• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Static meshes: KV-1 and KV-2

Siegertyp

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2012
Since I like the atmosphere of tank wrecks in a war game, I want to try to create static meshes of a KV-1 and a KV-2. They are meant to be freely useable by all level creators who want to add them to their RO2-maps.

In order to lower expectations: it may take time to finish these tanks. In fact, it due to time constraints they may not be ready for some months. These tanks will not be driveable, they are intended to be static meshes only, they do not have interiors. (Just in case someone will complain he's been promised driveable KV's by tomorrow.) :)

To me, these KV tanks offer one big advantage: many components of the series are shared, essentially only the turrets differ. Hull and wheels of early KV-1 and late KV-2 are basically the same, except for some extra armour.

Here is my work so far: low poly versions of both tanks without tracks:

Both tanks have roughly 760.000 Polys each.

Since I am new to modelling for SDK or UDK, I want to ask some questions which may become critical obstacles. After clearing that I can proceed to creating high-poly models for the normal maps.

First of all: is the polycount of 760.000 O.K. for low poly in SDK, or is it already too high? If it is too high, how many polys are the limit for comparable objects?

I would like the turret to be rotatable by the level creator, so that if he places the tank on his map, he can decide where to turn the gun according to his scenario. Is that possible if I model a simple bone structure between hull and turret?

I plan on including two 2048 x 2048px bitmaps (and two normal and specular each): one for the hull, tracks and wheels of both tanks, one for the turret and armour of both tanks. Is that how you would do that, or are there more practical ways to approach UV mapping of two models with shared components?

Certainly other questions will arise in the process, I'll ask them as they pop up.

Thanks.

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Doh I was planning on making a KV-1, you beat me to it!

760K polys would have been ridiculously hight for a low poly, I'm glad you found it was an error!

With regards to rotating the turret, personally I would just include 2 separate meshes, the hull and the turret to achieve that.

And as for the textures, looking at the P4 and T34 meshes (exterior/static mesh versions), there is a material for the tracks, and one for the main tank. To save you a lot of work, it is probably best to UV map the KV2 first since it has the larger turret/poly faces and will take up more UV space than the KV1 turret. Then use the base of that texture for the KV-1 texture, and update the turret. That leaves you with 3 unique textures.

Or you could create one texture for everything except the tracks and turret, and have a separate one for the turrets as you suggested. That leaves you with 4 unique textures, but the turret ones could be lower in size.

Good luck on completing these, they look great!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the encouragement.

Will, I like the SdKfz 222 you are producing, I already collected info and plans to model one myself before I saw your model. I'll take a look at the existing tank meshes.

Currently I'm making a few adjustments to the models, the second half of the week is dedicated to the tracks. The low poly versions could be ready at the end of the week. I'll then start high poly modelling and figure out what steps to take after that.

Upvote 0
Blitzk.-Bob, let me know how Tripwire can help!

We would love to see the 222 and the KV-1 and 2 get in game!

Nice to hear something from Tripwire :)
At the moment we're 3 guys working on our first vehicle for Red Orchestra 2.
We're looking for someone with experience in making sounds for our vehicles and also a second one with modeling skills.

It would be great to work together with Tripwire, especially with the UnrealCode.

We are going to provide some screenshots from our first vehicle soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I already started working on a KV1 turret :D
KV1_progress2.jpg

Upvote 0
End of the week, target met so far:

Finished low poly modelling, here are the results:

Except for the tracks, it may not look like there has been changed much, but I cleaned up the meshes, reworked some parts and added detail where I was not satisfied with the previous version. Though intended as statics they are now modelled with the possibility in mind to be used as basis for driveable tanks.

The next steps will be a bit slower, I'll do some high poly modelling to get decent normal maps and I'll have to UV unwrap the models. Minor adjustments to the LP meshes may have to be made. Painting the textures may be more fun, but I want to try methods that are new to me yet.

Perhaps I will import the LP models into SDK to look for any mistakes in the meshes, I'll have to watch some tutorials first because I never really used UDK or SDK.

If anyone notices any kind of trouble I might encounter or knows shortcuts that may ease my work with these models please feel free to give me your criticism or advice.

Btw., Szeder, that's a really fine looking turret! Also a good job researching about the interior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Short progress report, no pictures this time:

finished high poly modeling the common components for the tanks like hull, wheels, tracks, periscopes, etc. Finished the hp modeling of the KV-2 turret.

Decided to change the KV-1 gun and turret front to a 1941 version F-32 gun. Otherwise the "historical accuracy" argument would arise since I am using the 1941 wheels. That gun can be seen on a photo of a KV-1 in Stalingrad. LP model of the turret done, preparing to do hp work. The gun switch also makes the next step possible:

Decided to add a third version: the KV-1 e, the up-armored KV with the characteristic bolted-on extra armor. Collected reference material, hull armor (lp) done, preparing to work on the turret.

Two thirds of the modeling process is done, I think. Further progress will be delayed a week because I take a short vacation. I plan on having the models ready to unwrap in a fortnight, pictures of them will be posted then. After that I'll watch a few tutorials before unwrapping and texturing the tanks.

shadowwill, thanks for the link!

Upvote 0
I put the KV-2 on hold because I am working on a Sd.Kfz. 251 in the vehicle mod team. A useable troop carrier is more important right now than statics. However, after the 251 and a few of its variants and after another vehicle I plan on finishing the destroyed mesh of the KV-2, because I still want to see more variety on the battlefield.

For news on the KV-1 keep looking at this post: [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=83586[/URL]

Chances are that you will be able to drive the KV-1.

By the way, people with some experience in scripting, animating and modelling are always welcome, as it will help us to create content even faster.

Upvote 0
Actually, I decided to finish the destroyed KV-2. After all, it would be a waste of time to just put aside a nearly finished model. And it is a good practice run for similar tasks with other vehicles.

Here is the unwrapped model with an early ambient occlusion map, it helps to locate small items on the diffuse map.

Upvote 0
That looks fantastic. :) Let me know when you finish it so I can put it in the map I'm working on.

Do you plan on including slogans in the base texture? I know that's how TWI does their wrecks, but I was thinking it might be better for the mappers (and easier for you) if they were left plain so they can customize the slogan themselves via decal actors. The same goes for the numbers.

Upvote 0
Since this work is parallel to another one, it may take three weeks. Some high poly parts will have to be baked into the normal map before I do the final ambient occlusion and the diffuse map. But I'll notify you when it is ready. If you need the untextured model as a dummy to see how it works on the map let me know.

Good suggestion on the decals and the numbers, I will leave the map plain.

Upvote 0