• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Switching Steam account across computers.

Nicholas

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 16, 2010
I'm going to be getting a new PC soon, how do I switch my account to my new PC and make it unavailable on my old one?

Harb

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 16, 2006
London
Download and install the steam client on your new PC. You can now download and play your library of steam games :)

You can uninstall steam and games from your old computer's hard drive but if you aren't selling it/giving it away/throwing it away you can leave it there.

Flogger23m

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 5, 2009
Download Steam on new PC.

Install your games from Steam or CD/DVDs.

Enjoy.

That is how it worked for me two years ago at least.

Morello

Administrator
Mar 17, 2006
You can also copy across your steamapps folder if you don't feel like downloading all the games again.

Pvt.pile

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
Sconnie Botland
If you dont back up your games or ini files at least back up your saves I always forget this! :)

**edit** You an admin know ralf? o_O

=GG= Mr Moe

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
Download and install the steam client on your new PC. You can now download and play your library of steam games :)

You can uninstall steam and games from your old computer's hard drive but if you aren't selling it/giving it away/throwing it away you can leave it there.
Yes, just have it so you must enter your password everytime on your old computer so only you can use it.

Nicholas

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 16, 2010
Well I want it permanently on my new PC, I'm not playing on my ancient PC anyway, and weirdly enough I don't even have any saved games I need to keep.

Nicholas

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 16, 2010
I just got my new PC, I can't use my Steam account though, I forgot the password though, and it won't reset my password through my email? What do I do now? I have a perfectly good PC and can't play any games because there isn't a normal password backup system.

Morello

Administrator
Mar 17, 2006
If you didn't set an email account as a recovery option then you will have to submit a ticket through the Steam website and explain the situation. They will likely want you to send them an invoice of a game you bought as proof of ownership.

Nicholas

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 16, 2010
If you didn't set an email account as a recovery option then you will have to submit a ticket through the Steam website and explain the situation. They will likely want you to send them an invoice of a game you bought as proof of ownership.
How long will it take?

Morello

Administrator
Mar 17, 2006
Don't know, I've never lost my account details. On average if you send a ticket through the Steam system it takes 24-48 hours for them to respond.

Harb

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 16, 2006
London
I'm guessing you still have your old pc and your steam on that is auto login. If so connect to that and add recovery email address :)

=GG= Mr Moe

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
Agreed ^^^

It is always best to keep your account info, recovery email and password up to date. I have known at least one person who could never remember all that, kept changing their email, not remember their password, and have hard drive crashes to where they would loose their games. That could add up $$$.