• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Single Player Campaign

There have been a few good long discussions about single player in the past, Im sure if you search you can come up with a few.

To paraphrase what I remember from those threads the single player wont be a huge blockbuster style single player with an 'uber epic storyline' and one main character who, of course, saves the world( COD campaign). Instead the player will play as many different people operating as a squad trying to take given objectives.

I'll search around and see If I can find the particular thread about it, the developers did a much better job explaining what they were aiming for in the single player.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I have looked in a few other threads and nobody seems sure whether there is a full blown campaign or just the MP maps with bots.

I understand that this game is mainly geared towards multiplayer and I will buy it for that purpose if its good. But I also enjoy a good SP campaign , somehow it makes you feel like you are getting your moneys worth.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I have looked in a few other threads and nobody seems sure whether there is a full blown campaign or just the MP maps with bots.

I understand that this game is mainly geared towards multiplayer and I will buy it for that purpose if its good. But I also enjoy a good SP campaign , somehow it makes you feel like you are getting your moneys worth.
The TWI devs have stated that the SP won't just be MP maps with bots, and that there will be more. It won't be a super scripted campaign but will feature the player commanding troops and completing objectives around the battle of Stalingrad. That said, the devs are very tight lipped on this at the moment.

It has also been confirmed that you can play the SP campaign on both Russian and German sides and that you can also play both in coop. This is in ADDITION to the Skirmish Mode, which is basically a quick game with bots in the format of a Rainbow 6 style "terrorist hunt," which you can also play in coop.

Upvote 0
If SP quality is of great importance to you, this may not be the game for you. SP, per Ramm's show comments, is more of a 'training ground' environment to allow those new to the game to get used to movement, weapons, etc. There is no real story, or campaign progression.

The focus has been on MP quality and reasonable 'realism'.

Upvote 0
If SP quality is of great importance to you, this may not be the game for you. SP, per Ramm's show comments, is more of a 'training ground' environment to allow those new to the game to get used to movement, weapons, etc. There is no real story, or campaign progression.

The focus has been on MP quality and reasonable 'realism'.
This may be true but the devs also stated that they will tell us more about SP in the future. I wouldn't put it past them to have some tricks up their sleeves.

That said, of course RO2 is mostly about the multiplayer, and in any case the SP will certainly play the smaller role.

Upvote 0
The TWI devs have stated that the SP won't just be MP maps with bots, and that there will be more.

Indeed, though that will still exist i belive, as in there will be a "practice mode" where you can just play the MP maps against bots if you want (which is what they have been using when showcasing the game at conventions, so that's obviously there, we've seen it).

The SP Campaign will be something else though, it won't just be the practice mode, but we have allmost no details about it, TWI wants to reveal it at a later date, and have been tight lipped about it thus far.

A few things we do know, however:

There will be 2 campaigns, IE, you can play it from either side, as Russian or German.

The campaign will use the same maps as the MP, or possibly slightly altered versions of them, which means it will take place in Stalingrad, and we can expect that we will be fighting from one end of the city to the next, possibly with a tank map somewhere in there.

There is no one protagonist, RO is a game where you can die from a single bullet, and there's no health-regen, so it would be neigh impossible to do it that way.
Instead we will be following a squad and not a single soldier, and if you die, you will take over another soldier of that squad. But if the whole squad is wiped out, it's game over.

But there's much more we don't know, of course, so we'll just have to wait and see.

But on the face of it, i think we can expect the SP campaign to play more like the Campaigns from the old Rainbow-6 and SWAT games, and not so much like the Call of Duty games.

That's just an educated guess though, not cold hard fact, so take it with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0
"Instead we will be following a squad and not a single soldier, and if you die, you will take over another soldier of that squad. But if the whole squad is wiped out, it's game over."

sounds like the original ghost recon! i wonder if we can switch between squad members without dying?

mmmm id hope so, im sure there would be time when you needed to take out an mg or sniper, at a distance. though i think it maybe should be limited swaps what way you need to make tactical decisions when to do it.

Upvote 0
mmmm id hope so, im sure there would be time when you needed to take out an mg or sniper, at a distance. though i think it maybe should be limited swaps what way you need to make tactical decisions when to do it.

I'd rather have unlimited swaps unless the squad commanding system can be on the micro side, target designation, priority targets, etc, and not just placing your troops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sounds like the original ghost recon! i wonder if we can switch between squad members without dying?

Yeah it definately seems very Ghost-Recon/Rainbow6, and i think that's the sort of campaign feel they will go for, just more combat focused, not so much stealth.

As for switching guy at will, i doubt it, seems that'd make it too easy, but i dont know, maybe? Maybe not? Only TWI knows at this point.

Upvote 0
I like to be able to switch between characters at will.
It makes it a lot easier to control the AI.
Rather than click him somewhere he doesn't want to go... or goes there and faces the opposite direction to what you need.
It's nice to be able to place them all as you most want them, manually as the need arises. Cuts out a lot of the AI micromanagement probs.

I'm certainly on the same page as other people here as to what it is I hope for from this SP/Coop.

Ghost Recon stlyed gameplay, is exactly what I seek.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah it definately seems very Ghost-Recon/Rainbow6, and i think that's the sort of campaign feel they will go for, just more combat focused, not so much stealth.

As for switching guy at will, i doubt it, seems that'd make it too easy, but i dont know, maybe? Maybe not? Only TWI knows at this point.
Well Mr. Wilson did say that the SP was more focused on combat groups rather than individuals. In fact, he said at one point that he thought it would be silly for a soldier to be able to do all this stuff and live through the entire battle.

What I got from that was that you'll have a squad to work with and won't lose until everyone is dead.

Upvote 0
I'm certainly on the same page as other people here as to what it is I hope for from this SP/Coop.

Ghost Recon stlyed gameplay, is exactly what I seek.

Yeah i'm looking forward to it as well, a GR style campaign, but with more combat emphasis, that sounds mighty good to me! And i both think and hope that is what we're getting, the signs seem to point in that direction i'd say (and it would make a lot of sense doing it that style, considdering the kind of game Ro is).

The big question then becomes: Will the AI be up to snuff?

Now that one's much trickier, because we haven't seen them in action, not really, only "work in progress" AI code, set to very easy difficulty, that the dev's are telling us is far from finished yet, and is beeing intentionally dumbed down for demonstration purposes (so they can show off the game live, without dying every few seconds or having to rely too much on God-mode).

But in some of the very first photage we saw (the first stuff from PAX 2010), they where reportedly not dumbed down, and actually seemed OK, better than what we've seen since despite beeing even less finished back then, so there is reason for cautios optimism i'd say.

Well Mr. Wilson did say that the SP was more focused on combat groups rather than individuals. In fact, he said at one point that he thought it would be silly for a soldier to be able to do all this stuff and live through the entire battle.

What I got from that was that you'll have a squad to work with and won't lose until everyone is dead.

I think we can considder that confirmed, the way he said it, he made it very clear that was how it will be, i didn't detect any "maybe's" in the way he stated it, it sounded like "this is the plan, this is what we're doing".

Upvote 0
Normally, I would take a decent playable AI as a given for any game on the Unreal engine.

However, I played RO and I have to say this proved to be the exception to the rule. Confirmed for me will be as it always is with games developments... seeing is believing. what they want to do, what they are able to do, what they have the time and budget to do... what they have the in house skills to do well....
WIP. I'll let them finish first and then work it all out.

This game is certainly on my radar but PvP alone doesn't float my boat for very long.
In my opinion all the pieces are there for a classic tac shooter... as long as this part is something they really care about creating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Instead we will be following a squad and not a single soldier, and if you die, you will take over another soldier of that squad. But if the whole squad is wiped out, it's game over.

Personally, I hope that the soldiers in those squads won't just be faceless AI. It's quite crucial to attach emotion to the AI in the SP campaign, to really make the player feel attached to his soldiers. In Jagged Alliance 2 for example, I can become very attached to my units, because some of them not only have great abilities but also have a high cost as well as a unique personality. So if my best mercenary dies or leaves because his contract ends, it sucks. I hope the AI in RO2 will be represented somewhat similarly. This is a game about one of the bloodiest battles in human history, after all.

Upvote 0