your job is to hunt him out to prevent him from doing what you should be doing.

Absolutely agree, and if you get the eternal naggers complaining you don't attack just ignore them. They might try to votekick you but just explain you are there for fire support, not rambo-tanking.

There is a time to get in cap but for the tanker keeping the distance is more important. Especially since team mates have no clue about defending the tank, and seem to be blind to enemy AT guys running towards you ... :rolleyes:

Playing tank commander on Bridges is a lot of fun if you can get it, just stay far enough away from the ever-present danger of enemy satchels and AT grenades, and just lob HE and MG fire into the enemy lines. Can easily get 100+ kills in one game :cool:

Upvote 0
I have played the Gumrak map quite a few times now and the tanking is quite enjoyable after all. Just too many damd bots running around and I've noticed that when damaged and you goto get more ammo, your ammo is not only topped off, your armor damage is repaired and dead crew members are replaced.

There is another tank map out there Yakolov or something. I enter the server and begin to download, but im either kicked for idleing or that map ends and I do not finish downloading. Is there a way around this? (windows 8.1)

Upvote 0
thanks! where do I put it?
:IS2:

And what happened to the RGN servers being in the game multiplayer area. I have noticed that some people have been banned from the forums, ok , fine, but the servers also? I enjoyed the RGN servers from day one, way back in the Original Red Orchestra. I look up RGN servers and nothing.

Upvote 0
thanks! where do I put it?
:IS2:

And what happened to the RGN servers being in the game multiplayer area. I have noticed that some people have been banned from the forums, ok , fine, but the servers also? I enjoyed the RGN servers from day one, way back in the Original Red Orchestra. I look up RGN servers and nothing.

put it in this directory:
C:\Users\Prot0typ1cal\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Published\CookedPC\Maps

TWI delisted RGN from the server list, long story...
meanwhile, use the Steam server browser, or hit ~ and type "join 74.91.112.110:7777" without the ""s naturally.

Glad you like my map :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I get as far as C , users, John, Documents, My Games, RedOrchestra2, ROGame......

Then I have to choose from : cache, config and logs

Add the sub-directories manually. (create folder/rename)

Steam d/l's subscibed maps to the C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Published\CookedPC\Maps

Many users don't have these sub-directories set up, so Steam fails.

There is one other place custom maps can be placed, in the "BrewedPC/maps" Steam folder where the RO2 stock map folders are located. This location tends to create conflicts with Steam subscribed maps and server redirects, yet IMO should be where they live as the directory structure already exists.

Upvote 0