• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some very good books

If you want an outstanding WW1 book look into Private Edward Lynch's Somme Mud, this is a recently published account of WW1 through the eyes of an Australian private. He was involved in everything from Paschendale to the 1918 German offensive and subsequent allied counter attack.

It is written in the same sort of style as The Forgotten Soldier, Lynch wrote the book shortly after he returned home but could not find a publisher who would take it so it sat undiscovered until a descendant found it years after his death.

All I can say is this book is truly outstanding and makes me proud of what our Diggers did back then.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
im currently reading A Stranger To Myself, a diary of a young german soldier on the eastern front. only recently was his diary published after being undiscovered for 60 years.
he shows no emotion to what he does, because war has messed his mind up, he amazingly survived 4 deployments but died on his 5th at 23 years old. it goes into detail too about the desperation the soldiers went through, and stuff that would knock u sick doesnt affect them the slightest.
e.g. one soldier couldnt find his boots so went upto a dead russian soldier and tried tugging the boots off his frozen body but couldnt, so got a saw and sawed the legs off and put them next to the oven where they were cooking their food to warm the legs up so he could get the boots off :eek:

http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Myself-Inhumanity-Russia-1941-1944/dp/0374139784

Upvote 0
A couple of my recent WW I /WW II related reads:

Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden. Excellent book about Cree Indians used in WW I as scouts and snipers. Based on the true story of Frances Pegamegabo (sp?), a Cree Indian credited with killing over 375 Germans and taking more than 200 prisoners. This book surpasses Findley's The Wars as Canada's best WW I novel and is in the same league as All Quiet on the Western Front.

One to avoid: Vasily Grossman: A Writer at War edited by Antony Beevor. This is a major disappointment, as Beevor's previous work was pretty good and Grossman was one of the SU's most widely known front line war correspondents. This is just a mishmash of Grossman's jottings and raw journal notes (as opposed to his finished writings). The result is a random collection of thoughts and impressions with no coherent theme or story. Not worth the time or money.

Upvote 0
Guy Sajers Forgotten soldier, is the best book ive ever read, so many moments. Any other books on par or better than it?
I've stopped reading it at the moment he describes how they survived horious, awful, terrible arty barrage in a fox hole followed with human wave. The way he describes it - that's just boring. It's always epic battles, with super heroic behavior of soldiers. None, absolutely none of parts of this book had touched my heart. In fact, now that I think about it.. Had the guy at all fought at war??

I can recommend the book, which was mentioned by V.Grossman, written by Abdulin.

Upvote 0
Legion of the Damned by Sven Hassel, although probably loosely based on fact, is a hell of a book.

Seven Days in January by Wolf T. Zoepf is also a good read about little known Operation Nordwind, as well as an account of the 6th SS on the Arctic Front. Very good read.

Also, Eastern Approaches by Fitzroy MacLean is a very good book about his experiences in Soviet Russia and Persia before the war, his time with the SAS in the Western Desert, his time with Tito's partisans and many other adventures in MacLean's extraordinary life.

Upvote 0
A couple of my recent WW I /WW II related reads:

Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden. Excellent book about Cree Indians used in WW I as scouts and snipers. Based on the true story of Frances Pegamegabo (sp?), a Cree Indian credited with killing over 375 Germans and taking more than 200 prisoners. This book surpasses Findley's The Wars as Canada's best WW I novel and is in the same league as All Quiet on the Western Front.

One to avoid: Vasily Grossman: A Writer at War edited by Antony Beevor. This is a major disappointment, as Beevor's previous work was pretty good and Grossman was one of the SU's most widely known front line war correspondents. This is just a mishmash of Grossman's jottings and raw journal notes (as opposed to his finished writings). The result is a random collection of thoughts and impressions with no coherent theme or story. Not worth the time or money.

Wish I'd read the review of the Beevor book about a week ago *sigh*.

Upvote 0