• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound. an important part of the experiance.

Welcome_To_Hell

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2007
Sound is incredibly important in the gameplay experience and immersion.

1) Make gunfire and explosion sounds louder and sharper. More like "Pop's" and "Bang's" instead of conventional pew pew sounds.

2) Gunfire sounds heard from across the map. All the distant gunfire sounds from player fired weapons need to be heard, and echoed

3) Add a client side option for bullet "Crack" instead of bullet "Whizz" when bullets fly by the player.

4) Echoes for all the sounds. There needs to be clear distinction from sounds coming from in doors, a patch of trees or an open field.

5) Echo of your own gun sound and all other gun sounds/explosion. After hearing the initial sharp "bang" of firing own rifle, hearing the delayed "pop" moments later (Sound boncing off environment and coming back to the shooter)

IMHO BattleField Bad Company 2 has superb sound modeling in most of these areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix Ostheim
RO: OST has even better sounds than BFBC2 if you have an X-Fi card. And good speakers/headphones of course.

In my opinion, no. While Ost definitely has stellar sounds, BC 2 just takes it up a notch. The thing I like in BC 2 is that when something really loud happens near you (like an explosion), all other sounds get quieter for a moment. Kind of like tone-mapped (or HDR) sound scape.

Edit: Those videos above are recorded with hand held video cameras, do you really think they record the sound as it really is? No, they don't. They have really crappy microphones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice! What always annoyed me was that the Kar98k's sound in the mod was much more powerful than in Ost. It had a hell of a bang just like the nagant in the mod had one too.

And just btw you see how those guys pull the charging handle on the MP40? There's no need for the ****ing safety animation in Ost and sadly now too in HoS. Get it out!:mad: You can just pull back the handle just like with the PPSh, except the charging handle will snap in place with an open bolt.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, no. While Ost definitely has stellar sounds, BC 2 just takes it up a notch. The thing I like in BC 2 is that when something really loud happens near you (like an explosion), all other sounds get quieter for a moment. Kind of like tone-mapped (or HDR) sound scape.

I'm a big fan of implementing temporary deafness. It should add to the all-important immersion. Grenades, cannon fire, even sustained small arms fire that's going off close to your head.

People don't realize just how loud most of these battle rifles are. Often when I take my Mosin 91/30 to the range, I'm on the line with people shooting .223 (5.56 NATO) and the like. After the first shot from the Mosin, someone will always ask me "what the heck IS that thing?" The Kar98k is similarly loud. I have to imagine several soliders firing away with these things, not to mention a MG ripping off a hundred rounds, would muffle your hearing for a bit.

Perhaps each shot fired within, say, 5 meters or so (including your own rifle) should muffle your hearing by X amount, to some limit. For gameplay purposes, it should recover fairly quickly.

From first hand experience shooting shotgun and rifle without hearing protection, I know this is fairly realistic.

Upvote 0
Edit: Those videos above are recorded with hand held video cameras, do you really think they record the sound as it really is? No, they don't. They have really crappy microphones.
Yes, well having served in the Norwegian military for a year (as we all do over here), I can tell you that those sounds are very accurate. Especially the mp40 one. Sure the quality of the sound is crappy, but the video still gives you the right picture as to how a weapon really sound like when firing.

The thing is that weapon sounds in RO, and most other games, are just not high pitch enough. The weapons sound dumbed down and too pew-pew ish. Even most movies do this mistake. This is probably to protect players/viewers ears, but it’s still unrealistic. A compromise must be found.

Oh, and +1 to what both you and Logisticearth said: simulated defness would really add to both imersion and gameplay

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, well having served in the Norwegian military for a year (as we all do over here), I can tell you that those sounds are very accurate. Especially the mp40 one. Sure the quality of the sound is crappy, but the video still gives you the right picture as to how a weapon really sound like when firing.

The thing is that weapon sounds in RO, and most other games, are just not high pitch enough. The weapons sound dumbed down and too pew-pew ish. Even most movies do this mistake. This is probably to protect players/viewers ears, but it’s still unrealistic. A compromise must be found.

Oh, and +1 to everything Logisticearth said. Simulated defness would really add to both imersion and gameplay

Yes, I have server one year in the finnish defence forces (as we all do here) too so I know the sound of a rifle firing (though I prefer watching 152mm arty shells hitting something), but I was just saying that in those videos they sound like "pop pop pop", to me at least. Especially that MP40 vid.

But anyway, I agree that the sound pitch in RO:Ost could've been a tad higher.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Another youtube video showing some real life firefights. These are taken with a high quality camera. Listen to the very distinguishable high-pitch bullets cracks and echos, also some cool grenade explosion sounds in there. Of course, these guys use modern weapons, but still...

YouTube - Canadian forces fire fight!

Love your videos btw flogger. Those are of high quality sound wise, and i think they are really represantable. Not sure if real bullets would make as much smoke though, but Im no expert

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm a big fan of implementing temporary deafness. It should add to the all-important immersion. Grenades, cannon fire, even sustained small arms fire that's going off close to your head.

People don't realize just how loud most of these battle rifles are. Often when I take my Mosin 91/30 to the range, I'm on the line with people shooting .223 (5.56 NATO) and the like. After the first shot from the Mosin, someone will always ask me "what the heck IS that thing?" The Kar98k is similarly loud. I have to imagine several soliders firing away with these things, not to mention a MG ripping off a hundred rounds, would muffle your hearing for a bit.

Perhaps each shot fired within, say, 5 meters or so (including your own rifle) should muffle your hearing by X amount, to some limit. For gameplay purposes, it should recover fairly quickly.

From first hand experience shooting shotgun and rifle without hearing protection, I know this is fairly realistic.

that does depend on the weapon. I was at the range with a friend who had a really weird muzzle break on his .223, on the other side of me was somone with my enfield. I can honestly say my right and left ear were about equally deaf after they both fired ( and i subsequently got some ear protection).

Barring muzzle breaks, yeah these old war guns do make a nice bang... :D
(which reminds me I cant wait to see what my SVT makes in terms of noise)

edit:

As an aside on many of these guns its possible to notice further smoke escaping the chamber / barrel / bottom of mag when the weapon is being fired and after being fired, it would be nice to see this ingame..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys are comparing compressed sounds from a youtube video to actual sounds in the field......
I'm not an audiophile and my ears are ruined from too much shelling and too many Led Zeppelin concerts, but even I recognize the poor quality of the sound. Not a fair comparison at all, imo.

Quality of the camera has little to do with the quality of the sound...

Case in point...
Great camera image and footage, but if you think this sounds anything remotely like it did live......well, I can't help you :p..

YouTube - Wont Get Fooled Again

Upvote 0
I agree.

I know these are blanks, but the sound should be similar to real ammo:

Notice how they sound very different when you are standing beside or next to it. Would love to hear the difference in HoS as well.

Also, notice the smoke. I'd really like to see smoke effects like that in HoS.

Having fired both blank 7.62x39mm rounds and live rounds with my trusted RK-62, I have to say that they sound completely different.

Upvote 0
Having fired both blank 7.62x39mm rounds and live rounds with my trusted RK-62, I have to say that they sound completely different.

I'd imagine 7.62x39 sounds different from 7.62x25 and 9x19mm.

I know my 7.62x39 AK sounded very different from 9mm pistols. :p

And then guns will slightly sound different.

If anyone has any experience with the PPSH and MP40, that would help. :D

Upvote 0
I'd imagine 7.62x39 sounds different from 7.62x25 and 9x19mm.

I know my 7.62x39 AK sounded very different from 9mm pistols. :p

And then guns will slightly sound different.

If anyone has any experience with the PPSH and MP40, that would help. :D

Yea but my point was that I don't think 9mm blanks will sound the same as live 9mm ammo.

Upvote 0