• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Simple 3DS Max question

Catalavos

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore, MD
What do I need to do to get nice, crisp mitered corners where 2 perpendicular edges meet? I'm making my building shells out of "box" primatives and have issues with the way materials get applied where 2 box edges meet (the short side compresses the material and it the pattern doesn't match the long side).

After looking at game assets I saw that all the TWI models have mitered edges, which I can't figure out how to make without going through a 30-click process. There must be an easier way.

In the SDK can you not just select the buildings faces (may as well select all rather than just the relevant 2) then right click into surface properties. then under alignment (middle-left) select planar, then apply. Can't remember if this auto matches the "Scaling" too, if not alter that too (just above alignment) as that looks like the issue in the SS, apologies if that isn't it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could you post some screenshots of the geometry in Max? (edged faces)

Also try to apply a UVW unwrap modifier on top of what you currently have (edit poly/edit mesh). Then click on the modifier, look for open UV editor. The UV editor should appear. Now look at the top and click on "Mapping". A pop-up menu will appear and open the drop-down menu and click on "Box mapping", now click on ok.

capturexzkk.jpg

Upvote 0
ah apologies, yeah, the UDK ss fooled me : P

As an alternative to Olivier response you can select selected all the sides like in your ss click on mapping flatten mapping, maybe that's why the textures are different scales, or at least that's how it appears.

You could also stitch together certain certain faces to ensure the material transitions perfectly between them?

I'm trying at least, hopefully that's a bit closer to helping than my last response ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0