• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper rifle scope and sights adjustment

Last one looks more right Chekov, but as floyd hinted at I think, it depends on how it was calibrated to begin with, and you can easily alter it yourself on the range when zeroeing in the rifle & scope.

Bottom line is that I believe that for comforts sake the Russian snipers would make sure that the post started out positioned pretty close to the middle, slightly above at 100 m and probably spot on in the middle at 200 meters and then slightly below at 300 m. Would seem consistent with the praxis of snipers from other countries.

So I think that TWI has got it right as it was demonstrated in the sneak peek videos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, that's exactly how it works :)

guys, when you raise the rear sights, only the sight moves. not the whole rifle..

and FYI, when you adjust say, 100m to 300m, your sight moves barely a milimeter.

sure, in game, that has to be animated. that's where my point about actually adjusting the sight comes in. and not the entire rifle. from chamber down to the barrel..

Upvote 0
guys, when you raise the rear sights, only the sight moves. not the whole rifle..

and FYI, when you adjust say, 100m to 300m, your sight moves barely a milimeter.

sure, in game, that has to be animated. that's where my point about actually adjusting the sight comes in. and not the entire rifle. from chamber down to the barrel..

You're suggesting there should be two separate controls, one for adjusting the sight, and one for adjusting rifle angle? So maybe the mouse wheel for sight, and SHIFT mouse wheel or something for angle?

There isn't any reason you would ever adjust the sights without adjusting the rifle angle. No need to have a separate control since they're always coupled when used properly. That just complicates things for the purpose of complicating things. Not really in TWI design philosophy.

Upvote 0
no what i meant from my earlier post was that the animation looks wrong.
when you adjust the sights, yes, you can say that the sights are stationary and that the barrel angle tilts up.

this tilt is overly animated in the game. it looks like an adjustment from 100m to 1500m.

and in actual fact, i don't think people actually keep their eyes and sights fixed on their targets while adjusting the sight..

Upvote 0
no what i meant from my earlier post was that the animation looks wrong.
when you adjust the sights, yes, you can say that the sights are stationary and that the barrel angle tilts up.

this tilt is overly animated in the game. it looks like an adjustment from 100m to 1500m.

This is much more likely a result of us seeing it on a screen, at a zoomed out FOV with a static head position, than it is any error in the model or animation.

The gun models look accurate, and since the animation shows no sign of the rear sight magically elongating, floating in the air, or clipping through the model, it seems the animation must be also.

But your perception of how clouse an object is to the camera is a bit skewed in a videogame, and that can easilly be why you think it seems the gun gets more angled than it actually does.

and in actual fact, i don't think people actually keep their eyes and sights fixed on their targets while adjusting the sight..

Most probably woulden't, atleast when adjusting a ladder style iron-sight, i personally do not, but this is a video game, and it would be fairly hard to create animations for adjusting them in a different way without needlessly overcomplicating the adjustment system.

I guess the most realistic possible way to do it, is to have some system where you click an "adjustment button" to go into "adjustment mode", and an animation will play where you bring the rifle across your chest and put your right hand on the sight adjustment slider. Then you would need 2 more buttons to adjust it up or down, and finally hit the "adjustment button" to stop adjusting and return the rifle to a combat ready state with it's new sight position.

But that's a pretty clunky game mechanic that would basically lock you into a non-combat state whilst adjusting, that you would need to disengage from also if trouble comes your way.

In reallity, dealing with such things is very easy, holding, pointing and interacting with an object is what humans are designed to do, it's perfectly natural and we don't even need to think about such things, we just perform the needed actions as needed.

In a videogame however, it's pushing buttons on a keyboard, and this is not as streamlined or intuitive a process for us as holding and pointing a stick shaped object, and could lead to frantically trying to find the right button to press if we're supriced by something, instead of a realistically natural response of just performing the needed action.

Ergo, the current system in HoS may actually be the functionally more realistic option, because it's easy to perform and would be in reallity aswell, even though visually, it's not as realistic as my above mentioned system.

Upvote 0