• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SteamworksHOP?

Now I'm not an expert on the subject of Steamworkshop and all, but afaik it's a sort of hub for aquiring mods and content for certain games that have it. Like Skyrim and TF2, you can download mods, weapons, models and all that.

I think it'd be pretty awesome if there was someway to adapt it to RO2. Make it easier for players to get community made maps, and upcoming mods like Rising Storm, In Country:Vietnam, and even future models and weapons made by the community.

I don't exactly know how steamworkshop works though. And I don't know how it's even possible, but what do you guys think? It'd sure be easier to depend on this forum and other sites to get modding content, when it's (maybe) possible to just make it available via what everyone used to buy/update the game, Steam.

Thought? Info? Cause really I don't know how this works .__.

EDIT: SORRY. I ment SteamworkSHOP. changed everything in the thread, again, sorry.

Last edited:
Unnecessary if you ask me. RO2 barely has any custom content. The workshop is only available for two of the most popular game anyway and let's not compare the steam stats of RO2 to Skyrim/TF2. ;)

Well I wasn't intending to compare, and yeah I know it's probably a huge shot due to the fact that the two games that use it get 20,000+ players a day.

I was just thinking simplicity wise, it's just that not much custom content is being used or even made cause only the select people on the forum know about it (if they even browse the modding section). At least advertise where to get custom content or put it in the game itself as an update, cause the small amount of maps and mutators we have here on the forums are absolutely lovely, and it'd be sweet if more servers could know about it/run it too.

Upvote 0
The reason they've stated as to why it's not supported for l4d2 yet is because of file size, ro2 maps seem to be around the same file size as a left 4 dead campaign.

I just checked, my map size for my L4D2 maps folder is 800MB roughly, and Red October Factory is around 250MB.

I know it's a different game, different engine yadayada, but sheesh.

Also, can you provide a source of some sort boogda? Just wondering. I still think there should be some sort of simpler more publicised way to aquire and browse mods, maps, and mutators for this game. Hell it'll maybe even make the game a bit more active in the modding scene.

Upvote 0
LordGleedo made a custom content download program that uses a few redirect servers to feed it custom maps etc.

I have a copy and a little instruction video on this website www.aussienzro2.com

Basically it lets you get any of the custom maps at any time and downloads them 'generally' to the correct spot in your steam folder.

Not the full solution you are after but someway there.

My crappy instructions video RO2 Cache Extractor Install Video - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I wasn't intending to compare, and yeah I know it's probably a huge shot due to the fact that the two games that use it get 20,000+ players a day.

I was just thinking simplicity wise, it's just that not much custom content is being used or even made cause only the select people on the forum know about it (if they even browse the modding section). At least advertise where to get custom content or put it in the game itself as an update, cause the small amount of maps and mutators we have here on the forums are absolutely lovely, and it'd be sweet if more servers could know about it/run it too.

Well first of all, TWI would have to find out what's causing all the issues with custom maps before any server admins would be willing to upload the custom maps (except you Mike Nomad). If the maps on your map rotation are unstable/broken, people are just gonna stop playing on your server. Also, since all the server admins (once again, except you Mike nomad) are not including the custom maps on their servers, what's the point in even "wasting your time" to make a map that barely anyone will play. :(

If there would be an integration of the workshop with one of Tripwire's game at this point, it would have to be KF. RO2 has under 10 custom maps and less than 5 mutators. Killing Floor has over 700 maps and 75 mutators. :eek:

Upvote 0