• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Leader with a Bolt Action

Authenticity aside, I'm a squad leader and I want a bolt action. Maybe squad leaders never carried bolts in Stalingrad, but let's put that aside and realize this is a game. I like playing the squad leader role and I like bolt rifles the best.

What I usually do is wait around for one of my bolt-toting squad mates to spawn by me, whack him, and take his rifle.

Kidding! But really, let the bolt action be a choice for the squad leader or I might just do it.

I would love to see this added for 2 reasons

1: People wouldn't pick the SL for a automatic weapon then ignore their duties as a SL.I have seen people get SL spots just for the autos even tho 2 SL's had empty squads.This is a problem on smaller servers and clan matches more so.

2: It would limit the amount of auto's vs bolts which for me is already a problem.Historically speaking each team should have at least 50% bolts this would also bring the pace of the game down and more like ro1.I remember some maps in OST only had a couple assault slots.Some maps its fine I guess to have lots of autos but not every map we need more riflemen maps!

Also I think it would be cool if commanders only had pistols lol they get tons of kills with arty anyway and it would be realistic like in this pic.

Russian%20soldiers%201941%20Varoshilovgrad.jpg

Upvote 0
I have seen people get SL spots just for the autos

Totally guilty of this. After all, there are more squad leader slots than assault, so.... I'm not saying I'm proud of this fact, but on Apartments, for example, I usually prefer the autos, and usually it's only squad leader slots that I can find open.

Upvote 0
I would love to see this added for 2 reasons

1: People wouldn't pick the SL for a automatic weapon then ignore their duties as a SL.I have seen people get SL spots just for the autos even tho 2 SL's had empty squads.This is a problem on smaller servers and clan matches more so.

2: It would limit the amount of auto's vs bolts which for me is already a problem.Historically speaking each team should have at least 50% bolts this would also bring the pace of the game down and more like ro1.I remember some maps in OST only had a couple assault slots.Some maps its fine I guess to have lots of autos but not every map we need more riflemen maps!

Also I think it would be cool if commanders only had pistols lol they get tons of kills with arty anyway and it would be realistic like in this pic.

Russian%20soldiers%201941%20Varoshilovgrad.jpg

lol that would be awsome if SL only had a pistol

Upvote 0
I would love it if SLs had bolt rifle options. I prefer the bolt action but I also really like playing SL (or commander if noone else dares take the position). In fact every class ought to have the option of the bolt rifle. It might even raise the number of players on the team using the weapon.

Upvote 0
lol that would be awsome if SL only had a pistol

I actually like to drop my MP40/PPSH when I play commander. Nothing makes me feel more badass then getting interupted at the radio by a pair of enemies or a cry for help at a defensive spot, running over, plugging some guys and heading back to the radio after. One thing though, I think SL should have an option for a bolt-action, the reason being that if you wanted to be realistic, German NCO's would get smg's and not the Russians, then there'd be a cry for inbalance. At least you can have a middle of the road so SL's can have a rifle.

Upvote 0
Yes! Great suggestion... I'd love a bolt-action as a squad leader, or as an engineer for that matter...

They may have had the option to take the SMGs issued to them, but there are instances of NCOs in many World War II armies choosing to carry rifles like their lesser enlisted men.

Upvote 0
I don't know why they don't have bolt actions as an option... I am pretty sure they did in Red Orchestra 1!

I pick squad leader for the automatic weapon when no other slots are open, however if someone complains that I am not being a good squad leader, I change to a rifleman to let them take over. I use smoke, and point out artillery when asked to by the commander, but I never do anything beyond that.

Upvote 0