• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So how good is Killing Floor 2 right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ OP

Just to be fair and not misunderstood, KF2 is not a bad game. It's a completely differnt game than its predecessor. The mayor differences are that the movement speed is faster and zeds deal way less damage. That results in more chaotic run and gun situations than what is usually survivable in KF1. It's oversaturated with visual effects. Some of them look awesome, others are just clutter that fills up your screen (like those alphaclot rage indicators). The gunplay is top of the line. TWI does make the best guns in video games. Hands down. Although the guns sound partially like a plastic canister gets beaten by a wooden stick. The music is a matter of taste. If you are into christian metal you will love it. Overall it's an arcadey run and gun version of KF1 that was streamlined for the casual audience. It's like that girl you met at that party when you had a couple of beers and the next morning you realize that despite her good looks, she is shallow and gets boring quickly.

@ devs

Show some creativity ffs and bring back interesting game mechanics.

Reactions: clconx
Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2290577 said:
Was there any interesting game mechanics in kf1? Because i honestly cant remember any.
most of what 'pro' Players would (generally) reference to, would be on the lines of Mult-hit Exploits that completely trivialized all Enemies, Et Cetera.

some actual strategies, but far too often for my tastes, 'super advanced strategy' being more of turning off aspects of the game. with rose tinted glasses towards.

Upvote 0
To be honest, the only mechanics from KF1 that I miss are the katana/boomstick combo as a Support and the FP cool down when you break the line of sight.

Well that and Patty seemed more challenging in the first game. :)

The game in general just seems a bit more spam friendly (as Gladius stated). There's just let organized teamwork required to succeed. Maybe a more casual approach was the goal of KF2?

Once I understood this wasn't just the KF1 game with better graphics - which I kind of hoped it would be - I started to like it more. It definitely took a while to reach this acceptance though.

Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2290521 said:
It's forced when it's enabled by default :p

That's certainly one way of looking at it, lol.

One thing i'd say that's not good about KF2 is the welding. For some reason, nobody welds doors as much as KF1. I love holding out behind a welded door. Even moreso when you can demo booby trap it and repair as Support. Somehow, something was lost in translation. Do you even weld bros?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gregs2k2;n2290599 said:
That's certainly one way of looking at it, lol.

One thing i'd say that's not good about KF2 is the welding. For some reason, nobody welds doors as much as KF1. I love holding out behind a welded door. Even moreso when you can demo booby trap it and repair as Support. Somehow, something was lost in translation. Do you even weld bros?

welding doors would be so much more useful if support was able to utilize his welding proficiency at repairing doors, as it stands now repairing doors take far too long than it should be for a lvl 25 support that doing a combo seems pointless due to lack of time repairing needed doors

Upvote 0
Well, Gladius described it very accurately. Thing is, KF1 was a happy accident. Devs unknowingly and unwillingly created something of a sandbox playground for players to experiment with various bugs and game mechanics to achieve hilarious results. An environment consistent in its inconsistency, where people who achieved a certain level of competence had so much edge over the zeds that they could just relax, have fun and come up with creative ways of dispatching big zeds. Which in turn could prove catastrophic, and in a blink of an eye change a mellow evening to a frantic struggle, when half of players die and remaining bunch have to do the work of an entire team.

Ironically, those coding shortcomings was the very thing that kept KF1 community alive through all those years. I played in KF1 almost since its release, and I still see something new now and then to this very day. However, it is clear that KF1 was a very different game for a casual hard difficulty player, which is perfectly summed up by

Yep.
Dealing with scrakes: berserk+katana - stand in front of SC, spam left click.
Against FP: demo+m32 - spam left click/use full magazine.

When TWI was making KF2, as they stated themselves, they tried to "reverse engineer" KF1's strange success. And they totally missed that big chunk which extended KF1 lifespan, apparently. Or just decided to focus entirely on selling points such as graphics/gore and optimizing the casual type of gameplay, which is surely a reasonable business decision. One way or another, after about 300 hrs, I'm through with KF2. There's nothing more for me there. While I still can enjoy KF1, after something about 5K hrs there.

Am I too emotional about KF2? Maybe. I Had real high hopes about it. Bought it on day 1 of EA, and tried my best to help in its development, providing bug reports and (hopefully somewhat constructive) critique on these forums. I really tried to like it, even though I considered its graphical effects and new direction of zed design tacky from the beginning. Gradually, the game kept drifting away from my expectations, and one day I just had enough.

That's why I think it's best to try the game before buying it. Maybe you'll love it. Maybe all it will do is just leave you with a slight distaste after couple of hours.

Upvote 0
Radio4ctive;n2290589 said:
Yep.
Dealing with scrakes: berserk+katana - stand in front of SC, spam left click.
Against FP: demo+m32 - spam left click/use full magazine.

WOW SO DEEP.

if the definition of "deep tactical gameplay" is stun locking the scrake by doing the same thing over and over, i must be crazy. its way more satisfying killing a scrake now with a katana than it was in kf1. you parry, evade, time stumbles, and hitting the head is actually a challenge. he doesnt just stand straight up and keep taking it like some kind of Disney cartoon from the 1950s.

Reactions: taiiat
Upvote 0
oldmidget;n2290608 said:
WOW SO DEEP.

if the definition of "deep tactical gameplay" is stun locking the scrake by doing the same thing over and over, i must be crazy. its way more satisfying killing a scrake now with a katana than it was in kf1. you parry, evade, time stumbles, and hitting the head is actually a challenge. he doesnt just stand straight up and keep taking it like some kind of Disney cartoon from the 1950s.
Katana flinchlock works only on normal and hard difficulty and when this is all what you know about KF1 game mechanics then you have clearly no clue about the combo culture.

Upvote 0
I honestly can't understand what people are talking about kf1's "magic"
My over 300 hours experience was mostly camping a good spot and wining the game on all difficulties.
Just same thing over and over again without any mix, katana vs sc, sharpshooter that can rot in hell stealing all the fun vs big guys, demo that was mostly never played and his only use was ridiculously long to reload m32, commando could deal with anything on its own as in kf2....
There's no magic that kf1 has... broken hitboxes (and i mained medic in sui and hoe)... even from time to time when i decide to go back and play it i get bored half way through the map..... Then only thing i truly miss from kf1 is it's goofynes, bad voice acting that made it good and the voice lines, kf2 tries to be more serious but that what makes it worse imo, just sheer lazyness on recording more voice lines and animations that would improve the game aesthetically like: 3rd person weapon check animation seen in 1st person, and by that i mean accurate, not like for example berserker swinging his hammer when in 1st person he spins it midair and catches back. Zeds instant jumping to the apex of their jump height that just throws the aim off, or their questionable pathing in some maps (for example outpost the truck area where they just go straight into the little wall ramp and just jump instead of going to the side of it.)
And the whole rubberbanding where they teleport attack you from a distance that should not have been possible, or attack before the animation even shows the attack (and no it's not ping related if this happens at 26-48ms)

Everyone just keeps talking about how great kf1 was and all i saw is the exploitable strats like the aforementioned katana stumble on sc, or pay 2 win OP flare revolvers and mk2 zed gun that was such a great derager to use for support and sometimes mando, or just sitting in one spot to win (there are some that played the game by kitting by it's such a small number that it doesn't matter at this point)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Gladius;n2290619 said:
I'm not trying to sound arrogant here but at 300 hours I had no clue either. So far I have 4421 hours in KF1 and people still show me new tricks. I can't say that about KF2. And even the hardcore KF2 fans feel that emptiness late game as you can see in this thread: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...g-to-do-after-you-hit-level-25-with-all-perks
Just remember that it took years for kf1 to have all the content it has now.
And i can say the same thing about feeling emptynes in kf1 after having all perks at lvl 6... there's just nothing to do apart from playing custom maps with mutators (basically same with kf2 only more restrictive)

And tell my ignorant mind, what "new" tricks can there be found in kf1 that are not known already?

Upvote 0
s5yn3t;n2290622 said:
Just remember that it took years for kf1 to have all the content it has now.
I am well aware of that and I'm active at the forums to provide feedback to make the game better. Most of the KF1 combo community simply resignated and accepted that KF2 is not catering what made them play KF1 for several thousand hours. Make a simple test and go over to the KF1 forums. Write down some names and look at their comment history in the KF2 forums. Most of them are gone. I'm kinda alone here. Because I still see the potential the KF2 engine has. The devs are just not using that to it's full potential. And why would they when this new generation of KF2 players is mostly in for the nice grafix with gore and big explosions and hectic action gameplay.

s5yn3t;n2290622 said:
And i can say the same thing about feeling emptynes in kf1 after having all perks at lvl 6... there's just nothing to do apart from playing custom maps with mutators (basically same with kf2 only more restrictive)
KF1 is just a richer table. It starts with the map design. When I play solo I have the choice to hold a position or kite. In KF2 I don't have that decision. When with two players in KF1 we have the decision to hold a position or kite... KF2 holding spots for two players... not so much. The KF2 maps all feel very similar. Because they are all designed to throw fast zeds on the players and push them out of their holding position with gas and all kinds of stuff. In KF1 there is a wide variety of map design that allows a wide spectrum of easy chilled gameplay up to hardcore challenging gameplay. KF2 feels kinda „one size has to fit all“.

And then the game mechanics... You might like KF1 tricks and combos or not, the point is that there is just more to learn and to do than it is in KF2 at the moment. And this has to change. And when people that don't even know what KF1 late game is all about, say here that it's all fine with KF2, this won't help to make the game any better.

s5yn3t;n2290622 said:
And tell my ignorant mind, what "new" tricks can there be found in kf1 that are not known already?
I'm just saying that I don't know everything and I still get surprized by people that show me tricks I have never seen before.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.