• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Seeing through Smoke

hardcore

Feb 10, 2007
Want to spot a hacker from a mile away?

Just pop some smoke, or find some just popped (preferably near, but not right on top of the action), and then go prone right in the middle of it.

If you get shot and killed by a single bullet...well, you know the reset.

Specifically:

Yesterday I was playing apartments with a buddy. We were Allies and were coming up the right side bridge. Another SL had just popped smoke right on top of the bridge. So as we came around the corner from the starting spawn, we both crouched and sprinted to the disabled truck on the bridge, where we immediately went prone right in the middle of the thick, freshly popped smoke. About 5 seconds later - BANG, BANG - both myself and my buddy were killed with one shot each to the head by a rifleman.

I thought "WTF?? How could he see me in that smoke". So I asked on global chat how he saw us. His response was basically that he was above us (presumably in the third floor of the apartments across the street).

So I ran back there again, to the exact spot where I was, went prone and started looking around. From that vantage point, I had NO line of sight to the windows, as the truck was blocking. So I then proceeded to run up to the second and third floor windows, had my buddy lay in smoke the way we were, and guess what? I could NOT see him at all, but until a good 20 seconds passed and the smoke finally started clearing - but even then, barely.

So, in general, is this some form of graphical setting that is actually putting me at a disadvantage to where I can't see through smoke? Or is this a pretty good indication someone may be using a wall hack?

Granted, I can understand someone blindly shooting into smoke because they assume that troops will be moving through or near it. But these kills I mentioned above (and other cases as well) seem to be very precise shots and not a repeated firing of a rifle, or massive unloading of an SMG/MG.

i was an axis on station yesterday.. i ran over to the ruins, where someone had popped some smoke. i could hear russians.. and then, in the smoke, i could see the shape of a russian squad leader, squatting beside a window. all i could see was his shape, but, his hat gave him away (i'm about 10' from him, too).. so i blasted him, i wonder if he thought i was cheating? i wonder if he could see my shape? sometimes i get frustrated by something like this, but, i have to wonder exactly what they see on their screens.. i have no doubt that people cheat. it's the last thing i think of for my failures, though. i never assume someone is cheating, unless there is no shadow of a doubt that they are.. my wife hears me complaining and she always says, maybe theyre cheating.. i usually say.. maybe they are, but, i think i just did the wrong thing or nah im just not on my game.. i try to give people the benefit of doubt, but, it's hard to sometimes.. real hard..

Upvote 0
i was an axis on station yesterday.. i ran over to the ruins, where someone had popped some smoke. i could hear russians.. and then, in the smoke, i could see the shape of a russian squad leader, squatting beside a window. all i could see was his shape, but, his hat gave him away (i'm about 10' from him, too).. so i blasted him, i wonder if he thought i was cheating? i wonder if he could see my shape? sometimes i get frustrated by something like this, but, i have to wonder exactly what they see on their screens.. i have no doubt that people cheat. it's the last thing i think of for my failures, though. i never assume someone is cheating, unless there is no shadow of a doubt that they are.. my wife hears me complaining and she always says, maybe theyre cheating.. i usually say.. maybe they are, but, i think i just did the wrong thing or nah im just not on my game.. i try to give people the benefit of doubt, but, it's hard to sometimes.. real hard..

If you took away unlocks, leveling and kill-death tracking, I'd be willing to bet the number of hackers would be instantly reduced by at least 50%.

Reactions: Justd1e and u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
The dubious kills are when people managed to headshot you with a single bolt round while you're in the middle of the smoke.

Of course it makes sense to hose when you're a defender and the attackers lay down smoke. As an attacker, I love putting down smoke and then hoofing it across the open ground 50 metres away while the defenders peer hopefully into the cloud.

Upvote 0
I too have killed a few that were in smoke by basically just blind firing my ppsh or mp40 and getting lucky, but I don't actually see them. I also try to give benefit of the doubt in most other circumstances - but when I get one-shot in the middle of smoke and I am more than 90% sure no one tracked me into it, then like what said - it is really hard.

My question to the Devs is: What potential exploit/issue is there currently giving the apparent magic eye, if it is not the use of a wall hack? Just curious. If an issue has been identified on your end, and you have a fix, then it can only bring improvements. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I figured it was from Tank Hull MGers of doom

Or a lucky shot

I know I've killed a few people through smoke with my MG. Generally I avoid shooting into smoke....but considering most of the morons in game think they are supposed to run through it, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Smoke is a natural grenade magnet as well on Apartments ...

Upvote 0
I've killed scores of people in smoke without cheating.

I just unload LMG bursts randomly. It works pretty well. Enemy thinks they're hidden by smoke, but then they are all dead and stuff.

This isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about 100% obscuring smoke, and getting taken down with a single round from an MG or assault rifle. There's lucky shots into smoke, and then there's cheating.

Upvote 0
This isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about 100% obscuring smoke, and getting taken down with a single round from an MG or assault rifle. There's lucky shots into smoke, and then there's cheating.

I know it's not what everyone is on about, I was just saying.... Not all smoke shots are cheating, so let's not get that idea into people's heads. I've nailed people in the smoke with single shots out of my MG before. No cheating involved. Just dumb luck.

Upvote 0