• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Support could be more powerful?

Impagliazzo

Oct 28, 2009
I remember playing support at first because of how badass firing a Hunting Shotgun looked, bam, 5 bodies go flying.

But now I'm at Level 4 in both SS and Support and SS with 2x.50 and M14 is more destructive.

Everytime I fire I feel like my Shotgun should penetrate more zeds, do more damage to Zeds that get hit behind the original target, etc.

Is there a nerf to the Support I'm not aware of?

I want that punch back, lol.

:p

Believe me, it's still there. You're just so used to sharpshooter picking everything off one at a time from super distances you aren't used to the support style anymore. Wait until a pile is right on top of you and shoot, ohhh they bodies will fly. I love making a parade on Suicidal Farm and then turning around and unloading both hunting shotty barrels into it as soon as my nose hairs tickle they're so close and BOOM they drop.

Upvote 0
I remember playing support at first because of how badass firing a Hunting Shotgun looked, bam, 5 bodies go flying.

But now I'm at Level 4 in both SS and Support and SS with 2x.50 and M14 is more destructive.

Everytime I fire I feel like my Shotgun should penetrate more zeds, do more damage to Zeds that get hit behind the original target, etc.

Is there a nerf to the Support I'm not aware of?

I want that punch back, lol.

:p

I, as well, used to play support all the time. I don't think its a drop in power per se but with the edition of the newer weapons after the last update the support loses out in speed. No doubt the support can really deal out damage, but without having the reload speed bonus of the sharp shooter or to a lessor extent the commando it just doesn't keep up as well anymore. The VAST majority of us who use support all know the feeling of getting caught reloading (a VERY LONG reload by the way, regardless of the weapon: aa12, shotgun or hunting shottie) then get surrounded and its over that quick. Everyone has had that inopportune reloading; however, perks such as sharpshooter and commando recover MUCH faster than the support.

So long story short the punch is still there but you can't put out the damage as fast as the sharpshooter (especially) and the commando.

*Also I believe at one point the penetration power of the shotties were cut back some.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Use the AA12. It's rape on the level of a crossbow if you use it right. Support is probably the most powerful after SS and commando is nearly as powerful. Firebug, medic, and berserker are trash now by comparison (because they were not buffed).

I, as well, used to play support all the time. I don't think its a drop in power per se but with the edition of the newer weapons after the last update the support loses out in speed. No doubt the support can really deal out damage, but without having the reload speed bonus of the sharp shooter or to a lessor extent the commando it just doesn't keep up as well anymore. The VAST majority of us who use support all know the feeling of getting caught reloading (a VERY LONG reload by the way, regardless of the weapon: aa12, shotgun or hunting shottie) then get surrounded and its over that quick. Everyone has had that inopportune reloading; however, perks such as sharpshooter and commando recover MUCH faster than the support.

So long story short the punch is still there but you can't put out the damage as fast as the sharpshooter (especially) and the commando.

*Also I believe at one point the penetration power of the shotties were cut back some.

You guys are probably right.

And I'd love to see what they come up to improve Firebug and Berserker, they need some nice new weapons.

I think the Medic is already pretty good with the MP7, but I can't help but feel that it lacks something more useful against Zeds, not to kill, but to hold back.

Upvote 0
Does anybody else feel like the shotgun doesn't seem to hurt gorefasts a lot of the time? This is really devastating on suicidal, when you can't reliably destroy or even slow down a gorefast with 1 well aimed, precious shot it makes the shotgun more or less worthless, since every wave will throw hordes of gorefasts at you. And they kill you in two hits max.

Ahem. Support? I think the trick is to couple the best shotgun you can afford with another good weapon, so you don't get caught reloading. Yes, commando reloads faster, and whatever advantage SS has, but support gets to carry more. You just need to pick the right kit out to make the most of it.

Upvote 0
Does anybody else feel like the shotgun doesn't seem to hurt gorefasts a lot of the time? This is really devastating on suicidal, when you can't reliably destroy or even slow down a gorefast with 1 well aimed, precious shot it makes the shotgun more or less worthless, since every wave will throw hordes of gorefasts at you. And they kill you in two hits max.

Ahem. Support? I think the trick is to couple the best shotgun you can afford with another good weapon, so you don't get caught reloading. Yes, commando reloads faster, and whatever advantage SS has, but support gets to carry more. You just need to pick the right kit out to make the most of it.

As people said in this thread, to not ignore your weaknesses...

I mean, carrying two shotungs is stupid?

I do it all the time :p.

Upvote 0
Use the AA12. It's rape on the level of a crossbow if you use it right. Support is probably the most powerful after SS and commando is nearly as powerful. Firebug, medic, and berserker are trash now by comparison (because they were not buffed).

now now now, do not put medic in the same boat as firebug/berserker. Medic may lack the raw damage, but the dot&survivability is what makes medic key. Hell i know for a fact that i've survived past first wave with level 5 medic on suicidal only because i can outrun the zeds. The speed is key, especially on westlondon, out running them zeds to grab a few weps is so so key. also medic is especially useful for its speed on poundamonium hehe, easily outrun those big ol' fp's to find a few bullups and couple of axes to take them out.. though if you're unlucky enough to get clipped on a door and stuck you're screwed x.x

Upvote 0
Yep, level 5/6 support is monstrous, especially when you get hold of the AA12. The normal shotgun can penetrate around 4-5 clots (possibly more) in 1 shot. Chews them up. The LAW seems more powerful too, the splash damage has been greatly increased IMO.

I didn't know Support had a bonus for the LAW.

I thought that was Demolitions territory. :D

Upvote 0
I didn't know Support had a bonus for the LAW.

I thought that was Demolitions territory. :D

I'm afraid not, can't see it in the KFMod.KFVetSupportSpec at least.

Code:
static function int AddDamage(KFPlayerReplicationInfo KFPRI, KFMonster Injured, KFPawn DamageTaker, int InDamage, class<DamageType> DmgType)
{
	if ( DmgType == class'DamTypeShotgun' || DmgType == class'DamTypeDBShotgun' || DmgType == class'DamTypeAA12Shotgun' )
	{
		if ( KFPRI.ClientVeteranSkillLevel == 0 )
		{
			return float(InDamage) * 1.10;
		}

return InDamage * (1.00 + (0.10 * float(KFPRI.ClientVeteranSkillLevel))); // Up to 60% more damage with Shotguns
	}
But it's not in the KFMod.KFVetDemolitions either, so I don't think there's any dmg increaser for it. But the Supportspec gives it extra ammo tho.

(As always, correct me if I'm wrong)

Upvote 0
Medic may lack the raw damage, but the dot&survivability is what makes medic key
The godly tier has good weapons and perk bonuses. (SS, Support, Commando)
The midteir is damage bonuses but mid-range weapons. (Firebug, Berserker, Demo-man)
The crap tier is no damage bonus and no decent perk weapons. (Medic)

The survivability is amazing but if you get mobbed it doesn't matter. The healing is nice but the loss in dps can mean the difference between surviving and losing. But since the game is so easy anymore and their are still damage options available for medic (crossbow and such), it really doesn't matter
But it's not in the KFMod.KFVetDemolitions either, so I don't think there's any dmg increaser for it. But the Supportspec gives it extra ammo tho.
LAW used to be shotgun damage but it is currently being reported as explosive damage (you gain perk leveling with it) but as you see it is not being reported in demo-man's perk bonuses either.

Upvote 0