• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Taking out Tigers on Orel 88v76

I was playing Orel, with the Tiger tanks today. I was in a lone Tiger, with Mr.88, in the East Field. The T34s did a great job of attacking us. At times we are receiving fire on three side. Very tricky, as we couldn't help having our flanks exposed to someone. Excellent job by the Russians.

Upvote 0
I just got done playing on this server. Fun map but the Germans somehow managed to arty our spawn. Thought you couldn't do that.

On top of that we had one of our own TKing at spawn. I hit F9 to snapshot some idiot named "Myller(SWP)" shooting me in the kneecaps while at spawn. I got a nice picture of it.

Nowhere on the DOND.ORG web page do I see an option to report tkers or abusive players. Too bad as it was a nice picture. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
This is my favorite map by far. Not going to touch the clowncar subject cause we all know the issues there.

I tend to play only in the Tiger and I almost always try to take another player with me, or two, if they can respond at least (often people don't respond wtf?). I try to team up with at least one other tank but usually I'm lucky if I can get one person to respond out of a whole team. Kinda sad.

Anyway just today I had a fun engagement. Managed to flank right with the Tiger. Somehow all the Stugs and PzIIIs and PzIVs ran off into Ruins even though I cleared it with a few rounds and an arty barrage. Mistake #1.

We moved on past the Ruins above us on the left and encountered a T34 which promptly disabled our left track. He bit the dust with a single AP round down his throat. I give credit to the Russian crewman, whomever he/she was, that didn't bail out knowing full well what was coming as the 88 was slowly swigning around pointing menacingly down his viewport at maybe 50m.

The next 20 or so minutes was a great example of what not to do as a Russian tanker when facing a Tiger and only being able to flank from extremely close range (100-200m) since the terrain prevented being flanked on the left.

The first t34 came arrogantly over the hill just over from the building at West Field. He ate an AP round into his lower hull and blew. Kv1 came running down to join the fight from South Lake coming over a somewhat high hill. At least he made it down the hill before he blew up although it took two AP rounds. Another T34 was hiding behind just over the hill at West Field for about 5 minutes and I couldn't curve a round into him as he was too close. So instead I curved a round into a tank stopped at South Lake bridge. He must have wondered where that came from. The shot was at max clip distance.

A clowncar came rocketing towards us and for some odd reason paniced and tried to drive up the hill between Central Heights and Ruins but as he got a little further I put a round into his butt. That was a hard shot with him driving every which way. That hiding t34 finally came out around the hill to my right flank from West Field. He bounced a round off my side and I put one into his belly. At this point more T34s showed up obviously intrested in getting a free kill on a Tiger. I'm not sure if they realized I was disabled or not but they both flanked me under the cover of the West Field hill to my right flank same as their pal tried earlier. They both bounced several rounds off me and turned me yellow but they both ate a single AP round.

To be honest I don't know what took me out but it seemed to be someone shooting an HE round from some distance and at an angle on me but angles seem to mean nothing for HE rounds.

The most fun 20 minutes I ever had in a disabled tank.

P.S. I don't know how damage or penetration is calculated but its far from realistic. On this same map I have had my Tiger's engine blown up by a t34 shooting from roughly 800m directly at my front and rounds regularly damage the Tiger's engine that hit near the tank (not HE). WTF?

EDIT: I want to put credit where credit is due. Nim was my driver and after we got disabled he spoted for me. He called out virtually every single target I killed except the Kv1 I saw first and the tank on South Lake bridge. Without him calling out targets the Tiger would have died long before we finally did.

Upvote 0
GonzoX said:
I just got done playing on this server. Fun map but the Germans somehow managed to arty our spawn.

Hello there, that was me on the binocs and let me say i watched the whole tk scene. Now for the arty.. There is a tiny spawn protection and my first salvo was very near but not on the spawn (when i called it there was no one in the spawn as it is the rear one). Now when Fireship4 started yelling for beeing spawnkilled it was allready to late to cancel (the salvos on this map are very long).. All the following salvo where 400 meters at least from spawn on the north.

Anyway, my intentions were to force you to take south-east route were our tanks were waiting in ambush and i think it's fair game as you guys didn't realise i was in your bunker. You just needed to come over and kill me (i could even see you without binoculars).

Next time just think about WHY arty is following you so quickly and also from WHERE you can call it in the area.

Sorry for the inconvenience it wasn't my intention.

:p

Upvote 0
\\<.Adnauseam said:
Hello there, that was me on the binocs and let me say i watched the whole tk scene. Now for the arty.. There is a tiny spawn protection and my first salvo was very near but not on the spawn (when i called it there was no one in the spawn as it is the rear one). Now when Fireship4 started yelling for beeing spawnkilled it was allready to late to cancel (the salvos on this map are very long).. All the following salvo where 400 meters at least from spawn on the north.

Anyway, my intentions were to force you to take south-east route were our tanks were waiting in ambush and i think it's fair game as you guys didn't realise i was in your bunker. You just needed to come over and kill me (i could even see you without binoculars).

Next time just think about WHY arty is following you so quickly and also from WHERE you can call it in the area.

Sorry for the inconvenience it wasn't my intention.

:p

And you also exploited a bug by calling arty on our west bridge right at the beginning of a new round with the saved coordinates from the previous one. Pretty lame.

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
And you also exploited a bug by calling arty on our west bridge right at the beginning of a new round with the saved coordinates from the previous one. Pretty lame.

I don't exploit anything. However i did explain to you how it was possible when you asked but no it wasn't me.. You know there is two commanders per side and thoses weren't my coordinates.

I don't call arty at round start.

:mad:

Upvote 0
Oi!Oi!Oi! said:
That was me. :p That was a preemptive measure to keep the little ivans as far away from the west field as possible. That bridge has always been a pain in the ass to destroy.

Upvote 0
I've noticed that despite the advice to the Russian side in dealing with Tigers, practically all of the opponents I faced last night still engage head-to-head. I've experienced the engine going red from a frontal shot between the range of 300 to 500 meters-that from a T34. Obviously, the idea of flanking such a superior force does not register to them. No matter how you "angle" your T34 to fend off an 88 round, it's completely futile! The only thing that was knocking me out was an arty strike, and it took 4 attempts to do so when I was holding the West Field alone.
The Tiger is better suited for open-field tactics and not for lurking in contained areas, as it needs room to manuver. It's perfect for Orel, and especially for parking near radios for calling in Arty. I did that for the Central Heights while in full view from three T34s. Any other tank would have received fire to interrupt things, but not the Tiger. It really makes a difference and I can tell when it disrupts the Russian focus on victory conditions.

Upvote 0
I know some have learned and the other day I ran into I think the same group of Russians twice. They would feed my Tiger 3 of them and one on each side would flank. I would be forced to angle my tank to either direction to engage them and open my rear. Brilliant strategy which wasn't needed when I got blown up from the side from maybe 300m and another time from 500m. That's proof enough it's not exactly realism but something between an FPS and Realism.

In real life you could never have blown up my Tiger. Regardless it shouldn't take away from the effort put forth by Russians in coming togeather with, at one point 7, t34's to rush into East Field. Not once but twice to get me and kill me like that twice in a row. Good tactic but I have since changed tactics to adapt as well. =)

Seriously there are some real good team players who play Russian. There are several on German side too but sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one on our side who is able to communicate through chat and everyone else doesn't understand English or doesn't know wtf they are doing and simply run around randomly. sigh...

I so much prefer team combat where a group of tanks stick togeather to accomplish a mission or even just two tanks with 3-4 people between them run around and cause trouble.

Upvote 0
Aelius said:
Seriously there are some real good team players who play Russian. There are several on German side too but sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one on our side who is able to communicate through chat and everyone else doesn't understand English or doesn't know wtf they are doing and simply run around randomly. sigh...

I so much prefer team combat where a group of tanks stick togeather to accomplish a mission or even just two tanks with 3-4 people between them run around and cause trouble.

Most of the fun on Orel 88vs76 is to hunt down Tigers.

Upvote 0
Orel is now a huge rapefest, usually when the server isn't full then the germans have always more players.

14 vs 10 etc, Russians get camped from the hills and flanking takes like 15-20 minutes.

We need moveable spawnpoints (I want to spawn at south lake), and at least 2 T34/85. I don't care if it's not realistic, I'm sick of the germans playing the easy mode while we have to group up (4-5 Tanks) just to take out one tiger.

Upvote 0
Monkwarrior said:
Send them to me if somebody really misbehaves.
TK-ing is not a problem at the moment because FF=OFF on tankmapson the DonD server.
Monk.

Heum.. Strange cause i've been teamkilled in my tank several times. I've also teamkilled a friendly tank that attacked our platoon and killed some of our guys.

However we successfully votkicked some idiots who were satcheling all our tank. I guess it's the easiest way to deal with this "problem".

Thx for the hosting btw. Very nice server with low pings.

Upvote 0
I had it happen to me one time and then I found the radio and pulled the same stunt. But it is obvious the creator of this map put in radios so you can call in ART on the spawn. It also seemed to me to be a bigger, longer barrage then art called in from other radios (I don't know it just seemed like it.

It sucks to be the victim of this but I'm guessing the map creator did it to force each side to provide security. The only way to prevent this is to hold the heights or hold your flanks. You can do this by either camping on a bridge or blowing it. At the begining of a map I try to get to one of the enemies flanking bridges. I will cross it and then blow it. This is an especially important role for the clown car. Two tankers should get in and dash for one of the german flanks. Most likely the germans right. One of the tankers should use his 2 satchels to blow the bridges. Then the other tank should take the clown car and rush the other two bridges. He may not make it, but he can distract the germans from his no satcheless buddy who should start sneaking up to the german spawn. Locate the radio just outside of spawn. Position an art strike on the german spawn. coordinate with teamates. Call down art when germans are spawning and teamates are ready to overrun heights.

Upvote 0